If you are helping then help!

MichelleGS
MichelleGS Member Posts: 12
Rant warning  :)

Last year I had to have radiation therapy for 9 weeks and contacted the local support group to help with transport to and from treatment because of overwhelming tiredness and a 100+km round trip to treatment every day.  They offer this service BUT only if the appointment times suit them.

This year I have to have 5 weeks of radiation therapy and so asked another local group for the same help.  I know people who volunteer for this group and they encouraged me to do so.  Today they have told me that they can't help me because my appointment times are too early.  I politely pointed out to them that I work full time and I'm trying to keep my job going and that if I have later appointments then I wouldn't be able to work more than half a day at a time (treatment is a 100km round trip from home).  There is no qualification on their website about times etc and when you talk to them they don't raise this until after you tell them when the times are.

Now, I know they are volunteers who are giving their time etc etc but I got really ticked off when I was told it was too early to ask people to do it (leaving at 6:45am).  Well how do you think I'm doing it!  I'm the one who will probably have radiation burns, discomfort and unbearable tiredness!  And it's my second time of this ride in 12 months.  By the way, I'm only asking them to do 8 of the 25 appointments.

End of rant.

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Anyway you could have an end of day appointment instead and start work a bit earlier?  It might be a viable alternative.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there Michelle where abouts do you live ??? I'm in the Brisbane north region near Bribie island and I'll help you if I can. I'm up with the birds every morning. Margie xx
  • MichelleGS
    Thanks Margie but I’m in NSW near Newcastle  :)
  • MichelleGS
    I did think about moving it but because of travel and times available for treatment it would mean missing 3 hours of each day instead of less than 1.  Also the last thing I want to do when I’m exhausted is sit in a car for 3 hours