Just diagnosed

Options
Haley78
Haley78 Member Posts: 8
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
This is my first time on here and this is a place I never imagined to be . I am 35 years old with a 15 year old and 8 year old ,Three weeks ago I was in the shower and found a pea size lump in the 12 o'clock position just above the nipple a place I don't usually check,I called the doctors when I got out and they had a cancellation and told me to come straight down It was completely painless and very hard and round I was scheduled for an ultrasound that afternoon.There was a young girl just training doing the ultrasound and told me all looked ok,about twenty minutes after leaving I was called back by her senior to have another look at this stage I was concerned I asked him how it looked and he said it didn't look like breast cancer two days later my doctor called and said they had recommended a biopsy and I needed to see a surgeon so an hour trip one week later and I was booked in for surgery .I chose to have the whole lump removed and surgery went well with only a small amount of pain I heard nothing for seven days and had my appointment that afternoon assuming all would be fine ,as we walked in the surgeon shook my husbands hand and I knew straight away it was not going to be good news as he was talking I could see my path report on his desk with the words grade 3 carinoma underlined I couldn't believe it when he said the words and he couldn't believe it himself he said he didn't think that he would be giving me a diagnosis of breast cancer ,it hit us both very quickly when he started ordering scans and bloods to make sure it hadn't spead ,the thing we all fear is now in my body and I just want it gone my lump was a 6 mm invasive ductal carcinoma and it came out without clear margins .9mm at the edge of the lession,so more surgery is planned ,all my scans and bloods have came back clear and my mammogram shows no other lumps we have had some very sleepless nights ,but after booking in for my next surgery on the 30 th of December and speaking to a fabulous breast care nurse we are feeling confident we can beat this my surgeon is confident he can get clear margins and is taking two nodes to be sure it hasn't gone there and then we are hoping radiation and tamoxifen will be enough to have it gone forever.It is oestrogen and progesterone positive and her negative so we hope hormone therapy will be effective.Anyone else that has had something similar with positive results please let me know as this is all so new and my breast care nurse has said because this is so small and found early It should be nothing more than a big hiccup in my life what do you think given my results.
Tagged:

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Haley and welcome to the online network! the best place ever as far as I am concerned:)I was diagnosed with invasive ductal carcinoma,on the 2nd.September.Because mine was directly behind the nipple,I chose to have a mastectomy.A lumpectomy would have been difficult.The mastectomy was really easy,and luckily,after taking some lymph nodes,I was told it hadn't spread.I started 4 cycles of chemo on October 14th and I just finished last Monday:) I will be starting Tamoxifen on the 10th of January.Mine also was oestrogen and progesterone positive and HER2 neg.I was absolutely scared witless in the beginning,and if it hadn't been for the ladies on here,I wouldn't have managed so well.Breast cancer is very treatable these days,and you will see that if you read a lot of the blogs on here.All the best for your further treatment,and remember to come on here(24/7)whenever you need support and advice.Sending you a big hug.xoxo Robyn
  • Haley78
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks robyn for the warm welcome its great to have others around that are going through the same thing,it is very hard to get your head around that you now have cancer i guess the scary thing is that we have all grown up being so scared of it and now it is in our bodies i just want it all gone at this point and cant wait for my next surgery ,will keep updating as i get more news hopefully it will be good! Haley

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome, you have come to the right place, I had a couple of invasive ductal carcinomas 15mm and 8mm, grade 2,  both in the same quandrant of one breast. Had a lumpectomy on the 15/10, both were removed with clear margins, only lost one node with was also clear. I have an extremely strong family history, so i am nearly halfway through chemo, then radiation, then hormone treatment. You are right to be confident, sounds like you found yours early. It really is a rollercoaster ride, lots of waiting involved. Good luck with your surgery and your treatment, log on here if you need to, it's a very emotional time. Take care, stay positive, one day at a time,

Hazel xx

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options

It is scarey finding out you have breast cancer, but you have done so well to find it early. As Robyn says you will find many positive stories on here, and it is a wonderful place to get support from those who have faced a similar diagnosis. Hope that everything goes smoothly with your op and that soon you will be another person with a positive story to tell on here. Take care. Deanne xxx

