Just thinking

Options
dianne01
dianne01 Member Posts: 1
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Hi I'm new to this site and even though I'm 18 months post cancer, TNBC grade3 stage2 small lump <1cm 1/2 node+ 6 × 3 weekly chemo FCE100 31 rads over 6 weeks, came out the other side feeling great relief and life is again good, with the exception of the occaisional thought of this disease returning. I know the stats look promising, out of 100 people 75 will survive 5 years, so my onc said, however after reading about stat, they include all cancers and I was just thinking that only 15>20% have TNBC so how many of these 75 are triple negative. 

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options

Statistics are just that, a whole heap of percentages. There are many things that determine the likelihood of a recurrence, including Grade, size of tumor, spread to lymph nodes as well as type of cancer. Remember any 5 year statistics are at least 5 years old and improvements in treatment will have made a difference in this time. They also include people who may be quite a lot older and/or who have other health issues which may make a difference to survival rates. They include people who refuse conventional treatment and who have lifestyle issues that impact on their long term health.

Statistics are useful in a general way to reassure ourselves that the majority of people do not die of breast cancer. If you have completed the treatment that the experts recommended, have regular checks and look after your general health then you have every reason to feel confident that you will be one of the majority who survive and go onto lead long healthy lives. Once you get past the 5 year mark, people who had TNBC are actually less likely than those with hormone positive cancers, to have a recurrence. Even if you do have a recurrence, most are caught early because of regular checks, and are successfully treated once more. So just look after yourself and enjoy being healthy. Deanne xx