Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Abraxane experience

angg66
angg66 Member Posts: 188
Hi all,
My oncologist has recommended that I do chemo for the mets in the lymph nodes in my chest. He has recommended Abraxane (3"weeks on 1 week off). I would love to hear from ladies that are doing or have done Abraxane. What is your experience with side effects. Thanks Ange xxx

Comments

• Hulos
    Hulos Member Posts: 94
    Hi Angg66, i was put on Abraxane because  i had a bad reaction to paclitax on my 4th round of chemo (would have been 12 , 1 everyweek) , as a result my oncologists put me onto abraxane for the remainder of sessions (8).
     I had no side affects and was a shorter time on with the canula,  half hour but did take longer because of all prep time etc..
    Dont forget to order your bag of goddies for abraxane patients. You will be given the code by oncology nurse atvthe hosp to log onto..
    Good luck with yours. ..take care..xxx
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    I had abraxane for six treatments then swapped to paclitaxel for the other six. I had diarrhea for twelve weeks but mostly manageable. Some body aches at times and mild neuropathy. Not too bad really but everyone is different.
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Hi Angg66, I was on Abraxane 5yrs ago when first diagnosed with mets. in the bones. I had 6 cycles of 3weeks on and one week off. It worked well keeping the cancer stable and some areas shrunk in size.  It also brought my tumour markers way down.  Since then I have been on Xeloda,  Aromison,  Affinitor,  which all worked for a while. Now I'm back on Abraxane and last scans where stable, with tumour markers tumbling again. Side effects are not too bad . Tiredness for a few days after, mild neuropathy of fingers and toes. My main problem is constipation from the anti nausea drug they give you in the drip. Some weeks are better than others. The best part is when you have a week off to recover. I really make the most of that week. Hope you go well.
  • angg66
    Thanks everyone for your responses. I've decided to start the Abraxane chemo in early August. I'm meeting up with my oncologist again next week to discuss side effects in more details. I am a stay at home mum & I'm worried the side effects will stop me from doing what I need to do for my kids. I've also had a bad experience with my previous attempt at chemo (Xeloda), so am very scared about the side effects of Abraxane. Wish me luck. xx
  • Unicornkisses
    Unicornkisses Member Posts: 402
    Wishing you the very best of luck.
  • Scooper
    Scooper Member Posts: 113
    Wishing you all the best Angg.  Much love to you .  xxxxx
  • JeanMargaret
    JeanMargaret Member Posts: 15
    Hi Angg66. I've just finished my 5 month course of abraxane. The worst side effect was constipation due to the antiemetic but I didn't get any neuropathy. Tiredness became an issue towards the end. It was meant to be 3 weeks on and 1 off but I often didn't get to the third as my neutrophils were too low. 
    I hope your treatment is going ok. Best of luck. Jeannie
  • angg66
    Thanks for your feedback Jeannie. I am starting Abraxane on August 2. A little apprehensive but it needs to be done..
    Ange