Breast Forms

Options
Traceylee
Traceylee Member Posts: 33
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Just wanted to share this with everyone.  As I know you can sympathise with me, external breast prosthesis are heavy to wear especially if you have had a double mastectomy.  My initial diagnosis saw me having a right total mastectomy 19 months ago so wearing one external prosthesis was not too bad.  Five months ago I had my second mastectomy so wearing two prosthesis was the start of my nightmare.  Having no breasts, I was continually pulling down my bra and the weight of each was very uncomfortable.  Because I was a bigger busted lady, I had to get my second prothesis the same size as the first which adds to the weight.  

Anyway, long story short, I know I am not telling you anything you don't already know, I started doing some research.  I know that there are some adhesive prosthesis on the market but found that they were really aimed at partial mastectomy/lumpectomy surgery.  I found a website www.thebreastformstore.com.au that makes adhesive breast forms that are just incredible.  Now if you look at the site it not only provides breast forms to mastectomy patients but also cross dresses so don't get put off by that.  

I ordered what is called Aphroditi, but there are some different items you can choose from.  The quality of the breast forms are top notch, every detail is perfect.  I received mine this week and have been wearing them for the last 4 days, showing, sleeping and normal daily duties in them and they have not budged.  They feel snug and quiet realistic on the chest and not heavy at all.  I can wear a normal lacey bra and will not ride up or did into me.  The only thing I would suggest is the choice of nipple, they are very pointy which may or may not be what you are looking for. 

The cost is comparable with external ones and you can claim your medicare rebate.  My set which included the adhesive ect was $780 and I could not be happier.  Just the feeling of having breasts back (i cannot have reconstruction) is just amazing.  I feel more confident in myself and how I dress, a great boost for my self esteem.

Anyway, have a look, they may not be what you are looking for but it is another option.

Hope you are all keeping well.  Take care.

Tracey-Lee

Tagged:

Comments

• Jess_BCNA
    Jess_BCNA Member Posts: 475
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Traceylee, It's realy good to hear you have found this service for adhesive breast forms.

If you haven't had a chance to look at the Directory on our website you can find it here - http://www.bcna.org.au/ldirectory/listing

Make sure if you come across any other services you have found helpful, or you would like to suggest this one so others can who are looking can find it.  http://www.bcna.org.au/sharing-support/find-services-your-area/suggest-service

~ Jess x

• Traceylee
    edited March 2015
    Options

HI Jess

Thanks for the information.  I was not aware of the directory.  Will definately share any further services I feel is useful.

Hope all is well with you

Tracey-Lee

• June1952
    June1952 Member Posts: 1,830
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ladies

I had a mastectomy on 28 August and had two subsequent surgeries, resulting in more than usual swelling and bruising but I am now beginning to research the range of breast forms available.  Being from a rural area I find I am able to be fitted for an Amoena breast form but this won't be until November.

I am lucky in that I was never 'well-endowed' so it is not too difficult.  As the weather here can be very hot I am wondering if the 'contact' forms would in fact adhere properly.  I do think I would prefer that as it would move with you rather than the form separate from the body when you lean over etc.  I guess once I go on Tamoxifen the hot flushes would also impact on my choice.

Any advice on your experience with the Amoena breast forms would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Summer

• June1952
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Ladies

I had a mastectomy on 28 August and had two subsequent surgeries, resulting in more than usual swelling and bruising but I am now beginning to research the range of breast forms available.  Being from a rural area I find I am able to be fitted for an Amoena breast form but this won't be until November.

I am lucky in that I was never 'well-endowed' so it is not too difficult.  As the weather here can be very hot I am wondering if the 'contact' forms would in fact adhere properly.  I do think I would prefer that as it would move with you rather than the form separate from the body when you lean over etc.  I guess once I go on Tamoxifen the hot flushes would also impact on my choice.

Any advice on your experience with the Amoena breast forms would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Summer

• Traceylee
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Summer
    My experience with adhesive breast forms is new but I have been quite happy. I have not gone a full summer with them yet so I will wait and see. I have learnt that sweat does effect the adhesive and you really need to use the anti-perspiration spray that is supplied before the adhesive. I always wear a firm bra or crop top when wearing my breast forms so they don't fall off if the adhesive lifts. If I have lift I just reapply some adhesive.
    I didn't get mine from Amoena, but The Breast Form Shop.
    Hope this helps. Best of luck.
    Tracey-Lee
  • June1952
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tracey-Lee

Thank you for your input.

My understanding is that the Amoena breast forms do not actually use a separate adhesive.  It sticks itself due to the design of the back.

Like you, I would wear a bra 'for security' !

Someone else may know about the Amoena ones.

Thanks

Summer