New

Options
tan_g
tan_g Member Posts: 56
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi, my name is Tania. Im 36 years old, married with 2 young children and an adult daughter. I live in country Western Australia.  Just diagnosed last week with IDC  3 tumours in my right breast, stage 1 on biopsy.

Scared is an understatement, never felt anything like this in my life, i think the unknown is the worst, dont know what treatment im going to be having, am i going to die?

Appt with my surgeon this wednesday...

Comments

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Tania

Snap, my name is Tanya and I too was diagnosed when I was 36 and my children were 2 and 4. I am sitting here in the car park of the hospital where I had my chemo typing this to you from my phone 5 years later and I am happy, well and living life. I am just here for a visit to say hi to other people going through chemo and pinch some cookies and some love.

Anyway, enough about me, sweets you must be beside yourself with worry, it feels like something that happens to other people and feels like a bad dream:( stage 1 is a plus (if there are any plus's to this crap), there are so many things going through your head and it will all seem like a blur until you have a plan.

Anyway, if you would like a chat, I will PM you my mobile number, I feel there are many similarities between us and I am happy to share my stuff with you. Xx
  • tan_g
    edited March 2015
    Options

Stupid thing to be worried about really, no bc in my left breast, but Im opting for a bilateral mastectomy and skin sparing reconstruction at the same time...

Any advice for me?  Have i made the right decision will i need chemo after a bilateral?

xx

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Not stupid at all, I too had the bi-lateral mastectomy skin sparing with expanders.

Lots of women keep their nipples, other chose to have new fake ones, at the end of the day it is your choice, your surgeon will give you all the options and then you can make a choice based on the information you have.

Chemo will also depend on the pathology results, ie what type of cancer, the grade, if it has spread to your lymph nodes etc, again there is no hard and fast rule, all cancers are different and your oncologist will make the recommendation based on the results. When are you having your surgery?

Talk soon, ask questions xxx

Tanya
  • tan_g
    edited March 2015
    Options

Honestly this site has been my lifeline.  My surgeon has said in approx 10 days ill have my surgery, he will book me in to Perth tomorrow, so this time tomorrow i will have a date...and im looking forward to knowing to be honest.

Just want this thing gone ASAP !! i keep saying that

Thank-you so so much

Tania

x

• chamini
    chamini Member Posts: 25
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Tania

When I was diagnosed in 2011 I feltthe same. It feels like you are in a bad dream. It is an illness not a death sentence. It is good to hear that the operation will be scheduled soon.

You can normally keep your nipples but that does depend on where the cancer is and how close to the surfac. Mine was close to the skin and also close to the nipple but my doctor was able to save the nipple luckily it was out side the 2 cm margin they cut to makesure the cancer had not spread.

Remember you found it early this is a good thing despite everything associated with cancer. The treatments are getting better.

I am not from WA but if you need to chat please feel free.

Best wishes

Chamini