Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Anyone on Halaven?

lesleyb
lesleyb Member Posts: 40
My onc wants me to start Halaven soon but he says it is quite expensive even for an invalid pensioner.  He mentioned $900 for the first injection? and then it is free.  Anyone know any more about accessing this drug.

Comments

• Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    @brightspace @wendy_h67 any experience with this drug?
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Sorry unable to comment on personal use.

• Kathy_BCNA
    Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101

Hi Lesley

Halaven is on the PBS for treatment of metastatic breast cancer so you shouldn't need to pay more than the PBS script fee for it - which is currently $38.80 or $6.30 if you have a health care card.

You have not confused it with Faslodex have you? Faslodex is not on the PBS and there is a $900 cost over three months for it.

If you would like to call BCNA on 1800 500 258 and ask for me, I will see if we can sort this out for you.

Kathy (BCNA Policy Team)

• lesleyb
    Thanks Cathy.  My onc definitely said Halaven and it was $900 for the first shot.  Maybe he is confused.
  • Kathy_BCNA
    Kathy_BCNA Staff, Member Posts: 101

To be eligible for it via the PBS you need to have had at least two previous types of chemotherapy for metastatic disease and be having Halaven as a monotherapy (ie on its own - without any other PBS-subsidised treatments). Talk to your med onc about why you can't get it through the PBS. Don't pay for it without ringing us at BCNA first!

• lesleyb
    Thanks Cathy.  My onc definitely said Halaven and it was $900 for the first shot.  Maybe he is confused.
  • lesleyb
    I hvae only had Aromatose inhibitors - no chemos as yet.  Maybe that is why I am not eligible Kathy.  He also mentioned Xeloda but I was quite distracted at the time and not sure if he meant  Halaven plus Xeloda or either of them - just one at a time.  I don't see him for another 6 weeks so I guess I will have to wait and see what he has to say then.
  • Ann-Marie
    Ann-Marie Member Posts: 1,142
    @lesleyb let us know how you go.