Lifestyle and Diet Changes After Cancer.

au0rei
au0rei Member Posts: 248
Hi all, I have done chemo from Feb to April after surgery in Dec. Radiotherapy was done in May. My herceptin treatment will continue till next Feb. I thought that was it, until I heard several cases of cancer recurrence around me!!! Ok, to be exact, at least 7-8 cases. Most of them are breast cancer cases but there were 2-3 other cancers. Some of them came back within months, some a few years and even one after a decade. These negative news unnerved and puzzled me.

So I started to researching the many questions I had.

I wonder if you ladies ever experience this (hearing negative news like that)? Do you ever ask why?

My researching seems to point out that lifestyle (physical, emotional, mental) and diet changes are extremely important to avoid a recurrence. I read about how animal protein promotes cancer growth. And I have made further adjustments to my diet. I hardly take animal protein and it's been a few months now... not easy cos I need to feed a family who still eats meat.

Has anyone heard about the Gerson Therapy? Apparently lots of cancer patients benefited from this therapy. And it's beneficial for even patients who have done the conventional treatments.
Tagged:

Comments

• Mrs_H
    Mrs_H Member Posts: 102
    Interesting topic. I'd be interested to know if there have been any permanent food changes that people have made post treatment e.g. Avoiding alcohol, reducing chocolate, etc. cheers, Jen.
  • Afraser
    Afraser Member Posts: 4,352
    Healthy diet, all things in moderation still seems the best advice. I may be wrong but I understood that the Gerson diet had been found to be ineffective and possibly dangerous in more than one analysis by a reputable body. Australians tend to eat quite a bit of meat so less meat, more fish, more veggies sounds a good idea. I have pulled back my dairy fat a bit but still drink low/no fat milk as I need to keep up my calcium levels. I also take a calcium supplement. Not eating triple cream Brie however is possibly good for all sorts of things, including my weight! Hard to find anyone who advocates for alcohol, although an occasional glass is probably OK. I work on the basis that 4 squares (no more!) of very dark chocolate may be beneficial.......
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    edited August 2017
    Some links with a reputable review based on it's scientific research...which didn't seem to happen. 

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/cancer-in-general/treatment/complementary-alternative-therapies/individual-therapies/gerson

https://www.cancer.gov/about-cancer/treatment/cam/patient/gerson-pdq

Well after a quick read I'd be giving the Gerson diet a miss. If it was affective and found more than 60 years ago ...well it would be standard treatment.

Basically a general well balanced diet are health recommendations. Not too many processed meats. Limited alcohol and lots of water.

https://www.cancercouncil.com.au/cancer-prevention/diet-exercise/nutrition-and-diet/
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    The only thing I read everywhere is that being overweight is a risk factor in both initial cancer and reoccurrence.
    I haven't seen anywhere that it says why, but I would think that would point to having a healthy diet and being your ideal weight.
    I am trying to change my lifestyle to do just that.
  • viking1
    viking1 Member Posts: 288
    If you have a look at the recent research on this website, specifically the Edith Cowan University exercise program results I think it will give you a different perspective on exercise. I'm very excited about it as it's up the road from me! Must add that I have been shocking with exercise all my life but this is amazing stuff.  Sensible diet and exercise is basically the best you can do I think ... but open to other suggestions!
  • au0rei

The only thing I read everywhere is that being overweight is a risk factor in both initial cancer and reoccurrence.
    I haven't seen anywhere that it says why, but I would think that would point to having a healthy diet and being your ideal weight.
    I am trying to change my lifestyle to do just that.

I just want to share that I am on the skinny side and I had cancer. And just as medical science keeps saying cancer is related to genes, I find that so wrong because most cases including mine are not genetic! There was no prior history! It's such a wrong thing to say and so when I was diagnosed with BC, it was such a rude shock and wake up call. And from what I am researching, only 2-5% are truly genetically linked. And my best friend's sister isn't overweight to get a recurrence. I believe it's the diet and lifestyle. She was also on hormonal therapy but the cancer recurred in the fifth year. And now she's switched to other hormone drugs because the oncologist said that the previous one was not working.
  • au0rei

viking1 said:

If you have a look at the recent research on this website, specifically the Edith Cowan University exercise program results I think it will give you a different perspective on exercise. I'm very excited about it as it's up the road from me! Must add that I have been shocking with exercise all my life but this is amazing stuff.  Sensible diet and exercise is basically the best you can do I think ... but open to other suggestions!

