My birthday today & Mastectomy tomorrow

MKitty68
MKitty68 Member Posts: 261
Tomorrow is the day, I have to be at the hospital at 6am, my best friend is picking my daughter & I up around 5am to take us to the hospital for my mastectomy & Axillary clearance.
Today is my birthday, I've had lots & lots of friends wish me well & some friends dropped in to see me today, with gifts & cake. 
My boyfriend spoilt me all weekend & surprised me with a biker ring this morning and another patch for my bike vest.
The ring is an eagle and it's wings wrap around my finger to create the ring itself, i love it! My daughter took me out for lunch today & has made me a yummy chocolate cake. 
My parents called me earlier this evening & my son called me just now. 
I am strangely calm, i felt a little emotional this morning, but apart from that I am feeling Okay. 
Normally prior to surgeries i have been calm as can be, then i get anxious worrying "what if they find cancer?"- but this time it is for cancer... and they know that it's not spread anywhere else, so no idea how i'm going to be with this. I will ask for a pre-op sedative anyway, just in case! 

Comments

• primek
    primek Member Posts: 5,392
    Hope surgery day is kind to you and you breeze through and heal quickly. Just think, this time next year you'll be celebrating 1 year survivorship. Happy Birthday. X

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,327
    Happy Birthday and all the best for tomorrow xxxxx Paula :)
  • MKitty68
    Thank you ladies 
  • MKitty68
    One thing I forgot to ask is roughly how long does the surgery take?
  • primek
    You would be looking at a couple of hours for your surgery.  A straight mastectomy is reasonably quick, the auxiliary clearance is more fiddly as they want to minimize nerve issues. For you though it will seem like seconds of course. Hopefully this means you will be on the ward just after lunch, depending on your position on the theatre list. X
  • MKitty68
    Thank you for that.
    I was more wondering for the sake of my daughter, parents, boyfriend & best friend. 
    My parents are interstate & are naturally worried. My daughter will be there waiting though. 
  • BarbieAnne
    BarbieAnne Member Posts: 174
    All the best.
  • nikkid
    nikkid Member Posts: 1,766
    Happy birthday and wishing you a great recovery @MKitty68 - sounds like you have some wonderful support around you! I was diagnosed for my birthday last year....means I can celebrate every year from hereon in being wiser and cancer free at the same time  :) .

Thinking of you today xxxx
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445

Thinking of you as you go into surgery today @MKitty68

• MKitty68
    Found out I'm third on the list, waiting in pre-op at the moment. I'm restless as hell
  • SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    I know that feeling.... Hugs ..... Breathe in and the let it out .... and do it again .... slowly more hugs 
  • nikkid
    It'll soon be over and your recovery begins....big hugs....
  • MKitty68
    I'm back on ward now
  • nikkid
    Hope you're feeling ok and any pain is under control. Take care x
  • primek
    Hope you are doing okay. X