Tamoxifen

iserbrown
iserbrown Member Posts: 5,543
Well woo hoo is what I say!  I had seen on the news last weekend that some drugs had been reduced in their end price to us the patients.  Well to my surprise I needed to pick up my next pack of Tamoxifen (Sandoz brand) and instead of the usual $38.50 today's price was $19.50!!  Woo hoo!!

I hope that translates to other drugs that we all have to purchase

Tagged:

Comments

• Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    That's great! I hope the others are cheaper too...
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    Hmmmmm
    How much do people pay for Arimidex?
    I just googled and found this <<Breast cancer drug anastrozole, sold under trade name Arimidex, costs $19.20 for a box of 30 1mg tablets in Australia, compared with $2.45 in Britain.>> from an article in the Sydney Morning Herald from March 2017.
    I always pay $38.50! I'd love to save almost $20 per month! The UK is looking attractive - fancy getting it for $2.45!!!
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Fantastic
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    edited October 2017
    I was sold the Tamoxifen Sandoz (Australian made) instead of the Novladex-D (Imported from the UK). Much cheaper is a good thing. 
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Thanks @iserbrown just read Letrozole now $23 ish and anastrozole too happened Oct 1 haven’t checked others as is very long list of reductions 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    It would make a huge difference wouldn't it.  I pay $38.50 per month for Arimidex - I think I can get another brand cheaper but to be honest, I'm not game to change.  So far I have minimal side effects so I don't want to put that at risk.  
  • Romla
    Looks like only generic versions not Femara or Arimidex 
  • Romla
    Am curious @Hopes_and_Dreams so will ask my oncologist the difference between branded and unbranded as would have hoped was exactly same chemical composition 
  • Hopes_and_Dreams
    Hopes_and_Dreams Member Posts: 760
    @Romla, they do have the same chemical composition but some ladies on this site have said that they tried a different brand and did notice a change in side effects.   Maybe it doesn't effect everyone the same but for me it's not worth the risk.  I've also been taking a vitamin cocktail each morning along with Arimidex for the past 14 months and again, something is working for me so I'll just keep on going.  And cross my fingers that the drug companies eventually do the right thing and reduce the price of drugs which are helping keep us cancer free.
  • iserbrown
    I had a time there where my preferred brand of Tamoxifen was unavailable and had to go with an alternate...............goodness me what a bad time that was..................side effects that I hadn't experienced previously............so glad when my preferred brand came back on stream
  • Romla
    Intereting comments ladies - I have only been prescribed Letrozole and thus far 9 weeks in is ok with exercise ( daily one hour walk and twice weekly stretch/balance class) and 2 CaltrateBone Health tablets plus Prolia injection. I do get a few hot flushes and bit of joint pain the latter I seem to be able to walk thru.Will still ask the question out of personal interest but pleased to see reduction in price of my hormone therapy drug. Hope for everyone however their preferred brand is reduced in price too.
  • Romla
    I think differences between branded and unbranded pharmaceuticals should be investigated as does not seem logical
    to me if they have the same chemical composition . That does not make them “ brand substitutes” in cancer treatment and is very worrying as if some patients do not receive the same best treatment.
  • iserbrown
    From the place we shouldn't rely on totally Dr Google, but it should give you an idea, sometimes it is the binding materials et cetera that don't agree with us

Copy and paste:..............

Most people will never notice a difference. “According to the FDA, generic drugs do not need to contain the same inactive ingredients as the brand name product. Inactive ingredients are those that have nothing to do with the therapeutic action of the drug; binding materials, dyes, preservatives, and flavoring agents.Feb 22, 2015
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,354
    It's the binders - the substances used to hold the active ingredients together in tablet form. The active ingredients are legislated and must be the same. But binders differ so may cause different reactions particularly if you are taking other medication and supplements too. 
  • Lisa_BCNA
    Lisa_BCNA Staff Posts: 140
    Hi all, it's Lisa from the Policy Team. Just wanted to jump in and provide the link to information on the Therapuetic Goods Administration website about generic medicines.

As you have said, generic medicines contain the same active ingredient as the existing medicine.