racha

racha
racha Member Posts: 6
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Hi

was diagnosed with breast cancer last month. found the lump on self examination. Had lumpectomy and sentinel node biopsy. Met with my oncologist today. Going to start with radiation followed by hormonal therapy. trying to get more info about HT. If anyone has gone through HT can you please share your experience.

thanks

Racha

Tagged:

Comments

• Annie Gayed
    Annie Gayed Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2015

Hi Racha,

Welcome to the online network - I'm glad you found your way here.

I thought I would jump online and let you know that BCNA recently launched a new booklet for women called 'Hormone therapy and breast cancer' which provides a great deal of information on the topic. We would love to send you a free copy - just give us a call on 1800 500 258 or order a copy through our website.

You can also search the network for similar blog posts by other women, by using the search pane on the top right hand side. Perhaps try searching 'hormone therapy', or the name of the drug.

Good luck Racha, and feel free to give us a holler if you need any help using the network.

Annie :)

• Annie Gayed
    Annie Gayed Member Posts: 204
    edited March 2015

Hi Racha,

Welcome to the online network - I'm glad you found your way here.

I thought I would jump online and let you know that BCNA recently launched a new booklet for women called 'Hormone therapy and breast cancer' which provides a great deal of information on the topic. We would love to send you a free copy - just give us a call on 1800 500 258 or order a copy through our website.

You can also search the network for similar blog posts by other women, by using the search pane on the top right hand side. Perhaps try searching 'hormone therapy', or the name of the drug.

Good luck Racha, and feel free to give us a holler if you need any help using the network.

Annie :)

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    edited March 2015

Welcome to this network but sorry to hear about your bc diagnosis.I've been through it twice(2003 and 2010) and I am on Tamoxifen.It seems to be agreeing with me but at first I got dreadful hot flushes,low mood and sleepless nights.I take another medication which really helped eliminate those symptoms.Tamoxifen has been around the longest -many women don't have any problems with it.Depending on your age,you may be offerred a different drug. 

Tonya xx

• racha
    edited March 2015

Thanks Tonya for your reply. Must have been hard on you getting it back. Are you on tamoxifen since 2010. I read lot of side effects for tamoxifen and am bit worried. I am 44 and will be on zoladex and tamoxifen.

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015

I've been on Tamoxifen for over 2 years now and it really isn't too bad. The worst side effects are uterine cancer and dvt but these are rare.I didn't take it back in 2003 - I tried it for about 3months and had bad side effects so I  stopped it. If I had kept taking it perhaps breast cancer may not have returned 7 years later in the same breast - hindsight's a great thing! Anyway,I dare not stop it now cos the return of cancer is far worse than a few hot flushes. I can't comment on zolodex as I haven't had it. But you can only try them and see how you go.There are other drugs that can help with side effects if you get any. I was 47 when I had a lumpectomy,full node clearance and radiation - similar to what you've had.My nodes were all clear and my cancer was eostrogen +ve, hercepton -ve. There is about an 8% chance of cancer returning in the same breast despite all this treatment. I was shocked it came back 7 years later in the same spot.But it was still classed as early bc and Tamoxifen is very effective at preventing any further recurrences from this type of cancer. I went on a long flight earlier in the year and I stopped Tamoxifen for awhile-didn't want to risk a dvt .But that was my choice,doctor said I didn't have to stop it. Keep researching and asking questions until you feel comfortable with your decisions.

Tonya xx

• TonyaM
    edited March 2015

I've been on Tamoxifen for over 2 years now and it really isn't too bad. The worst side effects are uterine cancer and dvt but these are rare.I didn't take it back in 2003 - I tried it for about 3months and had bad side effects so I  stopped it. If I had kept taking it perhaps breast cancer may not have returned 7 years later in the same breast - hindsight's a great thing! Anyway,I dare not stop it now cos the return of cancer is far worse than a few hot flushes. I can't comment on zolodex as I haven't had it. But you can only try them and see how you go.There are other drugs that can help with side effects if you get any. I was 47 when I had a lumpectomy,full node clearance and radiation - similar to what you've had.My nodes were all clear and my cancer was eostrogen +ve, hercepton -ve. There is about an 8% chance of cancer returning in the same breast despite all this treatment. I was shocked it came back 7 years later in the same spot.But it was still classed as early bc and Tamoxifen is very effective at preventing any further recurrences from this type of cancer. I went on a long flight earlier in the year and I stopped Tamoxifen for awhile-didn't want to risk a dvt .But that was my choice,doctor said I didn't have to stop it. Keep researching and asking questions until you feel comfortable with your decisions.

Tonya xx

• racha
    edited March 2015

Yes we are lucky that way its early BC.  I am going to see my oncologist on tue and will take all my doubts and questions.  thanks tonya. take care.