Finding the right word

The user and all related content has been deleted.

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    I still have those moments but it's getting better.  
  • AllyJay
    AllyJay Member Posts: 942
    Don't worry...in our house we have clicky things, (remote controls). Pully outie thingies, (tweezers). The computer sucky outie thingie (USB stick)...thingimajiggy. whatsit, watchumacallit (all purpose). My brain is porridge. Sighhhhh....
  • Cynth6
    Cynth6 Member Posts: 189
    Yes I swear chemo brain does exists. When I send texts they never make sense because I'm always missing a word or forgetting how to spell something. I hope this isn't permanent and goes away when chemo is finished !
  • Romla
    Romla Member Posts: 2,092
    Understand the frustration and fear  - had similar when on statins and now on cancer drugs plus think at 63 my memory not as sharp as it used to be. I just accept it - work round it like @AllyJay mostly , occasionally chew over it when I think it's important  - in the scheme of things it's an annoyance as many other more pressing things .I do however carry a notebook plus use diary function in my phone as find am forgetful not just about words.
  • InkPetal
    InkPetal Member Posts: 499
    It's 8 months later and I can finally say that this has stopped happening. I have hit regular amounts of derp me.

It was so frustrating. I "lost" words like toothpaste AKA "teeth brushy stuff", pencil AKA "scribble thing", and spoon AKA "scoopy scooper stick - sh* that thing that does the scrape, f* forget it". I would have pulled my hair out if I'd had any at the time.

IT GETS BETTER. BUT it might not be the worst yet.
    For me, it hit the worst when I was stuttering to get out a sentence (I actually cried about it - being all chemo fragile). I felt so defeated and lost, knowing what I wanted to say then "T - T - St - kuh" coming out, ending up hanging my head and resorting to desperately holding up my empty mug to ask for a cup of tea. It's amazing how much I used to take communication for granted. Language is such a powerful tool.
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Even worse is when I say something to my husband and he says I said something completely different from what was in my brain that I wanted to say. I can mix up whole sentences! 
  • Mrs_H
    Mrs_H Member Posts: 102
    I thought I was going nuts when I noticed this happening more frequently. I've always had troubles with mixing up words in my sentences. "How did a place like me end up in girl like this?" Now I just take a minute to think about what I want to say, forget I'm having a conversation and move on to the next thing  :D
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    edited August 2017
    Oh, @Joannie, That is so me.
    Try doing a crossword puzzle, even the simplest words evade you!
    I found this was a bit of an issue when I went into menopause and it was helped a lot with HRT.
    When I went off the HRT due to breast cancer, it came back.
    However Chemo made it much, much worse. I couldn't think of the simplest words, and even stringing a sentence together became a problem.
    It nearly had me in tears of despair as I thought I was losing all my vocabulary forever, and it was something I had been proud of.
    It is getting a bit better now, though I am only 9 weeks out of chemo, as long as I take it slowly the words do mostly come to me.
    Crossword puzzles are still a challenge though and everything is worse if I am tired.

I am still persisting with the puzzles to try and get the words back, I hope it helps.

Jennie
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Sounds like we all live with dementia .....  wheee ..... isn't old age looking so good ???
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    edited August 2017
    Agree, Joannie !
    Doovalackie is used quite often, as are Thingamybob, Wiggle Stick, What's it etc etc ....
    Just as well we can laugh at ourselves.
    Summer  :-)
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.