Project Lead Cancun

Options
Lorraine
Lorraine Member Posts: 51
edited February 2011 in General discussion

Well what a  full on day.  Petrina (Burnett) and I have just completed our second day at the Project,  Today we covered a range of topics.  Specifically how a gene becomes a protein and how a mutation occurs and the difference between mutation and epigenetic changes.   we are more than  happy to share this with anyone who wants to know more. 

We both found the lecture on "Basic Science of Cancer" extremely informative.  This lecture clearly explained common breast cancer concepts such as estrogen receptor positivity.  Her-2 amplification, BRCA1, mutant triple negative phenotype to better understand how cancer treatment works.

The lectures are amazing they are experts in their respective fields and present in a manner conducive to learning. 

We are mentally stimulated, physically tired and very happy.  The setting is magic the food is good and the people are very warm and welcoming what more could one want.

Petrina will update after tomorrow.

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

How wonderful to attend this.  Thank you for sharing.  Where abouts is it being held?  I too am a "sponge" and want to know everything about this disease - to understand how it all works (treatment) and to have a better idea of the different types of bc.  I have two daughters, four sisters and a little granddaughter so it is important for me to fully understand all aspects of the disease.  Because this is my second "round" with bc the scare factor is now gone so it is easier to ask questions and understand answers.   I would be very interested in learning more and would be grateful to have access to your lecture notes.  In May 2009 (I think it was 2009) I was fortunate to attend the 15th International Breast Cancer Convention at Brisbane.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, lectures, speakers and of course the wonderful bc survivors.  God willing I have planned to attend this year's 16th convention in Taiwan in November.   It was the most uplifting three days that I have ever experienced.  When telling others of the experience I liken it to an Olympics - the bc survivors being the elite athletics who were worshiped and who had the most amazing comradeship between all ages, races and languages.  I look forward to more updates.XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

How wonderful to attend this.  Thank you for sharing.  Where abouts is it being held?  I too am a "sponge" and want to know everything about this disease - to understand how it all works (treatment) and to have a better idea of the different types of bc.  I have two daughters, four sisters and a little granddaughter so it is important for me to fully understand all aspects of the disease.  Because this is my second "round" with bc the scare factor is now gone so it is easier to ask questions and understand answers.   I would be very interested in learning more and would be grateful to have access to your lecture notes.  In May 2009 (I think it was 2009) I was fortunate to attend the 15th International Breast Cancer Convention at Brisbane.  I thoroughly enjoyed the experience, lectures, speakers and of course the wonderful bc survivors.  God willing I have planned to attend this year's 16th convention in Taiwan in November.   It was the most uplifting three days that I have ever experienced.  When telling others of the experience I liken it to an Olympics - the bc survivors being the elite athletics who were worshiped and who had the most amazing comradeship between all ages, races and languages.  I look forward to more updates.XLeonie