So sad

Options
annie2
annie2 Member Posts: 164
edited November 2016 in Community news and events
I just want to say I love this network and what it gives to each one of us.To share stories, sympathise and have compassion and understanding of what we are all going through.

I must say though.. I'm struggling with how many people are diagnosed with breast cancer. Everyday someone new is on here. Is it me or does it seem a lot of younger women are being diagnosed?

It breaks my heart to know all these women face a huge battle both physically and mentally to overcome.

Thank god we all have each other. A bond only another cancer patient can understand and empathise with. I just wish that no one had to go through all this pain and torture. I'm 3 years clear but still facing huge physical and mental issues due to this crappy disease.

Just want to say a big CHEERS to all, Take care x

Comments

• Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree this network is a wonderful place to be able to say all the things that people without breast cancer just do not understand. We can support and respond to each other with empathy because we all face similar situations.

There does seem to be a lot of younger women on this site. Obviously not everyone with breast cancer uses the network though, so maybe we get an unbalanced picture of the proportion of younger and older ladies being diagnosed. I am not sure if the proportion of younger women being diagnosed is rising or whether it is just the overall rate of women being diagnosed is growing every year.

Whatever the case I agree that no woman should have to go through this and I wish they could find out more about this disease to prevent so many of us getting it in the first place.

The risk factors are not making sense to me. The age risk does not explain why young women get it and I for one had none of the other risk factors except that I was a woman and getting older (47). I exercised regularly, was a healthy weight, had my children before I was 30. I breast fed them for over 12 months each, did not smoke, was not on the pill for long periods and did not drink anymore than many and had actually not had alcohol for several months prior to diagnosis because I wanted to be healthier!

I have read so many other people's stories who say much the same thing. The one thing I have found is that many women diagnosed have been through a stressful event within the 12 months prior to diagnosis. Yet the experts say that stress does not cause cancer!

We just have to deal with what we are facing but with 2 young daughters I really hope they find some answers to prevent more young women facing the same fate.

Take care. Deanne xx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I agree this network is a wonderful place to be able to say all the things that people without breast cancer just do not understand. We can support and respond to each other with empathy because we all face similar situations.

There does seem to be a lot of younger women on this site. Obviously not everyone with breast cancer uses the network though, so maybe we get an unbalanced picture of the proportion of younger and older ladies being diagnosed. I am not sure if the proportion of younger women being diagnosed is rising or whether it is just the overall rate of women being diagnosed is growing every year.

Whatever the case I agree that no woman should have to go through this and I wish they could find out more about this disease to prevent so many of us getting it in the first place.

The risk factors are not making sense to me. The age risk does not explain why young women get it and I for one had none of the other risk factors except that I was a woman and getting older (47). I exercised regularly, was a healthy weight, had my children before I was 30. I breast fed them for over 12 months each, did not smoke, was not on the pill for long periods and did not drink anymore than many and had actually not had alcohol for several months prior to diagnosis because I wanted to be healthier!

I have read so many other people's stories who say much the same thing. The one thing I have found is that many women diagnosed have been through a stressful event within the 12 months prior to diagnosis. Yet the experts say that stress does not cause cancer!

We just have to deal with what we are facing but with 2 young daughters I really hope they find some answers to prevent more young women facing the same fate.

Take care. Deanne xx
  • Nicca Grant
    Nicca Grant Member Posts: 31
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Annie, Deanne and Carolyn

It's always a pleasure logging onto the Online Network and seeing women supporting one another the way you do.  I also find it distressing at times to see how many new women sign up and post a blog entry each day.  At the same time, I am always pleased to see that so many women respond quickly to support them.

It may interest you to know that the numbers of younger women with breast cancer has actually stayed very stable since 1982. Other age groups have seen an increase in numbers, most likely due to the introduction of BreastScreen in the 90s.  But breast cancer remains uncommon in young women with no increase for this age group over time.. About 5% of women diagnosed with breast cancer are under 40.

It's hard to know for certain why it can seem like the amount of younger women diagnosed is on the increase.  Perhaps younger women are more likely to use online methods of communication and support because they are less likely to meet others in their age group in 'real life'.  The average age of a BCNA Online Network member is actually quite a bit younger than the average age of women diagnosed with breast cancer.  So perhaps we are more likely to see stories from younger women online?

Nic