Recent Research on Chemotherapy For Triple Negative Breast Cancer

Carols
Carols Member Posts: 5

I was wondering if anyone knew how to access the recent research from Europe which advises that women who only had 6 cycles of chemo only survived up to 5 years after original diagnosis and women who had 8 cycles of chemo survived 10 years plus?  I'm trying to get a copy of this research to read as my oncologist has told me I now need to do 8 cycles of chemo instead of the 6 cycles he originally told me.  Apparently a study was done on women who had Triple Negative Breast Cancers.

Comments

• fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    @Carols your lucky . I am triple negative and had 4 fortnightly dose ac. Then 10 weekly doses of Taxol supposed to be 12 but stopped due to neuropathy.  Also had radiation.
    Research changes constantly and is often out of date. I am widely read but consider my oncologist well informed. I rarely read survival statistics. I have finished all treatment and am now this moment cancer free to me that is all that matters.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Which chemo regime are you on?
  • Carols

I'm having TAC  every 21 days (3 weeks) for 18 weeks 6 cycles originally and now they want to change to 8 cycles?

TAC = Docetaxel (T), Doxorubicin (A), Cyclophosphamide (C)

• Carols
    I also have 24 hours later an injection of Pegfilgrastim - this I do at home the next day
  • primek
    I couldn't find the trial but if you have a bc nurse she might be able to provide it for you as they have more access to papers than feneral public.
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @carols , I dont know whether this is helpful at all but is certainly an interesting read and a good site . http://www.gotoper.com/publications/ajho/2016/2016mar/neoadjuvant-and-adjuvant-chemotherapy-considerations-for-triple-negative-breast-cancer
    Hope it helps Xx Cath
  • Carols

Unfortunately I don't have a breast care nurse, however, I have rung the McGrath Foundation to see if there is one in my area I could talk to and waiting for them to call me back.

Thank you for the website very interesting read. 

• Annedipa
    Annedipa Member Posts: 73
    @socoda that is interesting reading. Thanks for the link. @Carols i have not seen anything on the number of doses of chemo just the combinations. It seems most oncologists want to hit triple negative hard. I was triple negative and considered high risk ...larhe tumor and positive lymph nodes. Had neoadjuvant AC on 3 weekly cycles x4 then Paclitacel/Carboplatin. I was meant to have the latter weekly for 12 weeks but after 4 weeks it was evident the tumor was growing again so it was stopped and i had surgery and another 2 dose dense AC after the surgery as a safety net, followed by radiation. I am heading towards 3 years since diagnosis and all is good other than joint pain relating to menopause. I am trying hard not to think about what might happen and take heart in the knowledge that the more time passes it gets less likely :)
  • Michelle_R
    Michelle_R Member Posts: 901
    Hi @carols - I also had triple negative, and the chemo regime was taxol/carboplatin for 12 weeks (couldn't manage to get to 18).  Also had double mastectomy, 28 radiation treatments, and hysterectomy. My Oncologist wanted to hit it with everything in the arsenal.  So far I am 5 years post-surgery and clear of any symptoms. All the best for your chemo!
  • Carols
    Thank you everyone for your comments.  My chemotherapy has now been changed after completing 5 cycles every 21 days (15 weeks) of TAC to now another 9 weeks of chemo but only one drug Paclitaxel every 7 days.  I now don't have to worry about completing 8 cycles of TAC which was really taking its toll on me physically.  The chemo regime has been changed due to the TAC causing issues with my heart.  This new regime will be much easier to handle and will still give me 24 weeks of chemo which is what they wanted to achieve with 8 cycles.  The recent research was about doing chemo for 24 weeks instead of 18 weeks. 
  • CherylMcI
    CherylMcI Member Posts: 4
    Hi everyone. I was diagnosed with BC late last year. 1 was DCIS and the other DCIS which had broken out (size 17 mm) I opted for mastectomy and implant reconstruction. Pathology came back as triple negative BC and I’ve now gone to have full body and skeletal scans.  I’m going to have the Axillary Clearance not sure when as the Sentinal Node showed cancer.  My doctor has talked about many options but is getting discussed at multidisciplary team meeting next week to guage best way forward.  Problem is if I need radiotherapy at some stage, it will wreck the implant and it will need to be removed, followed by tissue reconstruction.  I’m hoping (given my surgery was so successful) that radiotherapy won’t be necessary. I am realistic about chemo. Any thoughts??
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    hi @CherylMcI
    it might be best to make this a new discussion do you know how to do that ? 
  • CherylMcI
    CherylMcI Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2018
    Sorry. Don’t know my way around all this yet but I’ve just noticed the tab above so I’ll do it now.  Thanks.
  • onemargie
    onemargie Member Posts: 1,264
    Hi there @Carols I had TNBC may 2016 aged 43 and I had 4 doses of AC chemo two weeks apart and 4 of paclitaxol 2 weeks apart so 8 rounds of chemo  in total I had grade 3 stage 2a with no lymph node involvement and my scans were all clear.  I’m not sure of the study you are talking about but your oncol should have access to it for you to get a copy. Margie. Xx
  • primek
    edited January 2018
    @CherylMcI I believe if less than 3 nodes after clearance then radiotherapy might not be needed. They will change your implant over if needing radiotherapy as necessary. They may suggest a tissue expander slightly larger than you implant due to shrinkage before  radio but that's up to your surgeon. Probably it would only be the auxillary that they would be targeting. You won't know until path back and discuss with your team.