hi and thank you

Options
arrow
arrow Member Posts: 43
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Just received a lovely welcome to this group from Mich x

I feel supported already and better than when I wrote the 'about me' profile info I'll copy below.

Thanks for having me and love and hugs to you all.

Lazy copy and paste info about me:

All I know so far is that it's a small (15 x 12 x 14mm), early, left breast cancer and that there is probably no lymph node involvement. Good news, right?

Lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy next Wednesday (6 August 2014) at SJOG Subiaco, concurrent removal of lymph nodes if indicated by pathology. My breast surgeon is Prof Christobel Saunders. 

All will be well and I have good family, friend and psychotherapeutic support (I take medication for major depression disorder). The amount of information and support available for people with breast cancer surprised me and I'm grateful for it. 

But - I want to be in control, I want it all to be over, I'm pissed off that I've had to cancel my holiday, I'm sick of hearing how lucky I am and sometimes I just want to scream!!!!

Love, hope and healing vibes to all of you out there who are worse off (or in a similar boat).

Tagged:

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Arrow, Welcome to our Perth group. I will be thinking of you as you embark upon surgery during this next week. I hope to meet you at one of our get togethers in the not too distant future. We will make a date pretty soon, and hopefully you will be able to make it. We usually hold these functions at my home in Mt Lawley.
    Hope everything goes realy well for you.
    Love Chris xx
  • arrow
    edited March 2015
    Options

I really appreciate your support and good wishes. I live in ML too so it won't be far to go :) Love Di (arrow) xx

• arrow
    edited March 2015
    Options

Your words of encouragement are so appreciated. I hope to see you at one of the get togethers. Very best of luck for your radiotherapy. Love and healing hugs to you, Di (arrow) xxx

• Al
    Al Member Posts: 325
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome to the Perth Women group. You will be well supported here. The girls are a wonderful group of women and are always there for you. Stay strong and positive. We have all been there and know what a long road it can be.

Take care and if you need any advice just message me. Best of luck with the surgery and follow up and I'll hopefully meet you at one of our gatherings.

Al (Alison) X

• arrow
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Al. I'm learning and appreciating what a lovely group this is. Your message was so comforting. I feel very supported. Hugs to you and all, Di (arrow) xx

• arrow
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you Al. I'm learning and appreciating what a lovely group this is. Your message was so comforting. I feel very supported. Hugs to you and all, Di (arrow) xx

• Jenjoy
    Jenjoy Member Posts: 49
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Read your post and I am a newby too. I don't know what type of cancer I have other than its 1cm and in the left breast as well. Just wanted to wish you well on your surgery and beyond.
  • JessicaV
    JessicaV Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Arrow, When I read your post, I thought back six months to when I was newly diagnosed but pre-surgery, when it seemed that the only control I had against overwhelming fear and imminent death was to learn enough about breast cancer and surgery and pathology and treatment options to be able to understand enough to be able to make good decisions that would determine things I had not yet even heard of. I did learn  on the Susan Komen page that mastectomy and lumpectomy-with-radiation  have the same survival rate, but only because there is a higher rate of recurrences with the appropriate extra surgery and treatment, and that the majority of lumpectomy patients keep their breasts and don't have to deal with recurrences, but some do. And I learnt that if a surgeon fails to get clear margins around the tumor  it's not because they miscalculated or were not competent, it's because the the tumor had grown through the natural physical boundaries of what was removed eg the membrane around the breast tissue, (So a second op may be needed to get clear margins in such cases). But I never managed to get enough information to fully understand what was happening, and oten felt I was making decisions in the dark. And I did learn this is normal, and that we all muddle through and alternate between despairing and celebrating and trying to do deals with God or the devil or whatever.

It seems to me you have made a great start lining up a top breast surgeon and a very good hospital for surgery, and found support groups. There is so much you cannot organise until after your operation and after your pathology results are ready about a week after your op.

