Cancer the Uninvited Guest

RIM24
RIM24 Member Posts: 6

This week I was asked to speak at A Biggest Morning Tea fund Raiser for the Cancer Council. I tried to summarise how cancer impacts individuals in a way that everyone could understand. 

This is my version of cancer as the uninvited guest.

Comments

• Southgirl
    Southgirl Member Posts: 80
    Hi @RIM24 - you have certainly captured exactly the effect cancer has on all of us. I found myself reading each line and nodding in agreement. I think those words would definitely help to explain the impact of cancer. Well done - and thank you for sharing it with us.
  • primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Oh wow...says it all.
  • June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,818
    Well said !
    I hope your listeners took some of that away with them as it may just help them to support one of their friends or family members one day.
    Summer  :-)
  • Annabelle
    Annabelle Member Posts: 45
    Sums up my life since October last year
  • Hulos
    Hulos Member Posts: 94
    Well put together and said..thank you ☺
  • fairydust
    fairydust Member Posts: 290
    RIM24 Wonderful post.  Covered the topic beautifully.
     However you forgot to mention  what  presents the guest leaves behind when it goes.
    Left over presents of fatigue ,neuropathy, lymphodemia etc  Some people have no idea of the after effects of cancer. They think its like the flu you get over it and then your fine. You look fine ,so your okay now?
    Or I get, you  have finished treatment your right now?  Where do I begin . 

• RIM24
    RIM24 Member Posts: 6
    Thank you everyone. I agree Fairydust with the presents left behind and the idea that people think you are okay now once the initial treatment is over. It is an ongoing education process that many do not truly understand or may not wish to acknowledge. I guess the most important factor is that we are surrounded by those people who understand and support us the best way that they can.
  • Breezer110
    Breezer110 Member Posts: 15
    Well said. 
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0

A counsellor from the Cancer Council recommended this recently as part of the idea of self-compassion - being kind to yourself, acknowledging the pain and then working through it. She said to replace suffering with another word if you prefer. I like the idea of this and it has worked for me. I hope it helps someone else. :) 
  • LMK74
    LMK74 Member Posts: 795
    This really does sum up how it feels.
  • melclarity
    melclarity Member Posts: 3,502
    @LucyE this is what ive said constantly also....self nurture is imperative and so key in the whole thing together with putting YOU first above everyone and everything. My priority for the 1st time in my life became ME and thats not selfish...what that did is inexplicable in my acknowledgement and healing of me. Hugs Melinda xo 
  • Meema
    Meema Member Posts: 4

Jude_M said:

Hi @RIM24 - you have certainly captured exactly the effect cancer has on all of us. I found myself reading each line and nodding in agreement. I think those words would definitely help to explain the impact of cancer. Well done - and thank you for sharing it with us.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    You said that so beautifully, Melinda. I think that's what cancer has taught me too. It has also given me a sense of well-being I hadn't had for a while. Loved chatting about this. x 
  • socoda
    socoda Member Posts: 1,767
    Hi @RIM24, Spot On!!!! Xx