Profile pic

hb
hb Member Posts: 112
edited February 2011 in General discussion

That's me, in the middle, with the grey teeshirt on.

The women around me are 'my team', including my mum and sister. We had lunch at a local pub on saturday. It was part strategy meeting, part celebration (we called it 'the cleavage craic'). The dress code was 'low cut' but hardly anyone complied -- still, we had many drinks & a good laugh.

Everyone in the photo knew at least one other person there before saturday, but now they all know each other. It gave me the opportunity to get everyone together and give them the same message about what I want and need. (At the moment, I don't know what I will want or need, so I just want to meet with everyone again in 4 weeks time!) I wanted the ppl who care most about me to know that they are not alone, either, and that none of them needs to take the whole load of helping me. (This was an especially important message for my mum, who wants to look after me even though she is 80!) My team exchanged contact details and formed a phone tree so that they can communicate among themselves about what I need.

The lunch also served as a great introduction to how I want to approach this thing. It's the first truly positive experience that's directly connected to my diagnosis, and I'm going into surgery on wednesday (left mastectomy and level 3 axillary clearance) knowing that they are 'with' me all the way.

My gorgeous sister (whose face is obscured, but she's the fabulous cleavage in the blue dress on the left) wanted to 'be there' for my mastectomy more than just in spirit. She wants to endure some painful, permanent but positive change to her body. She announced at the craic that she's getting a daisy tattoo on her wrist while I'm in surgery. (my nickname is 'daisy', as my previous profile pic suggests.) How cool is that??

Just wanted to share this event with all of you. It feels really good to know that my (non-surgical) team is ready to roll, and now I have our next meeting (in 4 weeks time) to look forward to, too.

Go well, everyone, especially those having surgery this week. 

Heather xxx

Comments

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

Aw, what a great pic!  And go you for the positive approach! :)

Actually, re the pic --- did the system crop off your sister's head, or was that the photo?  If it was the system, you're welcome to send me the original and I can crop it to the right size and keep all the heads!  My email is dtreble@bcna.org.au.

All the best for Wednesday, Heather -- you definitely have a great support crew with you.

• hb
    edited March 2015

Thanks Di! have posted you the photo.

cheers

H

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015

Hi there Heather, congratulations on your brilliant idea of getting your support team together (and at a pub too ...luv it !!!) to get to know each other and to share their places in your life with each other.

When you are first diagnosed your brain is spinning with so many things it's hard to know where to start and most importantly who to invite accompany you on this journey.By the looks of things you have surrounded yourself with a happy group and that's the main thing (as far as I am concerned).

Happiness creates positivity and that's exactly what you need at the moment.... even to the extent of your sister "sharing the pain" !!!

You will have so many meetings, appointments, tests in the next few days, weeks and months that there will be times you will feel totally overwhelmed by it all, but you will have your team at your back to lift your spiits when you are down .... and you can't put a price on the love and friendship that surrounds you.

you will all be in my thoughts on Wednesday ..... take care

Luv ... Shirl xx

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    edited March 2015

Hi Heather,

Love the happy photo and what a good idea to get everyone onboard.You seem really organised and positive.I hope surgery goes well and you have a good recovery.

Tonya xx

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015

Hey Heather -- did you send it by email?  It didn't arrive so do you want to try again?

• benellendan
    benellendan Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2015

Hi Heather 

I LOVE this idea - do you mind if I 'steal' it and use it for myself?  I have a great support network too (thank God) but some of those ladies (and men) don't know each other and what a great way to introduce everyone and enjoy some time together.  Honestly, on so many fronts I would not have been able to get through the past 15 months without them - they've fed my family, babysat my kids, prayed for me, did the grocery shopping, did the washing and ironing, took me to doctors appointments and medical tests, talked to me in the wee hours of the morning when fear took a hold so strong, sent me SMS's on a regular basis to cheer me up, dropped off flowers and made numerous cuppas and sat with me while I babbled on and on.  I have been so amazed by the human spirit's desire to just 'be there' in the midst of such a terrible time - it brings tears to my eyes when I think about it....

Bless you and your support team!

Sherry

• hb
    edited March 2015

Hi Sherry, go for it! We had such a great time. It was good for all of us I think. Sounds like your team is as precious to you as mine is (already!) to me. Go well!

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015

Hi Heather,
    Great photo! We could also include the photo into this post if you like.
    :-)