Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

4 year anniversary - Im still here!!

wendy55
wendy55 Member Posts: 774
Hi Ladies, as the title suggests its now been 4 years since THAT DAY, you know the one!, when you are sitting down{Which is just as well} as the news you are about to receive will knock your socks off, you have METASTATIC BREAST CANCER, you need to see an Oncologist and the stats are 7 years, just like that! no niceities no pleasantries just straight out like that, believe me this early breast surgeon needs to go back and learn some customer service skills.
Well here I am 4 years on, a bit worse for the wear but most definately still here, due to modern medical science my 6 tumours in my liver are now down to 2 - and they and the cancer in my bones/spine are stable - my cancer markers have been sitting around 11 and 12 for the last 6 months, and yes I feel a little guilty about that, when I know of others which are so high, however I have done the hard yards, perservered when I thought that I was ready to chuck it all in and I live to fight another day.
I want to send a big thank you to ALL at BCNA if it wasnt for this forum and the support and understanding I have received along the way I am not quite sure that I would be in  the good head space that I am now.
I have  the support and encouragement of an amazing McGrath nurse, I have utilised community services, so I now have a cleaner twice a fortnight, I have a pyschologist in Adelaide and I have also used BCNA's counsellors, the services are there, we just have to find them, I have the most amazing partner, he is my soft place to fall. How lucky am I
I log on most days and read the words that you all write, sad, happy, encouraging but most off you are just there, to advise, laugh and cry with, to give that little bit of support when we need it most - you ARE the most incredible group of women that I have ever had the pleasure to"meet" some of you are not with us any more and that makes me so very sad, to think of all the beautiful, loving 
women who have been lost to this most dreadful disease, I hope and I pray that there will be a cure for those of us in the "Metastatic Breast Cancer World" one day in the not too distant future, until then, WE, all of us, just have to take each day,love our families and friends and especially our selves  create memories and live each day to best of our ability, some of us will run marathons, some of us will climb mountains, but each and every one of us is running our own marathon and climbing our our mountain.
Thank you, and Yes I will write this all again inaother 4 years timne!!!

Wendy  

Comments

• fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    @wendy55 glad you are still here to write these words and encourage others. I get very confused as to the path forward.
    I hope to for a cure in the future and also greater insight how to stop cancer developing in the first place. 
    My mountain climbing skills are a bit wonky at the moment. I am not terribly good at caring for myself this I am working on.
    I finished treatment about four months now all clear but finding the way forward tougth.  best wishes
  • nelliejs
    nelliejs Member Posts: 20
    Such great news, Wendy! I hope I can write something similar in three years time. Hearing stories like yours gives us all hope. Well done and I look forward to reading about your eight year anniversary.
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    Wendy, that's great to hear. You sound awsome and positive. 
  • Brenda5
    Brenda5 Member Posts: 2,423
    Fantastic news Wendy. Gee those markers are low. Fingers crossed they stay that way for years. <3
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    Wendy Congratulations!!! That's wonderful news!!! here's to many many more!! xx M
  • Southgirl
    Southgirl Member Posts: 80
    Wonderful to read your post @wendy55  For me it is ten months since THAT DAY, I'm really still coming to terms with it (my metastatic diagnosis was 11 years after my initial breast cancer).  But I am so uplifted by you and so many others on this forum who are living well with the uncertainties of Metastatic Breast Cancer.
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Congratulations, Wendy!  We need to count our milestones, and with all the research going on and finding things every week, here's to any more! x
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    Good to hear positives. Xxx
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    Hi Wendy, loved reading your post. You represent hope and bravery and that gives me strength should I ever have to face metastatic bc. Forget Mt Everest- you've already climbed a bigger mountain.Sending you well wishes and love.xx
  • au0rei
    au0rei Member Posts: 248
    @wendy55 I am very encouraged by your post and well done gal, you are such a trooper!!!

I found this amazing blog and it encouraged me a lot and hope it does for you if you read it.

http://www.derailingmydiagnosis.com/

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Thankyou for sharing Wendy. Stories like yours inspire us. I've only recently finished treatment for early bc. My hope of course is that it's gone ...never to return. But of course no crystal ball and the fear remains prominent. ..but your stories ...inspire us ...there is life with metstatic disease ...a darn good life. I look forward to reading your next 4 year post. Congratulations. X
  • wendy_h67
    wendy_h67 Member, Dragonfly Posts: 466
    Great news Wendy ! You have definitely fought a hard battle and still fighting. It is good to read your story and to know how far your come. All Wendys are strong although sometimes I struggle.  I have made 5yrs since that dreaded diagnosis but my oncologist didn't give me any time frame so I did not ask her. If I was getting close to my use by date I don't want to know. Are you still on Xeloda?  I'm back on I.V. Abraxane but really it's not too bad . I Often meet people at the chemo ward who are worse of than me. You are definitely an inspiration so just keep fighting and hopefully there will be new drugs available for us soon.  All the best 
  • brightspace
    brightspace Member Posts: 445
    Super dooper your a trooper! thankyou you for sharing
    great to hear the progress with medical traetments for us with mets xo b
  • Rapunzel
    Rapunzel Member Posts: 32
    Good news indeed!! Awesome!!! It's a pleasure to hear positive stuff. <3
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @wendy55 , Congratulations!!! What a fantastic achievement.
    Image result for free image 4 year anniversary
    Fantastic!!! Here's to many many many more. Xx Cath