sleepless nights

Options
maryj
maryj Member Posts: 4
edited December 2010 in General discussion

Oh God, not again! Another sleepless night...i'm tired enough to sleep, but there is no sleep at the moment. I go to bed and start to nod off. Just on the edge of sleep my brain wakes me up. I try to ignore it, relax and drift away. ZING...there goes my brain again. Then my body becomes uncomfortable and I feel pressure points, I move to another position but it is no better. I kick of the covers and half sit up. No point in half sitting up, so instead I get up, get dressed and here I am. I might as well write what's been happening maybe it will help. Hot cup of tea and some bickies. Hot tea to soothe and bickies for carbohydrate, which can help with sleep. It is either that or take a swig of the Bailey's that has been in the fridge for two months. I choose tea...this time.

I have an surgery appointment next Monday. The surgeon has decided this lump has to be removed and we go from the diagnosis afterward. The waiting is getting to me. Everything has gone into limbo...

My new doctor was obstinate in his urgency to get me in to a surgeon. The appointment was made for the following day. My honey and I went together, and as we waited in the waiting room, I asked him to would he come in with me. he held my hand and said, "Yes, I'm coming". As we waited we looked at another car magazine...and consumed our conversation with the ridiculousness of the prices of certain cars with a "desirable" badge. Wwe waited for about 15 minutes and I couldn't help but wonder if the lady and gent who had gone in before us would come out teary. I sub-consciously hoped not. I didn't think I would hold it together if they did. They emerged from the Surgeon's office and I didn't hear any sniffles which to me would have been evidence of bad news. I think that gave me some sort of courage. "Jennifer", there's my name, it's my turn. After a brief meet and greet, I had my shirt off and the doctor was examining my breast. It was quick and I could get dressed. He sat on the other side of the enormous desk and began to talk to my love as if I weren't in the room, explaining to him why he thought the best way to proceed was to fully remove the lump...as if I would want it any other way! Not likely! He turned to address me. as he spoke ( I saw his lips move) I heard the word, cancer and something else, blah blah blah...more surgery...blah blah blah. "Of course" came my dignified exclaim. "it's like a bad tooth...just take it out..." I described. I think he ignored that, I'm not sure.

We left and went to medicare and then on to the hospital to book in. Thank God there was coffee just inside the front of the foyer. We sat with a coffee as I proceeded to recall all I could for the form that went on for four pages.

When we left for the 20 minute drive home, again our conversation was one that wanted to be positive. But in reality, we both had a tiny nervous temble in our voices.

That was last Tuesday. Today is Tuesday 30th Nov. In just one week the whole world seemed to split at the seams. 'Normal' has shifted position. My compass has a bent arrow...and there have been troubles afoot.

Comments

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015
    Options

hi there, Mary (Jennifer), sorry to read your story, but at least you have made your way onto our site, first of all have you ordered your "my journey kit" from here, this kit has so much information, in a language we can understand, it is so useful, and its free, so make sure you order it, i know how you are feeling, and i feel it for you, the waiting game is the worse part of this horrible journey, but once you manage to get the ball rolling, and a plan of attack is made, it all comes together, but meanwhile as you say, sleepless nights when the brain kicks in, (I wonder if the 2month old baileys would have tasted better than the tea). Anyway we have a lot of people of here some like you who have just started their journey, to ones who have been clear for years, so lots of great support,, if you want to come on to chat, shout, laugh or cry, there is always someone here who knows exactle what you are going through, so feel free to add me to your contacts, and please remember on here, NO QUESTIONS or Comments are stupid. Regards Moira

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi maryj and welcome to the network, it's nice to see you found your way here. Take a look at the Help page if you want to find out a bit more about how the network works, or else shout if you need a hand. :)

• Di_BCNA
    Di_BCNA Member Posts: 896
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi maryj and welcome to the network, it's nice to see you found your way here. Take a look at the Help page if you want to find out a bit more about how the network works, or else shout if you need a hand. :)

• louiseg
    louiseg Member Posts: 412
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Jennifer

It is really daunting when you first find out that you have cancer.  Take it day by day and hopefully you will soon see a light at the end of the tunnel.

So many of us have been through what you are now going through (and some of us are still going through it - second time round for me!!), so if you ever need to vent or want someone to talk to, there are plenty of willing ears on this site.

I have found the wealth of knowledge here wonderful and it is almost like having a whole new group of friends that you can talk to about what you are going through (at any time of the day or night!!).

Good luck with your journey

Louise :)

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015
    Options

Yes,Ican vividly remember that "sick to the pit of your stomach"feeling when I got my first cancer diagnosis.I turned to the baileys many a night and even asked the chemist to give something over the counter to help me sleep.It's good to keep busy in the day,keeps your mind off the wait.It's the waiting and the unknown that does your head in .Once you have the op.and you know all the facts then you can psyche yourself for whatever the journey.All of us here are on similar journeys .This site is like a little lifeboat keeping us afloat out in a stormy sea.

Tonya