new

Options
Kate38
Kate38 Member Posts: 16
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hi, I am a 38 yr old single mum and have just been diagnosed with triple negative breast cancer.

Two 3.5 mm grade 3 tumors in left breast (one might be metaplastic but pathology is not conclusive on that) and at least 2 lymph nodes are highly malignant. Am feeling somewhat devastated :(

Drs are recommending neoadjuvant chemotherapy. So sometime in next week I will be starting four cycles of AC at two week intervals followed by weekly Paclitaxel for 12 weeks.

I am a bit scared, but mostly concerned that I have no way of knowing if this treatment is best option. Grateful for any thoughts.

Comments

• Yoga nut
    Yoga nut Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome Kate to the little TNBC club ....a club we would all prefer not to have joined but here we all are :) I am sure you will find support, understanding and a place to unburden here ...even at 2 o'clock in the morning !
    I think neoadjuvant chemo is commonly used in TNBC especially where there are more than one tumour or tumours of a certain size . Oncologists take many factors into account when deciding the best course of action ... There are ladies here who have have neoadjuvant treatment who will be able to reassure you I'm sure . One good thing with neoadjuvant
    treatment is they can assess the response of the tumour to the chemo and adjust if needed . If you're not sure you could have another chat with your oncologist ; things happen so quickly and it can be quite overwhelming but I'm sure they will be able to outline the reasons behind your treatment plan ....and if you're not comfortable you could try a second opinion for peace of mind .
    In any event , all the very best this week as you start your fight with the unwelcome intruder ; I'm sure you will discover you are surrounded by more love and support than you could ever have imagined . Thinking of you x Karen
  • Yoga nut
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Welcome Kate to the little TNBC club ....a club we would all prefer not to have joined but here we all are :) I am sure you will find support, understanding and a place to unburden here ...even at 2 o'clock in the morning !
    I think neoadjuvant chemo is commonly used in TNBC especially where there are more than one tumour or tumours of a certain size . Oncologists take many factors into account when deciding the best course of action ... There are ladies here who have have neoadjuvant treatment who will be able to reassure you I'm sure . One good thing with neoadjuvant
    treatment is they can assess the response of the tumour to the chemo and adjust if needed . If you're not sure you could have another chat with your oncologist ; things happen so quickly and it can be quite overwhelming but I'm sure they will be able to outline the reasons behind your treatment plan ....and if you're not comfortable you could try a second opinion for peace of mind .
    In any event , all the very best this week as you start your fight with the unwelcome intruder ; I'm sure you will discover you are surrounded by more love and support than you could ever have imagined . Thinking of you x Karen
  • Yoga nut
    edited March 2015
    Options
  • Kate38
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Karen

Thank you so much for your really kind and thoughtful message. It is really comforting to know that I am not alone in experiencing this. I really liked my oncologist, but hadn't known anyone to have chemo first before.  Sue's message below is also very reassuring.

Cheers Kate x

• Yoga nut
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Kate ,
    I think really liking your oncologist is a wonderful place to start ! Hope this week goes smoothly for you :) x Karen
  • Kate38
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Sue

That is really good to hear and makes a lot of sense. I am very much hoping this chemo will be successful too. Have also been told that a mastectomy will still be necessary, but am worried I will find that harder yo go through with if cancer is gone...stupid I know :(
    Kate x
  • Kate38
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Sue

That is really good to hear and makes a lot of sense. I am very much hoping this chemo will be successful too. Have also been told that a mastectomy will still be necessary, but am worried I will find that harder yo go through with if cancer is gone...stupid I know :(
    Kate x
  • Kate38
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Sue

Kate x
  • Kate38
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Apologies for multiple reply. my smart phone is possessed and appears to like posting things multiple times!
  • NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kate, your head will be spinning from all the information you are about to learn.  I found it of great value to research all of my questions via the "My Journey Kit" available, see bottom of this page, and the helpful staff at the Cancer Council, and as soon as I was in hospital, my wonderful Breast Care Nurse.  Here, the emotional support, and thousands of people who have been through similar experiences.  Fear is rreduced with asking questions and getting answers.  I had full faith in my medical team here in Launceston, and I am now 8 months after all of my treatment has finished.  I shook my Doctors hand and said thank you, you got it right!  However, I was able to get a second opinion too, that confirmed my doctor was doing the right thing.  I didnt understand it all until it was over, I guess I was too shocked for 6 months to grasp it was happening to me.  I had never had health issues, and it does come out of no-where, when we discover cancer.  I wish you best of luck.  I hope you do what I did, and reach out to you Cancer Council, join groups, and meet lots of new friends, when the time is right, because they all understood!  XX Bel

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Kate, your head will be spinning from all the information you are about to learn.  I found it of great value to research all of my questions via the "My Journey Kit" available, see bottom of this page, and the helpful staff at the Cancer Council, and as soon as I was in hospital, my wonderful Breast Care Nurse.  Here, the emotional support, and thousands of people who have been through similar experiences.  Fear is rreduced with asking questions and getting answers.  I had full faith in my medical team here in Launceston, and I am now 8 months after all of my treatment has finished.  I shook my Doctors hand and said thank you, you got it right!  However, I was able to get a second opinion too, that confirmed my doctor was doing the right thing.  I didnt understand it all until it was over, I guess I was too shocked for 6 months to grasp it was happening to me.  I had never had health issues, and it does come out of no-where, when we discover cancer.  I wish you best of luck.  I hope you do what I did, and reach out to you Cancer Council, join groups, and meet lots of new friends, when the time is right, because they all understood!  XX Bel