I have definitely been reading that exercise helps and some clinical studies have linked that exercising 3 times a week to lower rate of recurrence. I did not understand why at first. I thought perhaps exercising helps us release stress physically and mentally so we are happier overall? But then recently I read about cancer being toxicity and deficiency (from the Gerson Therapy)! So suddenly I had a new perspective towards exercise. I now believe that exercise helps us not just have a stronger body in general, but sweating probably helps us in detoxing! We eat (esp if we don't eat clean) and are exposed to so much toxins daily and perspiration is actually a great way to detox! We just bought a Nordic Track Elliptical so the whole family can do our workouts at home. I struggle to drag myself to the gym! I think high impact exercises or any exercises that help us to perspire will be excellent. I am no doctor but it sounds like common sense to me!
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    I know this debate comes alot, but I also scoff at it ALL...thing to remember is all studies are MINORITY they seriously have no bearing at all on BC and that came from a Presentation I attended at Freemasons!!! Thing is yeah blah blah blah, they say overweight women have a higher risk of recurrence BOLLOCKS, they actually say overweight is a risk factor in all health risks. Nothing specific! All about what makes you feel GOOD, Im not a chronic exerciser but I do what I want...I love chocolate...I dont eat excessively but I NEVER deny myself...because food has no bearing at all...dont beat yourselves up. I enjoy a wine too when I feel like it, not as often anymore but thats personal because chemo killed alot of it for me. If diet and exercise were factors most of the population wouldnt get BC at all and I wouldnt have had a recurrence LOL. The best thing anyone can do along the way....is look deeper and really nurture you more...be self indulgent thats more key than anything because typically as women and mothers we put ourselves last....try first....I do now a much happier individual. x
  • Mira
    Mira Member Posts: 678
    edited August 2017
    Hi, I was already a healthy weight and following a healthy diet and exercise for years before I was diagnosed so I don't know that it affected me getting cancer.  What I can say with certainty though is that being fit and healthy meant my cancer was found earlier, so my treatment was less and my body was able to cope better (surgery, radiation, tamoxifen).

I'd recommend a healthy diet & exercise for those reasons rather than looking for it to prevent the cancer. 

Funny story, my breastcare nurse asked me for details  about the health and fitness program that I am (and now work for) on so she could look into it for clients!

• au0rei

Mira said:

Hi, I was already a healthy weight and following a healthy diet and exercise for years before I was diagnosed so I don't know that it affected me getting cancer.  What I can say with certainty though is that being fit and healthy meant my cancer was found earlier, so my treatment was less and my body was able to cope better (surgery, radiation, tamoxifen).

I'd recommend a healthy diet & exercise for those reasons rather than looking for it to prevent the cancer. 

Funny story, my breastcare nurse asked me for details  about the health and fitness program that I am (and now work for) on so she could look into it for clients!

Hi Mira, I was also a healthy weight when I was diagnosed, I was skinny! I hardly exercised at all. But I definitely was not living an ideal life - both physically and mentally toxic and deficient. I am grateful that I have small boobs (haha!!!) and a holiday away which miraculously led to to feel the lump! That said, I do have two cases around me where the cancer was very small and lumpectomy, chemo, radiotherapy done and yet the cancer came back! So I feel that we can do our very best with regards to conventional treatment but if we do not adjust our lifestyle esp to change our internal body climate, it is possible that the cancer can recur in time. Oliva Newton John's cancer came back 25 years which is shocking! I also read of vegetarians and vegans and fitness fanatics getting breast cancer! Could be still an improper diet or lifestyle? I don't know!
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Hi everyone there are many previous posts in health and lifestyle
    bcna has lots of info also mentioned about page 3/4
    Thanks iserbrown for mentioning home economists yes we do give lots of health tools to young australians
    Lots of info from Soan Kettering and Breast cancer.org in the us

Tips
    Read widely and reflect back on the info from bcna and cancer a u stralia
    Some diets lifestyle programs  can be harmful there are so many comments to reflect on 
    The alkaline diet and therapy is one such that was on tv this week ..lots of bogus and dangerous anti and non scientific 

All best 
    Bright ..home ec 
  • primek
    Olivis Newton John started her own wellness cancer resort and still had a recurrence ..we can only try to be healthy but nothing will guarantee outcomes. But she certainly still looks glowing. 
  • primek
    edited August 2017
    Olivia Newton John started her own wellness cancer resort and still had a recurrence ..we can only try to be healthy but nothing will guarantee outcomes. But she certainly still looks glowing and it will assist her recovery from any further treatment.