First Blog

NarelleD
NarelleD Member Posts: 57
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

I have just received my diagnosis of Cancer.  My biopsy shows that it is currently only in the breast and not in the lymph nodes as yet.  However having lost a close friend last year to another form of Cancer who has children similar ages to my step-son and daughter and another friend's dad has just been informed that he doesn't have long to live either with his Cancer (another form again) I am really stressing out. 

I already suffer from depression so feel that that may be kicking in.

I would really love to meet some breast cancer patients & survivors who have had young children during there treatments.  My children are aged 9, 6, and 6 months.

Tagged:

Comments

• Mia1965
    Mia1965 Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2015

Hi Narelle,

I just read your first blog :) I mysef only joined this forum a couple of days ago.

You are a very brave lady and i commend you for taking the first steps with your breast cancer journey, because it is a very emotional time for anyone diagnosed with breast cancer. Cancer is not just a physical state to go through, it is also a state of mind!!! I hope your existing depression does not hamper your treatment too much? I seen a psychiatrist during my treatment and had never been to one before in my life otherwise. It helped get out the 'DEMONS' of not just cancer, but everything else crowding my life!!! Having such young children must be a very big challenge for you and I only hope you have an efficient support network within your family and friends. You are going to need it honey!!! My children were aged 20, 17 and 13, but luckily I have a wonderful and supportive husband who took charge and allowed me to just get through everything that was happening to me without worrying about them. He still held down his job by the way which made me feel so guilty but I had to get through the trauma and get better regardless of what life was throwing at us!!!

I am now in my third year after diagnosis and still find my survival a challenge at times let alone what I went through for seven months during 2011. Stay strong and keep the faith within yourself ok?

I wish you all the best with your treatment and welcome to BCNA. Take Care Always XXXMia.

• jenpen
    jenpen Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2015

Hi Narelle

Sorry you are joining the group nobody chooses to join! But you will find so much support & help from those who totally understand what you are going through!

I was diagnosed last Sept....had mastectomy in Oct & finished chemo mid Jan, now on Tamoxifen. I have 2 gorgeous kids....aged 9 & 10 when diagnosed. You will find they are a great distraction for you going through this tough gig...and at times you will feel over whelmed too....but you will manage to get through it!

The treatments are just fab nowadays & very high survival rates...so really, you just need to breathe, take one day at a time & make sure to use this forum anytime you want.....it really was my lifesaver & still is!

Sending you cyber hugs...Jen xx

• Mia1965
    Mia1965 Member Posts: 83
    edited March 2015

Hi Jen,

I just read your response and seen your blog whilst chatting with Narelle.

OMG!!!

I feel so badly for you huny :(  I lost my Mum a year ago this last January and although I was officially over my treatments at the time as I had finished mine in 2011,  it was still totally devastating to go through!!! Whilst I was going through my treatment my Mum was very ill in an aged care facility and had lost the ability to comprehend my drams with BC which was extremely hard for me!!! When I could visit her she would always ask what was on my head and why I was wearing a face mask? I showed her a little of what was going on under it and she would then either remember or freak out to what was going on with me? So over and over I had to relive it with her. 

She would often be very short with me due to her mental state, and would more often than not, forget that I even had BC. Still It helped having her presence whilst going through the treatment, so I can't imagine not having your Mum  there to support you. The dramas of your BC huny, I can only say I wish it had been better for you!!!

I honestly thought I had it bad with infections, blood clots and forced hospital admissions, but you my dear take the cake as it were!!! I wish you all the best with your BC journey and hope you can see that the light at the end of your tunnel is not a train but your new beginning free of cancer and beyond.

Take care always and remember to smile even when you feel you can't!!! XXX Mia.

• gypsy
    gypsy Member Posts: 68
    edited March 2015
    Welcome to this group, I was diagnosed a few months ago and these ladies have been fantastic. My one piece of advise at this stage is don't get caught up with looking too far forward, just take each step as it comes. Much easier to cope that way. Happy to answer any questions or just be a support for you. Wendy xxx