Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Scared of my diagnosis

Options
After almost reaching the 5 year mark, from stage 2 breast cancer, I have just been diagnosed  with metastatic breast cancer.  With bone cancer on spine, sternum, skull, hips. I am 42, with 3 young children, who is absolutely petrified and not really sure what my outlook is.  I'll be starting nab-Paclitaxel chemo treatment in couple days.  I am so scared, is there anyone with/had similar diagnosis.  What else did you do to help yourself, chinese medicine,  yoga, supplements, etc?

Comments

• Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    Hi @Peonie Rose 
    That really sucks, this is a shit of a disease.

It's probably best to stay away from the alternative drug therapies until you get through the chemo--there can be some nasty complications and while it is tempting to 'double up' it's not a good idea.

The majority of oncologists these days will co-operate and help you figure out what supplements are compatible with your treatment. If yours just shuts you down and won't discuss it, get a new onc. There may be very little that is OK, but if that avenue is something that interests you, you really need someone who you can communicate with.

I've had a local recurrence after ten years and though it shits me to tears to be back on the cancer bus, I'm heartened by how much things have changed since my first treatment. Best advice I've been given, apart from the medical aspects, is that you need to look after yourself. That may sound like woo-hoo nonsense when you have three kids, but your mental health and energy levels are really important. Schedule those yoga classes and GO. Even if it is not convenient for the rest of the family. They will adjust, and you need to set some ground rules to get you through this. Good luck. Marg xxx
  • Zoffiel
    Zoffiel Member Posts: 3,372
    Options
    There is a group here for those with metastatic disease, someone, perhaps @Jess_BCNA may be able to set you up with a link. That is where you are most likely to find others who are in a similar situation.
  • Tennille
    Tennille Member Posts: 174
    Options
    Im here right beside you. 41 and mets to bones and liver,diagnosed this year and I too have young children. It scares me too. Hang in there and we will get through this together. xx
  • Peonie Rose
    Peonie Rose Member Posts: 2
    Options
    Thankyou Zoffiel for your advice

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    Options
    Hi @Peonie Rose as Zoffiel has mentioned we do have a private group - Living with metastatic cancer. We do have members of the online network that are in a similar situation and yes you will find them in this private group. Just know you are not alone, the members of the online network are all here for you. We do have a professional one-on-one counselling telephone support service if you are interested. You can call us on 1800 500 258 or email contact@bcna.org.au. If there is anything I can help you with please let me know.

• angg66
    angg66 Member Posts: 188
    Options
    @Peonie Rose I'm in the same boat as you. I was diagnosed with breast cancer in late 2012. In mid 2016 I was diagnosed with mets in my bones (lower back), liver & lymph nodes in my chest. I have two young children a 10 year old daughter & a 7 year old son. I was devasted at first but now I get on with life. I am living life to the fullest while I can. I started nab-Paclitaxel around 5 weeks ago. It's been bearable. All the best .... Ange 
  • ElaineG
    ElaineG Dragonfly Posts: 60
    Options
    Hi Peonie Rose and ladies
    All those overwhelming feelings are so very normal - it is terrifying at first - processing so much info and struggling to prioritise what to do first etc.  It is so true what Marg says - yoga etc and anything (e.g. massage or acupuncture or meditation that will help ground you emotionally is critical to your overall wellbeing.
    Also give yourself permission to grieve and cry and feel miserable - allowing yourself to process the shock, and grief enables you to ultimately accept the situation and diagnosis and then plan ahead - without planning too far ahead - and to enable you to enjoy and live in the moment as much as possible.
    Be cautious with chinese medicine - they can certainly help but with some chemos or other treatments may be contraindicated depending on how the drug is metabolized and absorbed.
    Reach out to others with MBC - as we do understand the inherent emotional rollercoaster that lies ahead - a ride that you never chose or asked to go on, but one where you can get some joy and sense of perspective.
    Good luck :)  Elaine
  • Hankster
    Hankster Member Posts: 86
    Options
    Hang in there I got mets after 10years clear I was to say the least in shock.  I have it in my neck. Spine and pelvis.  Good news in 3 years in and stable, no real change from my original  diagnosis.  There is hope I I met some one who is 20years post mets diagnosis. Process be kind to yourself and try and be positive.  Take care ❤️