I would like to pass on to you three useful bits of wisdom came my way from fellow travelers, which I found really useful  and maybe you will too. The first is that often, whenever you think you know what is going to happen next or where you stand now, it is likely to change. So the most important thing is to be ready to roll with the punches, the surprises, the shocks, the disappoinments and also the unexpected opportunities that suddenly appear. Let reality be reality.  The second is that you have more strength and more resilience and more capacities of all kinds within you than you have ever imagined, and that you can and will get through this, and it will be easiest to do so if you stay real and don't pretend to be positive when you feel negative just don't let yourself get stuck there. You are doing this now, seeing how angry and scared and all the rest you are instead of pretending. And the third is that you have to remember to breathe and let your breath hold you together, to remember to walk for half an hour everyday that you possibly  can so your body remember the rhythms of life and movement, and to remember be open to receive the love and companionship that is yours from the rest of us walking tour own breast cancer journeys along side of you.

• arrow
    edited March 2015
    Options

Best things that have workrd for me so far - rest, accept support and help, accept that people don't always say what you need them to say, be patient with yourself, take small steps to understanding and information, the wonderful people in this group. Take care xxx

• arrow
    edited March 2015
    Options

Not usually an 'airy-fairy' person but angel's the word that popped into mind in response to that heartfelt, hard-won advice. It has really hit the spot. At each of the small steps I've taken so far, I've thought I knew what the answer was going to be. Wrong!

I need to let go. First step is a walk in the sunshine. Thank you Jessica and all of you xoxoxo 

• Pixie29
    Pixie29 Member Posts: 59
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm so glad you found our Perth Women group, welcome!
    I imagine you will be feeling pretty anxious tonight about your surgery tomorrow. I had the opportunity to hear Christobel speak at a BCNA Forum in Perth recently and I know you are in excellent hands! From my experience I felt much better once I knew the tumor was removed and I could get on with the treatment and recovery, the waiting is always the worst!
    Please let us know how you are going, as I know we will all be thinking about you. Don't hesitate to ask us questions, no matter how trivial they may seem....this forum is a wealth of experience and advice.
    Take care of you, Vicki x :)
  • Pixie29
    Pixie29 Member Posts: 59
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm so glad you found our Perth Women group, welcome!
    I imagine you will be feeling pretty anxious tonight about your surgery tomorrow. I had the opportunity to hear Christobel speak at a BCNA Forum in Perth recently and I know you are in excellent hands! From my experience I felt much better once I knew the tumor was removed and I could get on with the treatment and recovery, the waiting is always the worst!
    Please let us know how you are going, as I know we will all be thinking about you. Don't hesitate to ask us questions, no matter how trivial they may seem....this forum is a wealth of experience and advice.
    Take care of you, Vicki x :)
  • arrow
    edited March 2015
    Options

I appreciate your message so much xoxoxo Di (arrow)

• JessicaV
    JessicaV Member Posts: 297
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi, by now you will be recovering from surgery, perhaps surprised how painless it is at this stage, and relieved to be rid of the tumour, but still a bit concerned about how to deal with drains, infections, and whatever happens next.

I just remembered a great resource I accessed early on, which was really useful. First was to contact  Breast Cancer Care WA (08) 9324 3703, 1034 Wellington Street, West Perth WA 6005, who have breast care nurses with lots of info, who will be very helpful to you. My breast care nurse, Denise, gave me my  free"My Journey" kit, with a very comprehensive and easy to read  book about early breast cancer, and also a very useful diary for the journey with suggestions for questions to ask at each step of the way.Your surgeon may have given you one of these, if not, get hold of one asap through Breast Cancer Care WA (or BCNA order on 1800 500 258 or online http://www.bcna.org.au/new-diagnosis/my-journey-kit/order-my-journey-kit )

I found it great to have a contact who was so knowlegable and so accessible to help answer odd questions that bothered me. I was also under the care of a lovely breast care nurse at the hospital where I had surgery, but she was not so accessible, and very busy, and provided a different service assisting the surgeon in my post surgical care.

Hope your pathology results are good when you get them next week, and that you are recovering really well. best wishes

Jessica