Travelling Hairfree

Pebbz1981
Pebbz1981 Member Posts: 32
HI all,

I am hoping to be travelling to Hawaii in november but this will be my first trip with hairloss, I usually wear hats and beanies and scarves on my head and have not had the courage to walk out of the house Bald as yet, I was just wondering if anyone had gone on holidays and what they wear in the heat and especially in the Beach/pool?

I was thinking of being brave and walking out with just a headband on my head as i wont know anyone in Hawaii but the thought of everyone looking at me and judging or feeling sorry for me makes me second guess my choice. I am 36 years old and i constantly get looks while out and about as i also use a walking stick for support.

Comments

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Hi @Pebbz1981
    You walk out proud, with or without any covering (but be careful of sunburn) and stuff what other people think !  Picture some of these little babies with a headband on - um, is that the look you are going for ?  That would probably make people stare more.  Anyway, think of it this way (from another stick-user) you have a great tool right there to threaten any idiots !
    Be brave and be bare.  Whatever you do, have a fantastic holiday.
    Hugs  Summer  :-)
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    I understand how you feel, but honestly, who cares what others think. I went around bald coz in brissy it's hot.  Couldn't care less what others thought. I wore a cap outdoors just to avoid sunburn on my bare scalp. Enjoy your trip.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    I bought 2 paper "straw" hats when I was bald - very soft on the skin! And cool and shaded my head. I got mine online from o'seas but I think you can buy them fairly easily now. 
  • Harlee
    Harlee Member Posts: 106
    I always wore a hat or scarf outside mainly to avoid sunburn on my bald scalp. It was much cooler than wearing a wig during summer. 
    One of the best things was a "fringe" from the cancer council wig library. I was given 2 and I regularly wore both of them under my hat. One as a normal fringe and the other backwards so I had some hair on my neck line at the back. 
    I didn't swim publicly while I was bald as I have my own pool. A few months after my treatment finished I went to Thailand and by then I had very short hair. Nobody even looked twice at me. 
    November is 2 months away - is your hair growing back yet? If so you may be pleasantly surprised by how much you have in November. 
    If it's not growing back - sorry :-( but there are a lot of reasons why people have no hair. I was regularly congratulated on shaving my head and a lot of people thought I did it to raise money.
    My standard line was - Yes I shaved for a cure - only sometimes I explained it was MY cure.
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Ah, just do it. Anyone who judges you can go and get stuffed.
    To be honest, the worst thing about cruising around bald is people wanting to talk to you about why. Just remember you are traveling to one state of a country that is populated by some of the strangest people on the planet. I would be very surprised if anyone looks twice at you. If they do it's their problem not yours. Marg xx

• Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    I think I would be wearing a hat anyway in Hawaii. What about a baseball type cap, it will shade your eyes and can be worn with most clothing, they came in all shapes and colours. Just use sunscreen on your neck. A soft cotton hat would work just as well too, the cancer council has some great ones that will travel well. They also give protection to your neck and can look quite stylish. Try tying a fine scarf around it to dress it up.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I was too worried about getting sunburnt so I carried a fold up hat with a brim.  Then in air conditioning my head got cold so I had little cotton caps.  I had a sun protection swim cap through nammu.  Made of swimsuit material. Can get wet. They have some with peaks too.

http://www.nammuhats.com/shop/
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    I went to Cairns after my chemo and it was hot and sticky.I wore a canvas hat with wide brim and soft cotton bandanas.I didn't want to get sunburnt and it's what I felt comfortable in.I couldn't do bald and it wasn't because I worried what others thought but rather how I felt about myself.We are all different so just wear( or not wear)whatever gives you the confidence to walk out the front door.
  • mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,323
    I live in Cairns and I actually swim with a lightweight cap on due to the sunburn risk, and I have hair.  Funny as i'm typing this I can hear the "you can leave your hat on" commercial that is running to help prevent melanomas.  
    These days with all the sunsafe stuff, most people are in hats and caps.
    Enjoy Hawaii... I loved it.
    Paula xx
  • HIT
    HIT Member Posts: 261
    Lots of tips and ideas.  Do whatever you feel like at the time.  Pre chemo I hated my ears, allways told hairdressers to leave hair there to hide them, even with short styles.  But during chemo I learnt to love my ears, and my head shape.  I had a few compliments when I went around bald, so ignore the idiots and enjoy your holiday whatever you feel like putting on your head.  PS  I miss being bald quite often, no more bad hair days
  • Nadi
    Nadi Member Posts: 619
    I understand the fear of everyone looking at you while outside when bald, but it can also be a nice kind of experience. Due to the hot flushes and sweats from chemo I couldn't stand to wear anything on my head. So bald when out and about it was. I was very aware of people around me and never got any uncomfortable looks. What I did get was kind comments from people who had been there and done that ie former chemo patients who were nice and incredibly supportive. In fact in the end my baldness made me feel like part of a club. Just wanted to let you know it can be a great way to meet nice people who fill you with hope and inspiration. Have a great trip.
  • Pebbz1981
    Pebbz1981 Member Posts: 32
    Thank you to everyone for your comments and suggestions. I hope i will be brave enough to walk around bald in hawaii, but i have bought a few hats and pretty scarves to take with me just in case.

• lgray3911
    lgray3911 Member Posts: 207
    hey @Pebbz1981 I live in Port Douglas Far North Queensland so it's hot and I have two small boys who love swimming so I have rocked the bald. I get my head henna tattooed every 2-3 weeks and I love it!! Sun hat if I'm out and about for long periods of time but otherwise just the henna. The reaction from people has been amazing and really boosted my confidence when out and about and bald! 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    I just hope you have the most awesome time in Hawaii. Wooooohooooooo!!!! Xx Cath