Just diagnosed

suzieq
suzieq Member Posts: 332
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed

Today is Friday 3 August 2012.  At 5.15pm I received news my breast biopsy has been diagnosed as cancer.  Can't see my GP until Monday.  Feeling isolated.

Tagged:

Comments

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    edited March 2015

So sorry to hear your news. Oh gosh,I remember that "sick to the pit of my stomach"feeling when I got my first bc diagnosis.Like you,it was Friday afternoon and I had to wait till Tuesday to see the surgeon.I spent the weekend in a state of high anxiety,couldn't eat,crying,disbelief.I thought it was spreading through my body like some out of control inferno.That was 2003. Just know Suzie that the majority of women survive breast cancer,especially when picked up early. Blog back here for info and support or just to vent- it really helps and you won't feel so alone. Sending you a hug tonight.

Tonya xx

• LouiseTurner
    LouiseTurner Member Posts: 1,610
    edited March 2015
    Wow, this may be a very long weekend for you. I sympathise with you, but unfortunately a common theme here on BCNA is waiting.

I was diagnosed in mid June, and time has crawled by since. I too am waiting on some results over this weekend. Damn that!

It is great that you have found this site, a great way to connect with others in similar circumstances. There is literally loads and loads of people's different stories, I have found that enormously interesting and relevant and thoroughly absorbing.

Good luck to you for Monday, let us know your story. Try to stay positive over the weekend, maybe write down a few questions for the GP. If you can, take someone with you Monday, coz you make be in shock when the GP is speaking about it directly to you. Also, be sure to get a copy of the pathology report for yourself to digest more slowly and to research.

Listen to me......an expert after just 6 weeks into my own journey!

Welcome to the club, and hopefully on this site you might start to feel less isolated. Tough times ahead, but login here for friendly support anytime.

Also, order the 'my journey' kit if you haven't already, a very embracing experience I found.

stay strong sister

Louie

• suzieq
    edited March 2015

Tonya,

Thank you so much for relating to me.  This afternoon I felt so isolated.  I felt your hug - it was warm and nurturing.  Thank you.....

Suzieq xx

• suzieq
    edited March 2015

Louie

Thank you so much for taking the time to talk to me.  I ordered the kit about 2 hours ago.  Yes, I am so lucky I found this site.  It is full of wonderful inspiring women.  It also helps knowing others are on this journey too  - I no longer feel so alone.  Great advice about the pathology report and I will be taking my husband with me because I am sure I won't hear a word the Doctor is saying. 

I don't know my way around this blogging thing yet - I am still stumbling around this stie - hoping not to make too many blogging blunders.

Suzieq

• Cheryl D
    Cheryl D Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015

I found out on the friday of a long weekend and thought i would be dead by the Tuesday before I could even see anyone,it doesn't spread that fast I found out after much searching and getting on here and other sites lol.

Sorry you have had to join us but just know that we are here

Regards

Cheryl

• kato
    kato Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2015

I had to wait a week to see the surgeon and it was the longest week in my life. Once I knew where I was headed I felt more in control.

I started taking a paper and pen to the doctors. I would write any questions I had, no matter how silly they seemed, and left space under each question to write the answers.

My husband came to my first appointment but I realised after that he was in as much shock as I was, so he couldn't remember what the Dr had said either.

Giant {{{{{{hugs}}}}}}, Kylie

• lanilumps71
    lanilumps71 Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015

I like you was diagnosed in early July!! have just had my surgery yesterday!! they got it all!! Best thing i can say to you... is try not to worry too much! Every situation is different... keep gaining comfort from these women on this site! It helped me so much!! Get your information here and stay of google!! scared the shit out of me and none of it happened anyway!! If you can... find a way to distract yourself and keep busy for now! The waiting is the worst.. keep posting and let us know how you are going!!

Here for you chic... biggest hugs coming your way xxx

• lanilumps71
    lanilumps71 Member Posts: 66
    edited March 2015

I like you was diagnosed in early July!! have just had my surgery yesterday!! they got it all!! Best thing i can say to you... is try not to worry too much! Every situation is different... keep gaining comfort from these women on this site! It helped me so much!! Get your information here and stay of google!! scared the shit out of me and none of it happened anyway!! If you can... find a way to distract yourself and keep busy for now! The waiting is the worst.. keep posting and let us know how you are going!!

