Advice for the newly diagnosed

Options
DansBoobs
DansBoobs Member Posts: 150
edited October 2016 in Newly diagnosed
Hi all,
Just going through the current posts, and 1 recurring theme pops out at me for all the people out there that have just been diagnosed.
I also remember how I felt, and as a cancer nurse AND cancer patient i thought I might post some tips.
For all the other "old hats" Feel free to add anything :)

1) take a deep breath and be kind to yourself.
You have embarked on a crazy roller coaster ride which has ups downs and twists and turns. Take comfort. In the fact that it does settle down.

2) it's normal to be scared and think the worst.
We all do. Hop on here and tell us all about it. Read some of the other stories. Talk to other people, cry, scream, throw things. Journal it, get it out there.

3) take a pen and paper and a support person to your doctors appointments.
Write down important things even if it's just dates of tests etc.

4) ASK QUESTIONS!
I can't stress this enough. If you don't understand something ask them to explain it and write it down. This is your body and you have the right to feel comfortable about everything they do to it!

5) ask them to explain your pathology.
These are probably going to be all new terms you've never heard before. Granted some people may not want to know and that's fine but if you do, Ask them what the hormone receptors mean, the grade, size etc. ask them what this means for your treatment options, is it aggressive or not? Its your tumor, get to know it. A known enemy is easier to fight.

6) as questions pop up at home write them down.
The amount of times I walked out of the doctors and though crap! I forgot to ask that! It's advice I always give to my patients then never did myself! Ha!
Tagged:

Comments

• Mich x
    Mich x Member Posts: 1,530
    edited March 2015
    Options

Very well put Dan,

These might be a little bit further down the track of the journey but

One I can add and Found I have really struggled in doing is -

When people offer to help you, please let them!!!.  Not just because it will make your life feel better but it will help them feel that they have done their bit in some way towards helping you through this crappy time.

Also contact Cancer Council and see if they can help you financially, with gardening, cleaning, support and anything else you may need.

Mich xoxo