my doctors and secretaries, all are very busy

lillekatt
lillekatt Member Posts: 35
edited October 2016 in Community news and events

I am under public system since last Tuesday or something. I still have same doctors (breast and plastic surgeon) but appointment with breast surgeon is now impossible. Her secretary told me she'd try to get one for me yesterday when I sobbed and told her that I did not have enough technical information about my case to decide if I should get unilateral or bilateral mastectomy. But she never called me back….I called office but no appointment had made for me.  Today my doctor called and left message to tell she needed my decision now she is running out of time and I might lose the 8/10 operation day that I have already signed on admission form.  I called back to tell her  and said I wanted unilateral and expander implant (I wasn’t sure but I couldn’t get my healthy breast off at one time).. Today  she said I had high risk for recurrence on the same breast. she never  said it before. And for the other breast I remember I was told the cancer risk to be 7% but today she said 30%! All in sudden the risk is inflated. I lost credibility toward her. Maybe she is very busy. She sounded that it would be difficult to find cancer in on my other breast early stage. All these I never heard in 4 appointments. If she thought so why did she operate 2nd lumpectomy ?? I had an appointment with my plastic surgeon and from my private insurance we learned plastic surgery not covered. I didn't get quote on my visit he said it is free for public. Any way he won't operate public patient and it'll be done by his registered surgeon who I never met. But  I think at least someone needs to measure my breast to order a  expander. Nobody told me until I asked my doctor today. Then she told me to make appointment with plastic surgeon once again. It is what one should expect as public patient,  It seems like my doctors have easier to co-ordinate in private system but not smooth in public . I don't know I cannot know who will be the plastic surgeon. I hope plastic surgery part goes well even the doctor never see me before the operation.... I read the risk for other breast get cancer is not very high for women over 50, and the risk to get cancer on other breast can be same as getting cancer spread to other part of body. There were many discussions about unnecessary bilateral mastectomy. But all in sudden my breast doctor sounded like bilateral is the best way to go.. and the risk percentage she gave me constantly changed.   I hope public system works fine for me… it is full of surprises,  I feel that there should be a co-ordinator who is not too overloaded like my doctors , secretaries and nurses.  They are all too busy. I don’t think my doctor remember my case. She has many patients.  Any way I’m still positive about public system.  I need to get my tissue expander ordered but the plastic surgeon has no available time at all. His secretary will call me when there is cancellation and  I have to grab that time. I’m working as well.. 

I had to give the final decision on phone at lunch time at work not to miss operation. Unexpected.  I'm bit worried that my doctor gave me much high risk for recurrence today. I hope she has told me everything she knew from examination.  But I'm OK with my final decision any way. 

Comments

• lillekatt
    edited March 2015

I'll trust early detection technique improve for dense breast as well.

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015

You poor love,no one should have to wait for an operation under these confusing conditions. It is very important to have the trust and confidence in your surgeon.Do you have a breast care nurse at the hospital- or even a nearby hospital?If so,then contact her and tell her your situation.They are very understanding and could perhaps contact your surgeon on your behalf. Could you get a second opinion from another surgeon?I think you need more answers and I feel so sorry for you in this situation.All your pink sisters are here for you so if you need other surgeons names let us know which area you are in.Thinking of you and sending a hug.

Tonya xx

• lillekatt
    edited March 2015

Oh, thank you, Tonya.. . I think I'm fine. As I asked for transfer to public system I have a different breast nurse and I'm not so sure about her. I don't think my doctor is consistent about what she says. It is not that I don't remember what she said before..  If she has a reason to change treatment recommendation from lumpectomy to bilateral mastectomy I thought I deserve an explanation endorsed by a fact. But I can't even get appointment. But even my doctor says I have 30% risk to get cancer on the other breast I am fine not to get bilateral mastectomy now. I cannot trust any of the risk %. I believe I can be treated if I get one on the other side. I’ll call breast nurse but I’m not sure what she can help. My doctor needed a definitive answer from me today.  I think it is unbelievable. 

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,836
    edited March 2015

Maybe you could ask your"old"breast care nurse to contact the new one in the public hospital. Your operation is more than 3 weeks away,yes?Why is your surgeon so insistant? If you tell her secretary you can't decide and need an appointment then surely she has to see you. Lillekat,when you see any doctor ask them to write down on paper what they are telling you.This way you have a record of the conversation.This not only helps with your memory but also makes it hard for doctor to change mind about statistics!!Stay strong,stand your ground and good luck.

Tonya xx