Mastectomy Swimwear

Options
Anna Lynch
Anna Lynch Member Posts: 6
edited October 2010 in Health and wellbeing

Hi.  I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good provider of mastectomy swimwear.  Thanks.  Anna

Comments

• Katie Allen
    Katie Allen Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anna,

I have been looking around on the web and have found a few different websites that may be of help to you:

I hope these websites help you in your quest to find some swimmers. I used to live in Wollongong and can vouch for the women at Cossies R Us in Corrimal, they are lovely.

Katie

• Katie Allen
    Katie Allen Member Posts: 28
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anna,

I have been looking around on the web and have found a few different websites that may be of help to you:

I hope these websites help you in your quest to find some swimmers. I used to live in Wollongong and can vouch for the women at Cossies R Us in Corrimal, they are lovely.

Katie

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi

I got frustrated with only having one or two to choose from and paying $100 plus for mastecomy togs, so now I modify my own !  I will check with the BCNA girls and see if there is a place I can put a picture up (not of me in the togs - that would just be wrong on so many levels) but of my tog mods!!

Most of the better brands have the little built in bra, you can just stich the bottom down and cut a hole in the side of the bra (not the cossie) for the prostesis to go in.  I am not a great sewer, but it is quite easy. 

Good luck.

Tanya

Tanya

• Anna Lynch
    Anna Lynch Member Posts: 6
    edited March 2015
    Options

Thanks heaps Tanya.  Hope you don't mind me asking but I'm also looking at swim prostesis but they seem to range in price from $40 - $200+ - from your experience what type do you think are better.  I would like them to swim in casually but also be able to do lap swimming.  I was an A-cup before surgery so I am only looking at a small prostesis.  Thanks.  Anna

• Genevieve 56
    Genevieve 56 Member Posts: 5
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anna,

I have done the same as Tanya with my swimmers. As for your Prosthesis, I was given a "Chicken Fillet" as a stand in when I had my mastectomy and it was great, you being an A cup this might suffice as a swimming prosthesis. I live in Vic and the Lingerie shop where I get my bras from also sell swim wear. The brand is called Amoena. I have their website  www.amoena.com.au  I hope this is of some help for you.

Genevieve

• jobo
    jobo Member Posts: 1
    edited March 2015
    Options

If you are in Sydney you can go to Leila O'Toole in the Dymocks Building, George street. the ladies their are fantastic and they have a really good range of swimmers scarves and bras.

good luck.

• w.a. kaz
    w.a. kaz Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anna, I used to sell post mastectomy bras and swimmers but due to health issues have shut my business down. I have heaps left over, mainly tops but a few full piece. The brand name is Jem Designs, they are in Prospect, SA. you could check out there website but if i can help i have plenty here and if you email me i am happy to send you some pic's of what I have and am selling them at cost price. They are are very small sizing, chlorine resistant, have pockets on both sides, also they make a 'foamie" which i have plenty of too for swimming as not all prothesis are good in chlorine. Also not sure we're you are but have you heard of the en-core programme? Its specifically for woman with breastcancer, well worth doing and you get to meet other woman going through bc. I am away from home for a week but will check my emails when i get home and if I can help out would love to. good luck,  Karen  (email- holmesmob@westnet.com.au)

• w.a. kaz
    w.a. kaz Member Posts: 80
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anna, I used to sell post mastectomy bras and swimmers but due to health issues have shut my business down. I have heaps left over, mainly tops but a few full piece. The brand name is Jem Designs, they are in Prospect, SA. you could check out there website but if i can help i have plenty here and if you email me i am happy to send you some pic's of what I have and am selling them at cost price. They are are very small sizing, chlorine resistant, have pockets on both sides, also they make a 'foamie" which i have plenty of too for swimming as not all prothesis are good in chlorine. Also not sure we're you are but have you heard of the en-core programme? Its specifically for woman with breastcancer, well worth doing and you get to meet other woman going through bc. I am away from home for a week but will check my emails when i get home and if I can help out would love to. good luck,  Karen  (email- holmesmob@westnet.com.au)

• Shazbo
    Shazbo Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anna, I live on the North Coast and we are very lucky to have a great shop called Swimwear Australia they have a great range and even did a swimwear parade at a recent forum we had for women that have breasts cancer. They are only new so their full web site not up and running yet but they are on face  book  under Swim Wear Australia, Kristy is very helpful and will post anything for you or just give her a call for some information. Hope this helps Shazbo

• Shazbo
    Shazbo Member Posts: 11
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Anna, I live on the North Coast and we are very lucky to have a great shop called Swimwear Australia they have a great range and even did a swimwear parade at a recent forum we had for women that have breasts cancer. They are only new so their full web site not up and running yet but they are on face  book  under Swim Wear Australia, Kristy is very helpful and will post anything for you or just give her a call for some information. Hope this helps Shazbo

• sue s
    sue s Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

3 months ago I purchased Jets Masectomy swimwear from Swimwear Galore. I have worn these around 30 times and now the masectomy pouch has collapsed and my prosthesis sinks down to around my belly button. As the swimwear cost around $200 plus postage I returned it to the company this week but was refused exchange/refund as the swimwear is not chlorine resistant and therefore the company states will not withstand any pool wear. This should really be stated when purchasing the swimwear because obviously I expected it to last more than a month and now I have to pay for postage for them to return the swimwear for private alteration if i do not purchase new swimwear through their site. Which i refuse. Previously I wore another brand of swimwear, Palazzi, which lasted the whole of summer.

• sue s
    sue s Member Posts: 2
    edited March 2015
    Options

3 months ago I purchased Jets Masectomy swimwear from Swimwear Galore. I have worn these around 30 times and now the masectomy pouch has collapsed and my prosthesis sinks down to around my belly button. As the swimwear cost around $200 plus postage I returned it to the company this week but was refused exchange/refund as the swimwear is not chlorine resistant and therefore the company states will not withstand any pool wear. This should really be stated when purchasing the swimwear because obviously I expected it to last more than a month and now I have to pay for postage for them to return the swimwear for private alteration if i do not purchase new swimwear through their site. Which i refuse. Previously I wore another brand of swimwear, Palazzi, which lasted the whole of summer.

• Daina_BCNA
    Daina_BCNA Member Posts: 796
    edited March 2015
    Options

Morning ladies,

It is great to see you are all recommending suppliers for mastectomy swimwear!

You might find our Local Services Directory useful also! You can search for services in your area or for a specific product/provider for example 'swimwear'. Visit the Directory and search for these services or if you would like to recommend a service simply complete the 'Suggest a service' form.

The Directory is still new, so we are relying on our members to recommend services that they have used and have found helped following their diagnosis of breast cancer.

Feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss further, 1800 500 258.

Cheers,
    Daina