Options
Kerrieanne
Kerrieanne Member Posts: 7
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi all,

I have recently been diagnosed with ductal carcinoma I am having my Lumpectomy next wednesday. I feel overwhelmed with all the information there is to take in. I feel scared, wish I didn't have this, feel alone, but know I am not alone and will get through this.

I am so glad this site is available to be able to share my feelings.

Comments

• Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I felt exactly like you when I was diagnosed last December. You feel like your world is crashing down around you. It's the scariest thing I have ever dealt with. I was totally overwhelmed and felt like I was lost in a fog, wading in quicksand and all I could focus on was the word cancer. It was so unreal.

But believe me when I say that with the support of your family and friends and the fantastic ladies here on this site, you will find your inner strength and your journey will be easier to bear. I have now finished chemo and am not far off my bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction surgery and I've found that being a member of this site with this wonderful group of ladies has been a godsend to me. Whatever your treatment plan will be after your lumpectomy, there will be ladies here who can share their stories with you and help get you through.

There is a lot to take in at first and if you are like most of the rest of us, you'll forget so many details as these are whirled about your head. I have really relied on my husband to remember things at appointments especially in the initial stages. So if you have someone who can go with you to your appointments, they can be your ears. Otherwise ask if your Doctors could write things down for you. They shouldn't mind.

Like our Pink Sisters have advised me on numerous occasions, be kind to yourself and take things one day at a time.

We're here to listen and hopefully help make your journey not so rough.

Take care of yourself and sending lots of hugs.

Janey xx
  • Janey235
    Janey235 Member Posts: 1,206
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I felt exactly like you when I was diagnosed last December. You feel like your world is crashing down around you. It's the scariest thing I have ever dealt with. I was totally overwhelmed and felt like I was lost in a fog, wading in quicksand and all I could focus on was the word cancer. It was so unreal.

But believe me when I say that with the support of your family and friends and the fantastic ladies here on this site, you will find your inner strength and your journey will be easier to bear. I have now finished chemo and am not far off my bilateral mastectomy and reconstruction surgery and I've found that being a member of this site with this wonderful group of ladies has been a godsend to me. Whatever your treatment plan will be after your lumpectomy, there will be ladies here who can share their stories with you and help get you through.

There is a lot to take in at first and if you are like most of the rest of us, you'll forget so many details as these are whirled about your head. I have really relied on my husband to remember things at appointments especially in the initial stages. So if you have someone who can go with you to your appointments, they can be your ears. Otherwise ask if your Doctors could write things down for you. They shouldn't mind.

Like our Pink Sisters have advised me on numerous occasions, be kind to yourself and take things one day at a time.

We're here to listen and hopefully help make your journey not so rough.

Take care of yourself and sending lots of hugs.

Janey xx
  • Deanne
    Deanne Member Posts: 2,163
    edited March 2015
    Options
    I was diagnosed in May this year and yes it is very overwhelming at first. Please feel welcome to come and blog whenever you need to. As Janey has said there will usually be someone who can listen and help you along the way.

I totally agree with Janey about having someone accompany you to appointments as there is so much info to get your head around at first. Also I found it helpful to write a list of questions or concerns to take with me to appointments. My surgeon was excellent and even gave me her email address so I could contact her about any concerns between appointments. She did not want me to be anymore stressed than necessary.

I have had mastectomy, and 4 of 6 Chemo cycles with radiation to follow after that. I found it helped me to read about the treatments and understand how they work. For me knowledge is power and it also helps to have trust in the medical team looking after you.

I have found lots of positives to help along the way. It has brought my family and friends closer together and I have found it a great support to seek advice from the ladies on the network here.

It is tough and sometimes scary but you do find your strength and get through whatever you must. BC is very treatable and you just need to take it one step at a time and be gentle on yourself.

Hope your journey is not too bumpy and that you find lots of support to get you through.

Take care.
    xxoo Deanne
  • mgndam1603
    mgndam1603 Member Posts: 753
    edited March 2015
    Options

Firstly welcome to the site and so sorry to hear your diagnosis, this is a group no-one really wants to be a member of.

It is overwhelming and scary at first, I so remember those feels and used this site to vent in my early days, feel free the ladies are so supportive.

Good luck for wednesday and take things easy and be kibnd to yourself.

cheers

Donna

• Kerrieanne
    Kerrieanne Member Posts: 7
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi busymissy,

Im slowly geting my way around this site and understanding how to use it better. Thankyou for your message, I had my op last wednesday Lumpectomy & sentinel node biopsy and feel pretty good. Your philosophy works for me to , there is always some one worse off than me.

Hope things are going ok for you.

All the best

Kerrieanne