Options
gypsy
gypsy Member Posts: 68
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi Ladies,

My name is Wendy and I am just recently diagnosed with Invasive Ductal Carcinoma. So this is all very new to me. I seem to be handling the news well, which is surprising everyone around me. I am in preparation mode and like 'lets get on with what needs to be done'. Maybe I will fall into a heap later on.

I spoke with the Breast Surgeon Belinda Brown yesterday so know more what's in store for me medically, but know that this journey is going to take alot more than medical issues.

I am reaching out for support and friendship with ladies that have already walked this path.

thanks

Tagged:

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hello Wendy,and welcome to the most amazing online network,where you will find all the support and help that you need.I was diagnosed with Grade 2 Invasive ductal carcinoma on sep.2nd.I had a mastectomy on the 17th September.and I started chemo on October 14th.Like you,I was very "together" in the beginning,and for the most part,I have remained that way.I do have my down days though,when I can cry like I have never cried before!Then I just get on with it again!The one thing I would say at this stage ,is just take it one day at a time.Dont get too far ahead of yourself.This network is the best place to come ,24/7.
    All the best Wendy,and I look forward to following your journey. XoxoxRobyn
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed in May and have had a mastectomy, chemo and radiation. Like you I focused on what needed to be done and how I could best get myself through each stage of treatment. It is a marathon not a sprint though and you do need a support team to back you up.

Ask lots of questions of the medical part of your team, let friends and family help with practical issues and use this network to fill in the gaps. It can be a lonely time, especially if you need to have chemo. I have found this network a real lifeline as no one quite understands unless they have been there too.

So welcome and I hope we can help make your journey easier. Take care. Deanne xxx
  • sharki
    sharki Member Posts: 3
    edited March 2015
    Options

My bosom friend Sharl has just helped put me onto this sight so this is all very new to me. My name is Nessy and and during the HELL month of August I was firstly diognosed with diabetes the next week I was told I had breast cancer and the next week to the very day we found out that hubby has lung cancer that has spread to his liver !!!!. I havn't had a great deal of time to address my health issues as all my energy has gone into caring for my husband. I have had a hookwire excision and sentinel node biopsy . I accompany hubby to chemo each week and dread the day my treatment starts as we will be going to different places and will be seperated for lengthy periods as my treatment will involve travelling.I guess the trick really is just to take one day at a time.

• sharki
    edited March 2015
    Options

My bosom friend Sharl has just helped put me onto this sight so this is all very new to me. My name is Nessy and and during the HELL month of August I was firstly diognosed with diabetes the next week I was told I had breast cancer and the next week to the very day we found out that hubby has lung cancer that has spread to his liver !!!!. I havn't had a great deal of time to address my health issues as all my energy has gone into caring for my husband. I have had a hookwire excision and sentinel node biopsy . I accompany hubby to chemo each week and dread the day my treatment starts as we will be going to different places and will be seperated for lengthy periods as my treatment will involve travelling.I guess the trick really is just to take one day at a time.

• Jo.L.
    Jo.L. Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Wendy

Welcome to BCNA it is an amazing network with some fabulous gals. Most things you ask will be answered as we are all similiar but different. I see you saw Belinda, she was my surgeon as well. We have 2 face to face support  groups in Mornington Breast Intentions an evening group breast specific and MP womens cancer group and afternoon one at The Bays. Tonights meeting is at The Grand Hotel at 7pm though, we go twice a year! You are welcome to join us breast.intentions@**** is our email. I hope you get all the support you need , I found it extremely helpful! Take Care Joc

• Jo.L.
    Jo.L. Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Nessy

Is there any help with transport for you? What a bugger having both of you cancered up at once!!! Hope you have got 131120 the cancer council line in your diary they can also help with numerous things. Take Care Jo

• sharki
    edited March 2015
    Options

thank you soo much . yes it's a bit surreal...We do have transport covered but it would simplify things if I didn't have to have treatment

• mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

Welcome to our group, Belinda Brown was my surgeon and I have been very happy with her, so please feel free to contact me should you want any information or additonal support. Follow my link and send me a private message and I'll give you my phone number if you need it.

I am one year down the track and have come out the other side, I too had invassive ductal carcinoma, but have come through and I am smiling.

Good luck with everything.

cheers

Donna

• gypsy
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks so much Nina for your words of wisdom. I am positive and strong, but at the same time allow myself to be sad. I dont dwell in my sadness for too long as I am pragmatic and know that I have to get on with it. Goodluck with your book, I am sure our path will cross again:)

Wendy

• gypsy
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks for the warm welcome Deanne. I am waiting for my lumpectomy and sentinel node surgery at the moment. Just  got back the rest of my pathology report which like you states that I am ER and PR+ not sure what that all means, but I guess i will find out.

Once again thanks and take care

Wendy xxx

• gypsy
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Donna

Thanks for your response, it is all very daunting but I am coping quite well with what lies ahead. Belinda Brown appears to be a great dr, she isnt giving too much away until I have the lumpectomy and sentinel nodes done. Just one step at a time seems to be the way to go.

cheers

Wendy xxx

• gypsy
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jo

I will definitely come to your meetings as i dont know anyone who has been through breast cancer and it will give me a chance to meet ladies in person.

Belinda appears to be quite capable, she hasnt give me too much info at the moment until the lumpectomy and sentinel nodes have been done.  i just got back the pathology regarding my hormone receptors today, ER and PR+ and HER-2 Negative.not sure what that all means as yet.

Anyway thanks for the welcome.

Wendy xx

• gypsy
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Robyn

Thanks so much for your warm welcome. I am feeling quite confident at the moment and just not enjoying the waiting, but learning to be patient.

take care

Wendy

xxx

• gypsy
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Janey

Thanks so much for the message I am feeling very much supported on this site and I am glad that i have people I can turn to that understand. I personally dont know anyone who has had breast cancer so this is all new to me.

Once again thankyou

Wendy xxx

• gypsy
    edited March 2015
    Options

thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to meeting the ladies in person and having a laugh and sharing the support.

Wendy xx