Here for you chic... biggest hugs coming your way xxx

• SharonMolenaar
    SharonMolenaar Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2015
    Hello lovely lady....I feel your isolation. I am nearly four weeks post bilateral mastectomy and I waited 4weeks from diagnosis until surgery. I can honestly say to you that it gets much easier once you know all the information. I was a complete wreck thinking that cancer was spreading throughout my body while I waited for appointments and surgery to be booked. Every pain and ache I experienced I convinced myself it was cancer. I have found all the women on this site just wonderful for reassurance and advice. Just look after yourself and ask any questions on here ( rather than randomly googling because you can come across information that isn't correct ) big hugs xoxoxo
  • SharonMolenaar
    SharonMolenaar Member Posts: 23
    edited March 2015
    Hello lovely lady....I feel your isolation. I am nearly four weeks post bilateral mastectomy and I waited 4weeks from diagnosis until surgery. I can honestly say to you that it gets much easier once you know all the information. I was a complete wreck thinking that cancer was spreading throughout my body while I waited for appointments and surgery to be booked. Every pain and ache I experienced I convinced myself it was cancer. I have found all the women on this site just wonderful for reassurance and advice. Just look after yourself and ask any questions on here ( rather than randomly googling because you can come across information that isn't correct ) big hugs xoxoxo
  • suzieq
    edited March 2015

Hi Cheryl.  Yes, I have already buried myself.  No-one should find out they have cancer on Friday afternoon at 5.30pm.  I don't even have a surgeon yet, just a GP.  I don't know how long I have to wait to see a surgeon.  I am totally in the dark - don't know the process - I am sure I will have to have lots more tests, including a brain scan?  Very scary stuff. 

Regards

Suzie

• suzieq
    edited March 2015

Hi Kylie

Thank you.  I was wondering how long it would be before I saw a surgeon.  Don't think I can last that long.  I am still in shock.  Last night I kept waking up weeping.  I feel weak and pathetic.  I have always been strong but this has rocked my world.  Keep blaming myself - it must have been something I have done.  I don't think I will be able to relax until I know whether it is isolated in the breast.  Wish me luck...

Regards

Suzie

• suzieq
    edited March 2015

Wow, surgery yesterday!  Congratulations, I am so happy for you that they got it all.  Yesterday when I received the news I went on Google - that lasted for 5 minutes - you are right - it scared the shit out of me too.  I am not usually the kind of person who feels sorry for themselves -  I usually toughen up quickly.  At the moment I am wallowing in self pity but I am sure that will turn around.  Can I ask you if you had regular mamograms?  I haven't had one for 6 years and I am hitting myself over the head with that.  Once again, I am so happy for you that they got it all.  Good on you.....

Regards

Sue

• suzieq
    edited March 2015

Hi Sharon

Everything you say is true for me too.  I don't know anything yet.  All the Doctor said to me over the phone was best case scenaria surgery and radiation, worst case - surgery, radiation and chemo.  She said need to know whether it has spread which means testing lymph nodes and brain scan.  Whatever she said after that went undetected in my brain - I know she talked for about 10 minutes after that but nothing registered.  I don't even have a surgeon!  I am a mess.  I wish I hadn't told my family because they are coping worse than me.   Happy to learn anything I can from you lovely ladies.

Regards

Sue

• TonyaM
    TonyaM Member Posts: 2,835
    edited March 2015

Where do you live ?Maybe one us can recommend a surgeon. You usually can get in to see a surgeon quite quickly -they make room for urgent cases. Your GP can ring the surgeon and get you in.Unless,ofcourse,you live out in the sticks.Don't worry that it's anything you've done or not done -cancer doesn't discriminate.You can be the healthiest woman with no bc family history and still cop it. It'll do your head in trying to figure out how you got it. Stay busy,clean out cupboards etc and have a little drink to calm the nerves.We are here if you need us.

Tonya xx