BCNA’s online network supports more than 10,000!

Maxine
Maxine Member Posts: 41
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

We have all reached a significant milestone. Since it started in 2010, our online network has grown to reach more than 10,000 members – all connecting, sharing experiences and supporting each other without the constraint of time or distance.

The connections and information sharing through the online network spans all stages of the breast cancer journey - from the shock and fear following a diagnosis, to sharing the news with loved ones and friends, the wait on test results, dealing with the side effects and emotional impact of treatment, to reconstruction and ongoing issues, like returning to work, fear of the cancer returning and the difficulties associated with living with secondary breast cancer.

Thank you so much to those who make new members feel so welcomed, who share their own experiences and offer advice to comfort and inform others. We also know many of our online network members don’t feel the need to actively contribute, finding solace in simply reading others’ stories and knowing that they are not alone.

We mark our 10,000 milestone with mixed feelings - wishing that you hadn’t found yourself here and needing support, but glad that you have found your way to benefit from the support and love of so many generous members who share their experiences through our online network.

~ Maxine

Comments

• ShirlO
    ShirlO Member Posts: 350
    edited March 2015

I did my Community Liaison training in August 2010 and I recall Di and Amanda and the rest of the girls talking about organising an online network "support crew", mainly to "meet and greet" the ladies who came on line who were confused, scared and looking for someone to talk to.

Several of us signed up to become involved and we all got great satisfaction of being able to offer comfort, friendship, advice, reassurance and "idle chatter" - something I believe I'm able to do without too much bother. ... I guess you could call us online pioneers !!!

I have met so many brave young women on here (I'm 65, so you are all young) and hope that I have been able help you in some way.  With one thing and another I haven't been "commenting" as much as I would like, but I have been keeping an eye on you all.  I wouldn't call it stalking exactly, more like the ghostly apparition that haunts old houses  :)

With a bit of luck 2014 will be a better year.  I know it's early yet but I wish you all a very Merry Christmas and a healthy, happy New Year.

Luv Shirl x0x0x

• NaturalBel
    NaturalBel Member Posts: 542
    edited March 2015

I have just attended my first BCNA Meeting here in Launceston last week end.  I hope to be able to give back in some way, to pay it forward, after the support I received from BCNA on-line, and via the My Journey Kit.  The informative role, and emotional support I found here, made a massive difference to my fear and my isolation at the time.  I had moved 6 months before I had B C and reached out to my resources available straight away.  I wasnt afraid to ask for help, or to talk about my experience.  I have always enjoyed education and communication, so this realm has been ideal for me.  Thank you, again.

Belinda McKenna of Launceston (facilitator)

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015

I am so proud and so chuffed BCNA online network has reached this amazing milestone.  I am proud to be an online Champion, a Community Liaison Officer for BCNA and a facilitator of a Perth Womens group.

I can honestly say I wouldn't have made it this far and stayed as strong as I am without BCNA; BCNA online network; BCNA amazing and incredible staff and especially all my incredible BCNA pink sisters.

I have been apart of BCNA for what should be coming up to two years as my journey continues.  I remember being asked by the beautiful Daina to become an online champion and I was so honoured.  I didn't really need to do any more than what I was already doing as I was already very eagerly welcoming Newbies as I call them to the website because I remember how touched and I remember crying when I got my first reply to my very first post.  I was reaching out desperately for some much needed love and support from people who understood where I was coming from.  You are never judged.  You can speak out about anything that is on your mind that you need to share. We all come together and protect each other. 

I was also like Bella, where I felt very isolated from family and friends in a small community which I had not become a part of at the time of my BC diagnosis and I still to this day have not had an opportunity to become a part of.

I have continued over time to offer a warm welcome where I can to Newbies but also to gladly support my pink sisters through their ongoing journey as they all continue to do so for me as my journey continues.

I am so proud and so honoured to be part of such an amazing organisation and I am so glad I found you.

Thank you BCNA.

Lots of love today, tomorrow and always, Mich xoxoxoxo

• Mich x
    edited March 2015

I am so proud and so chuffed BCNA online network has reached this amazing milestone.  I am proud to be an online Champion, a Community Liaison Officer for BCNA and a facilitator of a Perth Womens group.

I can honestly say I wouldn't have made it this far and stayed as strong as I am without BCNA; BCNA online network; BCNA amazing and incredible staff and especially all my incredible BCNA pink sisters.

