Newly Diagnosed

Chorsell
Chorsell Member Posts: 464
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi there... Well the last 6 weeks have been a bit of a ride .... microcalcifications on mammogram, biopsy, and then surgery to take a larger sample for a more definitive diagnosis to my diagnosis yesterday of high grade DCIS...

I think i am still a bit stunned but trying hard to get my head around what next and looking for resources and fellow travellers as i start this journey - which is what has brought me here...

would love to connect with people who  can help point me in the right direction, share their experiences or just listen to how im feeling and reassure me that "its normal"....

I am lucky as i have a really supportive family but there is something to be said for that connection of shared experience.

Whilst my practical and logical side tell me that mastectomy in my situation is the best alternative, my feminine side struggles with the loss of that part of me.

My head is racing .....

Tagged:

Comments

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015

I want to tell you how much this website helped me at the start, and all the way through my experience with TNBC.  I learnt how different we all are, how each person has a story, and how there is only one you so try not to assume the worst.  Do as I did, hope for the best!  I wont ever forget the day I was told I had Cancer, and although I am now back at work and it is 10 months since I finished all my crazy treatments, I will always be grateful to the lovely ladies who reassured me on here.  You will be ok, take one day at a time, be kind to yourself, try not to worry, were the words I read.  I experienced great things by reaching out to my local Cancer Council, and it soon became my second home.  As daunting as it all was, it was all do-able.  The "My Journey Kit" was like a bible for me, the Counselling I recieved kept my head together, and the Pilates DVD is a great source of relaxation and stretching.  Apparently, staying stress-free is as important as what you eat, I have been told.  Worry, anxiety is an energy sapper, so I wish you well, and be like a Monk and learn how to meditate!  X Bel

• Bearteggie
    Bearteggie Member Posts: 326
    edited March 2015

Sorry to hear that you have been diagnosed with BC but like Deanne and Tonya welcome you to this wonderful site.  Receiving your diagnosis and waiting for your treatment plan is the most stressful time of this journey and of course your head is racing.  Once you have your treatment plan you will feel less anxious and over time you will settle into the journey.  I have a week ago finished my last chemo treatment and looking back can honestly tell you it is doable.  You will have good days and some not so good but if you face it head on you will come to a place of acceptance.  Be very kind to yourself.  This is the time to put yourself first.  I have found walking each morning for 45 -60 mins helps with fatigue, meditation every afternoon destresses and gives me extra energy for the rest of the day.  Seek phychological help if you suffer from anxiety as it is hard enough to cope without dealing with depression/anxiety too. 

Keep coming back here and ask as many questions as you need and to off load your troubles.

Big hugs to you.

Joy xx

• Chorsell
    Chorsell Member Posts: 464
    edited March 2015

Well so much has happened in the last couple of days....  Firstly thank you to the lovely ladies who have posted comments......

Being an internet junkie i am amazed at the amount of information available on the net....  not sure if that is a good thing or bad thing... :-)

However I feel so much more informed now than i did before..  Having got a copy of my pathology report has helped too and i have read it so many times i think i have almost memorised...

I at least now think i understand exactly what i am dealing with.

Add to that two close family members dealing with BC in the past  (one being my mum) I think has influenced the path i am leaning towards.

I dont want to have to go through this again any time soon so I am leaning towards double mastectomy and reconstruction.  I am 51 and work full time I have 3 kids and 3 grand kids and a wonderful husband who will support whatever decision i make and help me through recovery.

Would love to hear from anyone who has been down this path

Chris