Almost there...

Options
benellendan
benellendan Member Posts: 25
edited March 2011 in Day to day

Hi All

I can't believe its been two weeks since I last posted!  Goes to show you how busy life can get....

It's only 2 days now before my left sided 'preventative' mastectomy (I had the right side removed when I was first diagnosed with cancer in Nov 2009).  This time, there are 13 cysts in the left side, with 3 looking 'suspicious' but are too small to biopsy (average size is 3mmx6mm).  I'm not taking any chances though, and I want the darned thing off to minimise my risk of cancer returning however....there's a small but significant risk that those 3 suspicious cysts are malignant (according to my oncologist and breast surgeon) so even though I'm going through surgery again, I still have to wait for the pathology results to confirm what they actually are.  Naturally we're praying they're benign.

It's been a tough few weeks though.  I had to go off a lot of my medication (I also have Rheumatoid Arthritis) including pain meds to prepare for the surgery and that's knocked me around a bit. I've also suffered a dip in emotions and I'm not sleeping the best.  I am so grateful though that I have a wonderful support network around me and I've called in some favours during this time to help me cope (a glass of wine being one of them!)

It may be a few more weeks before I can post an update as I'll be recovering from surgery but my thoughts go out to all the new ladies who have recently been diagnosed.  The one thought I've had in the past few weeks is that I'm a lot stronger than I ever thought I was - we all have it in us to deal with difficult situations.  That doesn't mean denying it or pretending that things are okay, just that steely resolve inside of us that says "I'm gonna fight and this thing WILL NOT beat me."

Love and hugs....