I have been apart of BCNA for what should be coming up to two years as my journey continues.  I remember being asked by the beautiful Daina to become an online champion and I was so honoured.  I didn't really need to do any more than what I was already doing as I was already very eagerly welcoming Newbies as I call them to the website because I remember how touched and I remember crying when I got my first reply to my very first post.  I was reaching out desperately for some much needed love and support from people who understood where I was coming from.  You are never judged.  You can speak out about anything that is on your mind that you need to share. We all come together and protect each other. 

I was also like Bella, where I felt very isolated from family and friends in a small community which I had not become a part of at the time of my BC diagnosis and I still to this day have not had an opportunity to become a part of.

I have continued over time to offer a warm welcome where I can to Newbies but also to gladly support my pink sisters through their ongoing journey as they all continue to do so for me as my journey continues.

I am so proud and so honoured to be part of such an amazing organisation and I am so glad I found you.

Thank you BCNA.

Lots of love today, tomorrow and always, Mich xoxoxoxo

• Maxine
    Maxine Member Posts: 41
    edited March 2015

It is women like you that make the online network so effective.

Thank you Mich xx

• Mich x
    edited March 2015

Thank you Maxine.  It is definitely my pleasure :-)

Mich xoxoxoxo

• Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    I am only 8 weeks into my BC experience,but I just wanted to say that people like Mich and Bel (and of course there are many others)have made it a lot easier for me.The minute you join this online network,the fear of the unknown,and the isolation at many levels that you feel,almost disappears,and at the very least it becomes manageable!So thankyou to everyone that has helped me,and as I travel along this unknown path,I find myself reaching out to others in need,as has been done for me.One day,like you Bel and Mich,I hope I can pay it back in some way! Best wishes and hugs to everyone.xoxoRobyn
  • Robyn W
    Robyn W Member Posts: 1,932
    edited March 2015
    I am only 8 weeks into my BC experience,but I just wanted to say that people like Mich and Bel (and of course there are many others)have made it a lot easier for me.The minute you join this online network,the fear of the unknown,and the isolation at many levels that you feel,almost disappears,and at the very least it becomes manageable!So thankyou to everyone that has helped me,and as I travel along this unknown path,I find myself reaching out to others in need,as has been done for me.One day,like you Bel and Mich,I hope I can pay it back in some way! Best wishes and hugs to everyone.xoxoRobyn
  • Mich x
    edited March 2015

Thank you for your kind words.  It is my pleasure to be there for you and for others.

You will be able to pay back hun I am sure but for now it is all about you, nurturing yourself and looking after number one. Take it day by day, hour by hour and you will get there and see that light at the end of the tunnel.  It may not seem like it but it is there waiting for you.

Wishing you all the best every day, Mich xo

• adean
    adean Member Posts: 1,036
    edited March 2015
    Bcna has been part of my life for 18months, it was my saviour the first night I joined and my sanity late at night. Complete non judgemental people willing to listen. No one seems to understand the connection you feel with complete strangers unless your in the bc gang,I've had the oppurtunity to travel to the bcna summit and met some online buddies and it was the best medicine I ever received. I have been lucky enough to take on a support group and made new friends to laugh and cry with. I thank every person who replied to a blog I wrote and thanks to bcna itself for giving me a second family. Love to you all adean
  • dmed
    dmed Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015
    This was a journey I didn't want to be on but being able to have access to the online network has helped me so much along my way. To have so much information that has helped so much only a click away. Friends I've made and knowing that I'm not alone. I think one of the moments that stands out was being at the conference in Launceston Tas last year and meeting Maxine and Daina and feeling like I had known them for a long time. These sorts of friendships mean so much as you know you have a lot in common with these women . Hope I can give back something myself . Looking to join the BCNA here in Tassie . All the best ladies and thanks to all Deb xxxx
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Joining BCNA earlier this year would have to be the best thing I have done. In doing so, I've gained relief, peace, gratitude, love, confidence, empathy, understanding and, above all, knowledge. To be able to communicate with other women experiencing breast cancer not only showed me that I wasn't alone but gave me strength of mind to overcome the obstacles set before me. I am so very pleased to be able to return all the love shown by so many beautiful women and encourage others the way I have been encouraged and supported on this network. It is truly wonderful being a part of the Pink Sisterhood. To borrow from a wonderful song, "You Are The Wind Beneath My Wings".

As I near this year's Christmas, I look back on my journey and I can't believe it's almost a year since that terrible day (5 days before last Christmas) of my diagnosis.

I would like to thank each and every Pink Sister that has held my hand this past year. You are all my heroes.

One Day That A Time

Love Janey xxx