Home At Last

Options
gilliann
gilliann Member Posts: 76
edited November 2016 in Community news and events

Hi Girlies, finally home after being in hospital all week with neutrpenia. Felt like a bit of a fraud to be honest as I physically felt fine but my neutrophil levels were very low. I intially went to my gp last Saturday with sore a throat & was prescribed antibiotics for tonsillitis.  Went back on the Monday for a follow up and my throat really wasn't improving.My gp rang me that evening & advised me to go to hospital.  Iv been there all week but im now home. Meant to have my 2nd chemo on wed but may have to postpone it a week if my levels are too low. I just want it all over and done with, the sooner the better.

My hair is also coming out in large clumps now my scalp is so frigging itchy but tomorrow is operation GI Gillian and meet my new friend Amanda (my wig :) ). I'll be sure to introduce you all to her  soon :)  xxxx

Comments

• mum2jj
    mum2jj Member Posts: 4,330
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hope things improve for you. Hope you and Amanda get on well. My wigs were called Erica and Madison ;)
    Hang in there and praying for neutrophils for you.
    Paula
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Gillian
    Hope your blood levels are ok for next Chemo. I had neutropenia last round but got onto it straight away. 3 days in hospital (day 12 to 14) on IV antibiotics followed by oral antibiotics at home. My blood levels were recovered in time for next round and so far so good this time with Neulasta injection 24 hours after Chemo.
    Your neutrophil level can recover very quickly once you have treatment (it can double in one day), so hopefully you will be right.
    Hope you and Amanda become best friends! It helps to feel good about how you look. I have learnt to feel ok about my wig and even though I don't use her all that much, she is good to have for occasions when you just want to feel normal and forget about the whole 'cancer' thing for a while!
    Hope things go better for you this next Chemo!
    Deanne xx
  • Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Ohhhh my poor sweetness

I am so sorry.  I have been thinking about you alot but thought you would be off enjoying yourself while your mum was here for you.  What a total bummer for you.  I hope things improve for you now and you get on top of it.  Drink lots of fluids, eat well and gentle exercise like walking when you can.  You need to nurture yourself sweety.

I had 3 wigs - one bought special for daughters hi-tea post wedding at the Duxton and also for the wedding.  That was $400 but HBF refunded the full amount.  She was called Beyonc'e.  The 2nd one was for everyday use which I loaned through the wig library and she was called Madonna.  The third was bought by my daughter for me and it was like a fringe that went all the way around to wear under hats etc.  and that was called friar tuck cause when you only had that on and no hat and a lovely shiny bald head you looked like friar tuck.

I wish you well with the big goodbye to your beautiful pretty hair but it is better to get it off and do a very short shave.  It will be prickly but I think it is best.  They say a silk pillow helps at night time.  It is only a few days and then the itching is over.  Try not to scratch it if you can help it.  I used and still use baby shampoo to wash my hair or head in the end as it is gentle and I only occasionally put bio oil or moisturiser on it as I don't think too much moisturiser is good.

Good luck precious, thinking of you every day, keep us informed.  Remember your Perth Pink Sisters are here for you if you need us, just ask.

Lots of love always, Mich xoxoxoxo