Delayed Chemo

Options
Pen11
Pen11 Member Posts: 33
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Hi Everyone,

I had my first chemo two weeks ago (tolerated well) and was all prepared to have number 2 this Monday that just passed but my white cells were too low so oncologist wants to delay in for a week. I'm having chemo every two weeks, so my white cells had not come back up where they should have. I'm now eligible for the white cell booster, but I've been quite nervous about the delay. I could push to have chemo on Friday, but am now thinking what's the difference between Friday or Monday. 

Anyone else had a similar experience? 

Thanks,
Penny 

Tagged:

Comments

• Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Penny, great that you tolerated your first chemo session well. Seriously, if the onc wants you to postpone then you should. I also have trouble with my white blood cell count, I have to give myself the neulastin injections each chemo. I have had to postpone chemo twice now for a week each time. Once as I got shingles, which I have never had before and once because of my bloods. The thing is, if you get sick whilst you're on chemo, you're body is so compromised that it will really struggle to fight off any infections. A common cold can end up being really serious, hence why they get you to check your temperature all of the time. A few days difference will not make any difference to your overall treatment but may well save you getting really sick. Good luck with the rest of your treatment. Regards, Karen
  • Cook65
    Cook65 Member Posts: 733
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Penny, great that you tolerated your first chemo session well. Seriously, if the onc wants you to postpone then you should. I also have trouble with my white blood cell count, I have to give myself the neulastin injections each chemo. I have had to postpone chemo twice now for a week each time. Once as I got shingles, which I have never had before and once because of my bloods. The thing is, if you get sick whilst you're on chemo, you're body is so compromised that it will really struggle to fight off any infections. A common cold can end up being really serious, hence why they get you to check your temperature all of the time. A few days difference will not make any difference to your overall treatment but may well save you getting really sick. Good luck with the rest of your treatment. Regards, Karen
  • AnnaB
    AnnaB Member Posts: 176
    edited March 2015
    Options

Penny, It is very frustrating isn't it - I had a similar issue all the way through my chemo treatments.  I needed Neulasta with all my chemo and with the last 3 needed to take Neupogen injections pre chemo as well.  As Karen says the risk of infection out weighs any negative in delaying chemo.  I found it really stressed me though.  I was so ready to get through chemo and feel like I was moving forward. Any delay was devastating. 

Fingers crossed for you that Neulasta helps keep your counts up.

It's been a year since I finished my treatments.  You'll get through this buddy.

Anna

• AnnaB
    edited March 2015
    Options

Penny, It is very frustrating isn't it - I had a similar issue all the way through my chemo treatments.  I needed Neulasta with all my chemo and with the last 3 needed to take Neupogen injections pre chemo as well.  As Karen says the risk of infection out weighs any negative in delaying chemo.  I found it really stressed me though.  I was so ready to get through chemo and feel like I was moving forward. Any delay was devastating. 

Fingers crossed for you that Neulasta helps keep your counts up.

It's been a year since I finished my treatments.  You'll get through this buddy.

Anna

• Pen11
    Pen11 Member Posts: 33
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks so much for your comments and encouraging words. 

Lots of of love,

Penny xx

• shat
    shat Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2015
    Options

i had my third treatment delayed just yessterday. my white blood cells ok (due to neulasta) but both red cells and platelets are very low becasue apparently they take longer to recover. Frustrating is an understatement. You read about these things but you dont really understand until it happens to you. All the best for the rest of your treatment.

• shat
    shat Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anna B,

so now I have had 2 of the last 2 treatments delayed. :(. It really does play with your emotions. It was my white cells this time on 1.1 (even with Neulasta!) I think I may just try to expect monthly treatmnet from now on so that I dont have to refrain from smashing everything in sight due to frustration!

Other side effects have been very tolerable though so far, just feeling tired (and depressed).

How about you? where are you at with your treatment?

shat

• AnnaB
    edited March 2015
    Options

Shat, thanks for the update.  I think your strategy of anticipating monthy treatments is a good one.  Also sounds like it will save you money in not having to replace smashed household goods!  Wow WBC 1.1 - I think my lowest was 0.9.

I finished my treatment 12 months ago.  So I am happy to report to you from the other side.  You will get through this eventually.  It took me nearly 8 months to get through what should have been 6 months of chemo.  Thankfully radiation went smoothly.  Will you be having radiation?

Like you I'm thankful I wasn't plaqued with lots of side effects with chemo.  Fatique but the most discomfort I had was bone pain with the neulasta and neupogen.   As I'm a nurse my low counts meant I couldn't work during Chemo.  Work could have been a good distraction but I was grateful to be able to cocoon myself on bad days.

I often think about you and hope the white cell fairy visits in time for your next treatment.

Anna

• AnnaB
    edited March 2015
    Options

That is great news about surgery.  I chose to have a mastectomy hoping I could avoid radiation but annoyingly needed it anyway.

Although I elected to have bilateral mastectomy in hind sight I would definately chose the least invasive surgery offered.

Sounds like you are in good hands.

How wonderful to be more than half way through chemo - excellent