Post Reco Safety

Twiggyjumps
Twiggyjumps Member Posts: 116
edited October 2017 in General discussion
So I’m now home. Did a little housework gingerly. Omg as I can’t feel much sensation in my abdomen after diep flap and breasts, leaning over the sink could have poked myself.
Not sure how long I’m going to have large areas of numbness for? And does anyone wear a body protector or know where I can get a lightweight shield or anything? I could easily accidentally stab  myself against anything like leaning into a corner edge of cupboard for example.
Something light and airey.
Anyone know of anything?
Anne x
Tagged:

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Maybe one of the lightweight armour tops that cyclists wear if it makes you feel more secure? I think you will get a sense of yourself quite quickly, you surely didn't randomly impale yourself on the furniture before the op. OK, maybe you did ***veiws own bruised legs with bemusement*** Marg x
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    @Twiggyjumps, if you're serious about the protective wear you could always get a protective sporting vest.  Bmx, fishing, motorcycle etc etc. There are light weight ones available. Could be worth a look to ease your mind.
    I reckon best bet would be protective motorcycle body armour. .Let us know how you get on. Xx Cath
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    Hi @Twiggyjumps, I am almost 4 years from my bilateral TRAM.  The tummy numbness is something the drs don’t really speak much about. I still have quite a large, maybe the size of a saucer numb area. I think it is something you get used too. I have never felt the need for protection as such, but I did wear an abdominal binder for 6 weeks post op. Not all surgeons use them. I felt quite lost without it when it was gone and so switched to big girl support undies. Maybe if you try something like that for a while and see how you go. 
    Paula xx
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    Funny about our need to protect our new and healing bodies! Although Zoffiel is right in saying we do get a  sense of ourselves quickly. I’m still wearing a crop top to bed which gives me a sense of protection and security for my numb breast and implant. I told the surgeon this and she laughed and said how often did I scratch or injure my nipple in my sleep before.  Good point haha.  But I continue to wear it. Whatever helps us feel secure works!! Jane xx
  • Twiggyjumps
    Twiggyjumps Member Posts: 116
    Hahaha Jane, I suppose but I’d hate to wake up with scratch marks or rupture sleeping on them. Although I don’t want to sleep on my front, I wouldn’t mind sleeping on my side from time to time.  That would be nice. So yep I’m with you. Crop top