out loud

Options
melissamorticia
melissamorticia Member Posts: 61
Ive been reading everyones blogs and laughed and cried over everyones experiences with BC , chemo, radiation, baldness, nausea etc. As I am moments away from that reality I am pleased there is so many other women to share it with and get advice and support from. :)
Tagged:

Comments

• melissamorticia
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Thanks Hazel, we are our own worst enemies at times
    over thinking our choices even though we know we have made the right ones at this time. The 3 week wait for the surgery is the biggest issue. too much time to think about it.
    Merry Xmas
  • mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dont know your whole diagnosis etc; but im pleased with the decision to have lumpdectomy-and really mascetomy wasnt offered or discussed.  The fear issue with diagnosis will probably get better with time and i accept when it does come up again as part of the process.  I dont see my breasts as 'ticking time bombs' which would make me want to have drastic surgery but rather feel quite protective of them --ive always liked my body and now im pleased that minimal intervention is meaning, for me, that within 6 months im now just on medication and ive worked, and mainly functioned almost as usual through out this time.  Be wary of messages about 'best treatment' being mascetomies and chemotherapy or how important it is to do 'everything'--of course this might be true for some; but no blanket approach for all breast cancers! 

• mona63
    mona63 Member Posts: 237
    edited March 2015
    Options

Dont know your whole diagnosis etc; but im pleased with the decision to have lumpdectomy-and really mascetomy wasnt offered or discussed.  The fear issue with diagnosis will probably get better with time and i accept when it does come up again as part of the process.  I dont see my breasts as 'ticking time bombs' which would make me want to have drastic surgery but rather feel quite protective of them --ive always liked my body and now im pleased that minimal intervention is meaning, for me, that within 6 months im now just on medication and ive worked, and mainly functioned almost as usual through out this time.  Be wary of messages about 'best treatment' being mascetomies and chemotherapy or how important it is to do 'everything'--of course this might be true for some; but no blanket approach for all breast cancers! 

• melissamorticia
    edited March 2015
    Options
    True at least the decision has been entirely mine.
    It has given me some control over it.:)
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're right about so many women to share our ups and downs. I don't know what I would have been like if I hadn't joined this network. I was diagnosed 20th December last year so I'm nearly 1 year out now. But I didn't start posting until May this year. I wish I had started at the beginning of my journey. I think I could have been spared some very lonely times. Now all our beautiful Pink Sisters rally to our sides and it's just wonderful. They say a problem shared is a problem halved. I don't know about the physical aspects of BC but it certainly has proven true for the daily speed bumps we all go through along the way. As we who have walked in your shoes understand, we can hold your hand through the tough times to come. A great quote is "YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE" Bob Marley.

One day at a time :)

Love Janey xxx
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    You're right about so many women to share our ups and downs. I don't know what I would have been like if I hadn't joined this network. I was diagnosed 20th December last year so I'm nearly 1 year out now. But I didn't start posting until May this year. I wish I had started at the beginning of my journey. I think I could have been spared some very lonely times. Now all our beautiful Pink Sisters rally to our sides and it's just wonderful. They say a problem shared is a problem halved. I don't know about the physical aspects of BC but it certainly has proven true for the daily speed bumps we all go through along the way. As we who have walked in your shoes understand, we can hold your hand through the tough times to come. A great quote is "YOU NEVER KNOW HOW STRONG YOU ARE UNTIL BEING STRONG IS THE ONLY CHOICE YOU HAVE" Bob Marley.

One day at a time :)

Love Janey xxx
  • Erica
    Erica Member Posts: 21
    edited March 2015
    Options

Think you just hit the nail on the head Melissa. :) It's important to regain some control emotionally, having decissions made from our own selves  is a major part of that I believe. 

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Melissa -- I'm glad you found your way here, and just wanted to let you know about the My Journey Kit if you haven't already received one.   It contains information to help you with decision-making, but more importantly, has been developed with the input and reflections of many women who've been where you are now.

You can order it online and it will be sent to you free of charge: http://www.bcna.org.au/my-journey-kit.

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Melissa -- I'm glad you found your way here, and just wanted to let you know about the My Journey Kit if you haven't already received one.   It contains information to help you with decision-making, but more importantly, has been developed with the input and reflections of many women who've been where you are now.

You can order it online and it will be sent to you free of charge: http://www.bcna.org.au/my-journey-kit.

• melissamorticia
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Di, Yes! I have the my journey kit, i have read it cover to cover and found the diary helpful for my contacts and appointments.

• Di_BCNA
    edited March 2015
    Options

That's great to hear.  All the best for your treatment -- just take it one step at a time.