Newly Diagnosed

Options
SamzRusty
SamzRusty Member Posts: 325
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi Ladies, My name is Sam. I've been married 16years.I'm a mum to Josh 14 & Jade 6.
I'm very fortunate to have everything move very quickly so far. GP told me it was caner last Tuesday, saw my surgeon on Wednesday (Dr Norman Janu) & managed to have surgery on Thursday. I have stage 2-3 TNBC. I was expecting to have upto 30 lymph nodes removed...I think i was feeling for the drainage tube before I was even in recovery. Thankfully, only 2 were removed for testing as they looked clear to the pathologist while I was in surgery.
So now I wait until Friday 31/5 to see my Dr & find out my next steps. To the best of my knowledge, I'm looking at 3-4 months of chemo, once every 3 weeks? Then radiation 5 days a week for 6 weeks.
Can anyone give me any tips? Maybe things I should be asking my dr? I am feeling VERY positive about the road ahead, but I'm starting to feel a little scared about the Triple Negative result as everything I've read today looks pretty bad. Maybe I'll just stop reading for now ;)
Thanks, Sam

Comments

• debkell
    debkell Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam,

There is life after diagnosis! I was diagnosed TNBC grade 3 for Christmas 2009.. still here, still strong & no recurrence. I too had lumpectomy, 2 nodes, chemo & radiation.. chemo affects everyone differently, no two stories are the same. Best advice, go and buy a couple of wigs now (or see if there's a wig library at your hospital cancer support centre); get a really short haircut,;sign up for the"Look good feel better" workshops and pack a few meals into the freezer ;-). I found that a few days after my FEc-T combo each session  I was unable to do anything but sleep.. days 4 - 7 post chemo were always the worst for me, but by week 3 start I was OK again and ready for the next dose! I had to have one blood transfusion around treatment 4..probably ought to have had one at treatment 3, but "resisted". TNBC does get a bad press, which is statistically deserved, stopping reading is a good idea as it gets to be quite depressing.. we don;t need additional downers whilst on this journey! Stay positive, stay as healthy as you can (beware people with flu & other bugs whilst on chemo) and stay in touch!

• debkell
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam,

There is life after diagnosis! I was diagnosed TNBC grade 3 for Christmas 2009.. still here, still strong & no recurrence. I too had lumpectomy, 2 nodes, chemo & radiation.. chemo affects everyone differently, no two stories are the same. Best advice, go and buy a couple of wigs now (or see if there's a wig library at your hospital cancer support centre); get a really short haircut,;sign up for the"Look good feel better" workshops and pack a few meals into the freezer ;-). I found that a few days after my FEc-T combo each session  I was unable to do anything but sleep.. days 4 - 7 post chemo were always the worst for me, but by week 3 start I was OK again and ready for the next dose! I had to have one blood transfusion around treatment 4..probably ought to have had one at treatment 3, but "resisted". TNBC does get a bad press, which is statistically deserved, stopping reading is a good idea as it gets to be quite depressing.. we don;t need additional downers whilst on this journey! Stay positive, stay as healthy as you can (beware people with flu & other bugs whilst on chemo) and stay in touch!

• debkell
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam,

• Annie Gayed
    Annie Gayed Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam

Welcome to the network - I'm glad you found your way here. I thought you may be interested to read our webpage on triple negative breast cancer, which highlights that this particular type of breast cancer responds very well to chemotherapy.

When it comes to breast cancer, it's best to stick to good quality reliable information, and avoid the scary and unreliable stuff online. Unfortunately there's a lot out there. You can also chat with a cancer nurse for free by calling the Cancer Council Helpline on 13 11 20 - another trustworthy source of info.

All the best Sam :)

~ Annie

• SamzRusty
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks Annie,

THAT one I enjoyed reading :)

• Tam
    Tam Member Posts: 12
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Sam
    I've just finished my month of radiotherapy and just come home. Just to let you know where I'm at.
    I agree, I wouldn't read too much, focus on your healing at the moment, rest as much as you can before you start chemo starts. It's been and is such an extraordinary journey, very challenging but full of surprise blessings too, look out for them. My family and my friends are so much closer and life is so much richer!
    Keep in touch, we will all have fantastic hints and tips along the way.
    I have had a fantastic naturopath working with me the whole time, which has supported my body tremendously.
    Tam.
  • Deeay
    Deeay Member Posts: 278
    edited March 2015
    Options

I found the Cancer Council education groups and the Cancer Connect program excellent. Look for a local support group on this BCNA website too. I found it really great to meet other women who were going through the same as me and several of them are still friends now.

Read the BCNA and Cancer Council info and AVOID Mr Google. Statistics are out of date and my oncologist assures me that when our statistics are available they will be MUCH better!

The Triple Negative Breast Cancer Foundation website in the US has great info too and aother forum you can join or just browse through the stories of very positve empowered women.

http://www.tnbcfoundation.org

All the best! (I am triple negative too - Grade 3, Stage 2, surgery May 2011)

Diane

• SamzRusty
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks so much for the support. 

Really busting to see my surgeon on Friday, the list of questions is growing :)

• SamzRusty
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks so much for the support. 

Really busting to see my surgeon on Friday, the list of questions is growing :)

• SoldierCrab
    SoldierCrab Member Posts: 3,445
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Sam 

Take it one day at at time, 

so days are one hour at a time. 

I am sure that you will find plenty of support via the BCNA network. 

I have used oncology trained massage therapist for help getting thru my chemo. and I see a Kinesologist who helps me balance my body against the Chemo effects. 

If you have access to the Jane McGrath Breast cancer Nurse in your area connect they have been absolutely wonderful in sourcing correct information and supporting me thru the journey. 

If you personally dont want to wear a wig dont. 

I am quite happy bald .... Live in regional australia in a cold climate so wear a hat on cold days my kids and friends have bought me wonderful hats which I will donate to Westmead Kids oncology ward when I am finished with them..... Lions, sheep, tiger, Lilo from stitch, etc. 

I have heaps of scarves and chose what goes with what. 

my biggest tip is remember this is a season in your life .... and let go and allow yourself to sleep etc when you need to. ask for  help (housework etc) when you need it.