Why not join the Living with metastatic private group? Access group via the link here.

Coping with chemo

Options
Lorello
Lorello Member Posts: 1
edited September 2016 in Metastatic breast cancer

I have just had my scans and the lesions are back in my Liver.

I have started on Taxotere and Adriamycin and am really struggling with the side affects. The worst thing is the metallic taste in my mouth, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas that would help. My last chemo was Abraxane which I tolerated really well.

Just wondering how others have gone if on this same medication. 

Comments

• yetbeung
    yetbeung Member Posts: 167
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, 

Whilst I'm not on the same medication, I know a couple of ladies who had the metallic taste, & they recommended sugar free mints or eucalyptus lollies to help with the metallic taste...Eucalyptus especially as it has quite a strong flavour to disguise the metallicy one. If you get the sugar free ones you don't have to worry about gaining weight from them. 

Hopefully that might help?

from Bobbie

• yetbeung
    yetbeung Member Posts: 167
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, 

Whilst I'm not on the same medication, I know a couple of ladies who had the metallic taste, & they recommended sugar free mints or eucalyptus lollies to help with the metallic taste...Eucalyptus especially as it has quite a strong flavour to disguise the metallicy one. If you get the sugar free ones you don't have to worry about gaining weight from them. 

Hopefully that might help?

from Bobbie

• Silks
    Silks Member Posts: 79
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I am two rounds down on AC and found that the metallic taste was hard to cope with at first. I don't know whether this will help, but I can write the things that do and don't work for me. I hope it's of some use to you

I flavour water with a good squeeze of lime, lemon or orange. I like a variety of infusions (hot or cold) like liquorice tea, peppermint tea, camomile tea, rosehip tea, pomegranate tea. Not too much of any one sort though!
    Freshly vitamised juices i.e. watermelon, pineapple, kiwi, banana, orange are great,
    I have rekindled my childhood love with the banana milkshake (I really don't know what that's about)
    Coffee and English tea with milk are no longer enjoyable and I really miss them :(
    With my food I stay away from any red meat as it tastes disgusting. Instead I lean toward chicken and white fish (tuna salad is a goodie for me). Cold crispy salads with lemon based dressing. I could eat tons of radishes.
    Any desserts I sweeten with maple syrup.
    I purchased a book online 'The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen' by Rebecca Katz. It focuses on nutritional foods during the chemo journey. I have found it to be very helpful.
    That and the occasional fruit tingle :)
    Hope this helps a little
    xx Silke
  • Silks
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just read up in my aforementioned book that tuna is not a good choice of fish. So please cancel the tuna salad. Instead they recommend Salmon (which is just as good if not better in a salad)
    xx Silke
  • Silks
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I just read up in my aforementioned book that tuna is not a good choice of fish. So please cancel the tuna salad. Instead they recommend Salmon (which is just as good if not better in a salad)
    xx Silke