1st time here

Tracy62
Tracy62 Member Posts: 48
edited November 2013 in Newly diagnosed

First experience with breast cancer - one of the few that don't run in our family! But not my first experience with cancer.

I had a brain tumour removed in 2002. That was at least benign - but it didn't mean it got forgotten about either. Got to the 10 year mark and MRI showed possible recurrence. Now looking like it was only residual matter or scar tissue. Next MRI, in March, should confirm this.

Had a rare, aggressive, invasive thyroid cancer, malignant, treated via multiple surgeries, radiation and etc. through 2009 and 2011. Then contiual follow ups every 3 months (alternating between surgeon and oncologoist). Got retired on the grounds of ill health - was a teacher - but my voice has been greatly affected and couldn't be heard. Have a paralysed right vocal cord and narrowed airway and difficulty swallowing as a result of all that has happened. October 2013 surgeon says, for first time, I think we may finally have got it and it won't be back.

November 2013 I have my first mammogram (oncologist had asked me skip them for a while - until he gave me clearance to get one done). And here I am with breast cancer, most likely caused from the radiation that finally cured my thyroid cancer - talk about irony! Surgery on Monday - left breast mastectomy and no reconstruction (advised against it due to all else that has occurred). 

People at Breast Screen were amazed how I took the news - felt like saying "Been there, done that, can't I just have the T-shirt and forget the rest!" When you have heard the word cancer so many times it kind of loses it impact - all I want to do is get on with it all. It is the waiting I hate the most.  

Should mention was with and supported Dad when told he had prostate cancer, uncle when told he had bowel cancer, another uncle with a form of blood cancer (not leukemia), initially told Mum may have had gall bladder cancer because she had ignored warning signs (they removed it just in time for her to be fine - dr was amazed he found no cancer) - and told on Christmas Eve 2009 that son may have bone cancer in his leg - heard on New Year's Eve that it was osteomylitis. Still needed 2 surgeries and 4 months recovery (first surgery occurred day before I began raditaion treatment).

Comments

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    After reading your story,I don't really know what to say,except welcome:)What a rough time your family has had.I had a mastectomy 9weeks ago,and just having chemo now.I chose not to have reconstruction,as my breast/breasts are not large.I am happy with my choice,as it is not even noticeable,and I just wanted to get on with it as soon as I could.All the best with your surgery,and please jump on here any time to let us all know how you are doing.I am sure many other ladies will be here soon to say hi.Cheers Robyn.xox
  • TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    edited March 2015

Sorry to hear about your bc diagnosis but a big welcome to this network. Life can be so unfair dishing out cancer overload to one person or an entire family.You've certainly had alot to deal with in recent years.  I can really identify with you,especially the T shirt idea.I feel like my family has been delt the cancer card too.I've had the decade from hell.I nursed my dad as he died from lung cancer in 2001 then I got breast cancer in 2003,shattered my ankle in 2007 requiring 3 operations in 18mths,got breast cancer back in the same breast in 2010,brotherinlaw diagnosed with aggressive brain cancer in 2011,am now looking after my mum who has terminal liver cancer.I gave up work 2 years ago. I wonder if we begin to desensitize to this chronic cancer crap.You are probably "braving up"to get yourself through next Monday's surgery.I know I did that and really surprised myself how well I took it on the chin.But a meltdown could  grab you down the track and often when you least expect it.I turned into a blubbering mess when I had to sign the chemo consent form -go figure!  Anyway,ask any questions about the surgery.We are here to support each other and share our experiences.There is comfort in knowing you are not alone and that many of us here are through the bc treatments and enjoying life again.

Sending hugs,Tonya xx

• Hazel M
    Hazel M Member Posts: 708
    edited March 2015

I'm another one who is speechless. You have been dealt a bad hand & i just wanted to say 'welcome'. Hope all goes well for your operation.

Hazel xx

• Tracy62
    Tracy62 Member Posts: 48
    edited March 2015

Thank you to everyone for making me feel so welcomed. When I went through the thyroid cancer felt quite alone - later found some groups on FB and have often been there. But to find one without having to go on FB, I like it as it feels more secure and direct. Thank you again to all of you.

Tracy xxx

• JeanineG
    JeanineG Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2015
    I hope you are over the worst when you read this. It's a big surgery to go through but you are clearly a champion and will come through it and show everyone else how it's done. Thinking of you and wishing you well.

Hugs,
    Jeanine xxx
  • JeanineG
    JeanineG Member Posts: 135
    edited March 2015
    I hope you are over the worst when you read this. It's a big surgery to go through but you are clearly a champion and will come through it and show everyone else how it's done. Thinking of you and wishing you well.

Hugs,
    Jeanine xxx