• Haley78
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thank you so much for the advice and well wishes I can see that this will become a place I can come too when I need a little reassurance .
  • adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi and welcome to our great group of ladies , my story very similar to yours and it's now 17months later and I'm doing well, it's do able and we get there, with love encouragement and support from everyone online. It's like an extended family who know exactly what your going through and listen without being judgemental, this sight was my saviour at 2am in the morning when unable to sleep.  Your emotions will be all over the place and crying and being angry and being positive are all ok, crying in the toilet was my hiding time, as I didn't want to upset my girls. But you do get there Hope your Xmas is filled with love and happiness. Regards adeano

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Sorry to hear about your bc diagnosis -it's really not fair to have to deal with this crap journey at 35 yrs of age. I was 47 yrs old and had a similar story to you.I found my lump in the shower.A mammogram and then fine needle biopsy showed cancer.I was in a state of shock and couldn't stop shaking and crying all weekend after that news.I had a lumpectomy and ALL my lymph nodes removed,then radiation.My pathology was the same as yours.Breast cancer is really many diseases of the breast and if you have to get bc then our pathology is probably the better one to have.Early breast cancer is very treatable.I've had it twice-first time was 10 years ago.Unfortunately cancer came back in the same breast,same spot 7 years later(3 years ago) and I had a mastectomy and chemo.I was supposed to take Tamoxifen after the first bout of bc and I did for awhile,but didn't follow through.This could be why it came back but I'll never know.I sure as hell take it now! The waiting and the unknown are the hardest parts but once you have a treatment plan then you can get your head around it all and move forward.I am fine now and you will be too.You have many pink sisters here  to hold your hand so blog back any time for support,info or to vent your feelings.We've all done that! Sending hugs, Tonya xx

• Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I hope you've been able to breath and relax a little through Christmas. I was diagnosed this time last year so I have gone past my one year out. I also caught my two lumps very early and after, lumpectomy, chemo, double mastectomy and immediate reconstruction surgery, I can now say I'm cancer free! It sure is a roller coaster ride Haley but I wanted to reassure you that it's very doable. I have a nice quote I'd like to share with you....

YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE" Bob Marley.

Like all of our lovely Pink Sisters here have said, welcome to this wonderful network. It really is a life line. You can come on and rant and vent your feelings or just put down your thoughts and we all understand perfectly.

Take deep breaths and try and take things 'one day at a time'. I think this is THE mantra for all of us.

Lots of love to you Haley

Janey xxx
  • Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    At least you won't have to wait until after the new year Haley which is great. My fingers are crossed for you and I'll be thinking of you on Monday.

Janey xxx
  • Haley78
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Just recieved a call from my surgeon ,path results are back from my second surgery ,borders are clear and so are my lymph nodes ,so relieved surgeon said radiation and hormone treatment should be enough to beat this so thankful I found this while it was so small now to meet with the oncologist and get a treatment plan.feeling very grateful right now!
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Clear margins,clear nodes-great news! No chemo-even better news! Radiation is nowhere near as hard as chemo so you'll blitz it. Tamoxifen (if that's what you are to have)is ok after awhile-just start really slowly as I think that helps.Hope you are resting and recovering well. Tonya xx

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Great news, the rest you will cope with, it's surprising how resilient and strong we become. Regards adean
  • Janey235
    edited March 2015
    Options
    What a huge relief for you. So fantastic to receive some good news and no chemo. Woohoo! You are nearly at the end.
    Janey xxx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I'm so happy to hear this Haley. All clear just radiation to get through now! Take care. Deanne xxx
  • Haley78
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was so scared to start on the tamoxifen but its been 4 days now and I'm feeling fine just a bit nauseous .
    Will wait and see what happens in time but so far so good,makes it easier knowing you have no option but to get used to it ! I have now had my case put before 4 oncologists and all have recommended no chemo so I feel comfortable with that decision ,now I just have to get through 6 weeks of radiation.I think the hardest part will be being away from my husband and children' the nearest treatment centre is 3 hrs away so will have to be away Monday to Friday, I will miss them so much.
    My radiation planning session is all done and I am due to start on the 4 th of march wish me luck !