Diagnosed

Options
Angie1966
Angie1966 Member Posts: 29
edited February 2014 in Newly diagnosed

Diagnosed with breast cancer on Wednesday 12th February 2014; 48 years old; that's way too young........

Comments

• margiemoo
    margiemoo Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi I was diagnosed on the 5/2/14 with early stage breast cancer. we both have our journeys ahead of us. 

• margiemoo
    margiemoo Member Posts: 263
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi I was diagnosed on the 5/2/14 with early stage breast cancer. we both have our journeys ahead of us. 

• WendyMac
    WendyMac Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Angie.  I have just turned 50 - on Feb 6 - and got my diagnosis on Feb 14. I was meant to go in for the biopsy on my birthday but put it off and I'm glad I did, or the diagnosis would have ruined my 50th birthday party!!
    And I certainly don't feel my age, and I'm certainly sad about losing one of my boobs!!
    However, I choose to look at the bright side; things could be worse.  So many children and young people with cancer.  Most cancers are treatable. I supported my ex after he became quadriplegic after a motorbike accident and saw somw people who could not even move their head.  I am glad I don't have acquired brain injury.  I think out of all the horrible things that a person can experience and this is not the worst.

By saying that I am not trying to invalidate your feelings at all. It's totally shit and I too am feeling scared.
    Hopefully you have a network of loving friends who will help you, and by the sound of it this forum is a great source of support and comfort.
    I'm certainly happy to chat - as another newbie - if you ever want to. 
    All the best. x

• WendyMac
    WendyMac Member Posts: 36
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Angie.  I have just turned 50 - on Feb 6 - and got my diagnosis on Feb 14. I was meant to go in for the biopsy on my birthday but put it off and I'm glad I did, or the diagnosis would have ruined my 50th birthday party!!
    And I certainly don't feel my age, and I'm certainly sad about losing one of my boobs!!
    However, I choose to look at the bright side; things could be worse.  So many children and young people with cancer.  Most cancers are treatable. I supported my ex after he became quadriplegic after a motorbike accident and saw somw people who could not even move their head.  I am glad I don't have acquired brain injury.  I think out of all the horrible things that a person can experience and this is not the worst.

By saying that I am not trying to invalidate your feelings at all. It's totally shit and I too am feeling scared.
    Hopefully you have a network of loving friends who will help you, and by the sound of it this forum is a great source of support and comfort.
    I'm certainly happy to chat - as another newbie - if you ever want to. 
    All the best. x

• Yoga nut
    Yoga nut Member Posts: 76
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Angie ,

We all understand ... I was diagnosed 13/11/13 , aged 49 and I was feeling healthier than I had for 10 years ; oh the irony !!

Hang in there ; once you get over the shock , things will unfold in their own way ...you will find yourself surrounded by more love than you can even begin to imagine and all you need do is remember to breathe and take one day at a time .

I had a double mastectomy on 18/11/13 and am just a little bit excited because it's my last chemo tomorrow . . Even though it's a shit deal , and you may well feel like you are standing on the edge of some abyss over the coming days and weeks , please know you are not alone.....you will find a strength you never knew you possessed and meet some truly wonderful people along the way ....it's just a shame it has to be under such circumstances .

Every best wish to you and ket us know how things going if you feel like it :) Karen
  • Yoga nut
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Angie ,

We all understand ... I was diagnosed 13/11/13 , aged 49 and I was feeling healthier than I had for 10 years ; oh the irony !!

Hang in there ; once you get over the shock , things will unfold in their own way ...you will find yourself surrounded by more love than you can even begin to imagine and all you need do is remember to breathe and take one day at a time .

I had a double mastectomy on 18/11/13 and am just a little bit excited because it's my last chemo tomorrow . . Even though it's a shit deal , and you may well feel like you are standing on the edge of some abyss over the coming days and weeks , please know you are not alone.....you will find a strength you never knew you possessed and meet some truly wonderful people along the way ....it's just a shame it has to be under such circumstances .

Every best wish to you and ket us know how things going if you feel like it :) Karen
  • Angie1966
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thank you for taking the time to reply Robyn.  The diagnosis is certainly a shock because I don't feel sick AT ALL and as a rule, I don't get sick, not even a cold.  But as you say, I just need to calm down until I know what my treatment plan will be.  I'm booked in for surgery on the 11th of March so just have to wait and see after that.  That's the worst part I think, the waiting and seeing.......

Angie

• Angie1966
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks girls for posting.  Geez Karen does that mean if I have to have chemo that it goes on for over a year!?  How the hell do you work?  I'm a single mum with a 19 year old son at home who's at uni.  That's probably the scariest thing for me; being on one income and not being able to work due to the chemo treatment.

And I was diagnosed last Wednesday which was my last day at my old job (and lost 40 sick days) to start a new job yesterday (with no accrued sick days).  I haven't told my new employers yet as I don't want them to freak and sack me!  Can't believe the horrendous timing of this insidious disease!

• Yoga nut
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Don't worry ...I've never heard of chemo over a year long ! My surgery was just last November and I started the chemo 4 weeks later just before Christmas so the whole thing has been very whirlwind .
    I have a 19 yr old son at uni too ( plus another two ages 21 and 15) .
    So sorry about your work situation adding to the stress . I hope things fall into place there for you . It is incredibly difficult in the beginning because you feel so well ....it's just totally surreal . I still forget sometimes even now then I see myself bald with no boobs and think " oh yeh , this really did happen " I'm not working at the moment bc my job as a Physio was way too physical and I felt I couldn't give my best to my patients while I'm having chemo . But remember not everyone needs chemo so you might be lucky there :)
    Thinking of you as all these things become clearer . All the best xxx Karen
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Angie
    BCNA has some good info on the financial side of bc. Sometimes you may have an income protection insurance as part of your super. There is always a way and you will find that many women will have faced this situation and may have some valuable advice for you.

The thing is to try not to worry until you have a little more certainty about what treatment you will need. Many women do manage to work through most of their treatment but it will depend on what you need and how your body reacts to it. Many women do not need chemo. This waiting time is the hardest as you just want to get things happening so you can get on with life! Deanne xxx
  • Federica
    Federica Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Angie, it is a shock especially if you feel fit and healthy and you never even thought it could happen to you . I've been diagnosed on the 4th of Feb and I am 41 yrs old and I have two little girls . It's a long journey ahead of us, but all the lovely ladies that commented before me have already been throught it and came out of it even stronger than before . I wish you all the best with your treatment and please keep in touch. Federica x
  • Federica
    Federica Member Posts: 69
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Angie, it is a shock especially if you feel fit and healthy and you never even thought it could happen to you . I've been diagnosed on the 4th of Feb and I am 41 yrs old and I have two little girls . It's a long journey ahead of us, but all the lovely ladies that commented before me have already been throught it and came out of it even stronger than before . I wish you all the best with your treatment and please keep in touch. Federica x