A little overwhelmed

Options
Samantha Jane
Samantha Jane Member Posts: 11
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hi,
This is my first blog as I have only recently been diagnosed with Breast Cancer. I am a little overwhelmed as it has all happened so quick and I am not sure if I am armed with all the information I need.
Diagnosis at this stage is Infiltrating Ductal Carcinoma on my right breast. I have seen the surgeon on Monday 24/6 for results and booked in for lumpectomy on 3/7.
It was a potential mastectomy with a second lump found however those results came back from the second core biopsy negative. Surgeon has told me he will perform the lumpectomy and also check for any nodes that have been effected whilst I am in surgery. My pathology reports thus far aren't showing receptive to hormones and he did say due to my age, 36, I may have to have chemotherapy regardless!
I am feeling overwhelmed as I know my husband and I listened in our appointment but I have lots of people asking me questions and I now feel I don't know what I am doing. The surgeon was warm and thorough but he didn't discuss recovery from surgery or with the potential of the mastectomy my options down the track.

Just looking for any advice I am a little overwhelmed and even though thinking positive getting quite anxious as I get closer to the day and read more and more.

Thank you
Tagged:

Comments

• Rachaelb1976
    Rachaelb1976 Member Posts: 10
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Samantha, my name is Rachael & I like you was diagnosed young (I was 37) I'm now 12 months post diagnosis & I've had lumpectomy, chemo, rads & now tamoxifen for 5 years - as other ladies will also advise you - no matter what your treatment plan take it 1 day at a time & be kind to yourself - the anxiety & the unknown & roller coaster of emotions is normal - it does get easier, but you wont feel like it will at the moment
    if you have a breast care nurse nearby communicate with them - they are a wonderful resource
    Take care & look after yourself xxx
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had the same diagnosis as you,also on my right breast,last September.I had a mastectomy,because the cancer was very deep ,and directly behind my nipple,but luckily it hadn't spread.I also had chemo,but this is dependent on what the oncologist thinks after seeing your pathology report.EVERY case is different.Recovery from the mastectomy was so much easier than I thought,and there was hardly any pain.Like Tonya said,if you need lymph nodes removed,it seems that the pain from this is worse.The best advice that I can give,is to have the lumpectomy,and concentrate on that for now.Dont look ahead,because you don't know what you will need yet.After your surgery,when you know what will be happening,then you can move on to thinking about that.It is easier said than done,to take things one step at a time,but it is definitely the best way to go.When people ask for details,you can just tell them that you are having the lump removed and you will know more later.Dont worry about having chemo,because for most ladies these days,it is not the nightmare that it once was. There is medication to help with all side effects,and many ladies on here have continued to work through their chemo.Look after yourself,and stay on this blog.It is truly the most wonderful place for support from others that know exactly how you are feeling at any stage of your treatment.Cheers xoxRobyn
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I had the same diagnosis as you,also on my right breast,last September.I had a mastectomy,because the cancer was very deep ,and directly behind my nipple,but luckily it hadn't spread.I also had chemo,but this is dependent on what the oncologist thinks after seeing your pathology report.EVERY case is different.Recovery from the mastectomy was so much easier than I thought,and there was hardly any pain.Like Tonya said,if you need lymph nodes removed,it seems that the pain from this is worse.The best advice that I can give,is to have the lumpectomy,and concentrate on that for now.Dont look ahead,because you don't know what you will need yet.After your surgery,when you know what will be happening,then you can move on to thinking about that.It is easier said than done,to take things one step at a time,but it is definitely the best way to go.When people ask for details,you can just tell them that you are having the lump removed and you will know more later.Dont worry about having chemo,because for most ladies these days,it is not the nightmare that it once was. There is medication to help with all side effects,and many ladies on here have continued to work through their chemo.Look after yourself,and stay on this blog.It is truly the most wonderful place for support from others that know exactly how you are feeling at any stage of your treatment.Cheers xoxRobyn
  • Chris P
    Chris P Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2015
    Options
    It really is information overload when you first get diagnosed, then it's a whirlwind of appointments and it often takes a few weeks to get over the shock of diagnosis and your head round what is happening. The one thing I will say is that everyone's journey is different, and you can feel like you're pulled along by it all.Remember to breathe, remember to be kind to yourself, ask questions, there are no stupid question, and don't be afraid to tell people when you need a bit space. Right now you're sat at the bottom of the mountain looking up, you will get to the top and look down at your journey and wonder how the hell you managed it, but you will be amazed at your own resilience, hang in there xx
  • Kellie.Smith
    Kellie.Smith Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options

Very wise words... As I'm only 6 weeks into this journey myself, they ring very true with me also xx

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome to a place you never thought you would be, as all the ladies have given you such good advice I can only add. Write down the question you want to ask before you have your next appointment, always take someone with you, and if your not happy tell them don't forget ultimately it's your journey not there's . I know it's the scariest thing you will ever go through. I sat having some treatment in oncology last week and a dr came in and spoke to a lady having chemo, I thought thank god he is not my doctor. Feeling comfortable is so important. And blogging here even if it's 2am is very therapeutic , you will get through it and one day like us, be giving support to others. Regards adean xx