New Here

Judy_H
Judy_H Member Posts: 10
edited January 2012 in General discussion

Hi I'm Judy and I hope I'm no too old for this group. I'm 46, married with 2 grown children(20&18). I was diagnosed on 8 Dec and have since had surgery on 21st Dec. I had a lumpectamy to remove the cancer on my right breast and a couple of benign but suspicious looking lumps from the left. Being well endowed I also had a Bi- lateral Breast reduction, to aid in further treatment. They also took the sentinal node but no others at this point. I'm still waiting on pathology because of the holidays, but should get it back this week and find out what the rest of my treatment will look like. It's all been a bit of a whirlwind, I've only just felt ready to read all the material given to me and this site was recommended, so I thought I would try and connect with some other women in a similar position.

Comments

• Melg
    Melg Member Posts: 174
    edited March 2015
    Hi Judy
    Welcome. Like you I am new to breast cancer. I was diagnosed with multiple bc in both breasts in Oct. Had a bilateral mastectomy then bilateral clearance in November. I have my first chemo treatment this Friday. As I gained more information including pathology and scan results I felt more able to cope. The wait for pathology seems to be one of the hardest. You will surprise yourself at how you are able to deal well with anything thrown your way on your journey. Once you have a schedule of treatment etc the road becomes a little smoother.
    How are your children coping? My chn are similar ages and the hardest part so far was telling them.
    Take the time to come and share your experiences. There are so many amazing supportive women here ready to take your hand and walk the journey with you.
    Take care of yourself.
    Mel xx
  • Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

Yes as Mel says the waiting is the hardest.  It really is amazing how we all cope with the treatment.  I found it best to "know everything" when I had my first diagnosis back in 2006.  I nearly drove myself mad reading everything and asking so many questions of my surgeon.  The second time around in 2010 I was a lot more relaxed.  My surgeon was more anxious and upset than I was.  Once you have the results and get your plan you will adjust your life to fit in with it.  The treatment is just "something that has to be done".  What got me through the chemo (didn't have it the first diagnosis) was knowing that others before me had done it and survived.  It is really good having this site to ask questions when you need to.  All the best XLeonie

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

Yes as Mel says the waiting is the hardest.  It really is amazing how we all cope with the treatment.  I found it best to "know everything" when I had my first diagnosis back in 2006.  I nearly drove myself mad reading everything and asking so many questions of my surgeon.  The second time around in 2010 I was a lot more relaxed.  My surgeon was more anxious and upset than I was.  Once you have the results and get your plan you will adjust your life to fit in with it.  The treatment is just "something that has to be done".  What got me through the chemo (didn't have it the first diagnosis) was knowing that others before me had done it and survived.  It is really good having this site to ask questions when you need to.  All the best XLeonie

• Judy_H
    edited March 2015

Thanks for responding Mel and thanks for your encouragement. I feel a bit in limbo at the moment, I'm sure that will change after I have a set treatment.

My children are coping well...my daughter is 18 and has been really supportive. I didn't actually find out about the breast cancer until I was at the Breast surgeon...it all happenend so fast and they had to phone through for results of the biopsy. My daughter was at this appt. with me. She has been putting her arm around me and encouraging me since. My Son (20) is the strong silent type but he too has been taking extra time to comfort me and just be there. My hubby and I sat and talked it through with both of them the night we found out, this was a positive time for all of us.

I hope your chemo goes well on Friday.

Thanks for your support 

Judy

• Judy_H
    edited March 2015

Thanks for your encouragement too Leonie. It's a strange new adventure, but its good to know I am not alone. I'm glad there are people here who will understand what I'm going through.Thanks,

Judy

• Renata
    Renata Member Posts: 105
    edited March 2015

Hi Judy,

Good luck with your pathology results, I imagine it must be an anxious wait but when you find out what your treatment regime will be you can relax a little. It is a great site and it is good to be able to chat with other women who can understand what you are going through.

Take carexox

Renata

• kato
    kato Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2015

I agree this is such a great site to get support and some much needed answers. Not knowing what is going on is so hard.

I am waiting for my full lymph clearance after a positive sentinel and it has been the longest 5 weeks of my life. Christmas and the surgeons holidays certainly delay things...  Bring on next Wednesday! 

I am glad your family are being a great support, smiley face text messages during the day make all the difference to me.

Thinking of you,

Kylie

• kato
    kato Member Posts: 42
    edited March 2015

I agree this is such a great site to get support and some much needed answers. Not knowing what is going on is so hard.

I am waiting for my full lymph clearance after a positive sentinel and it has been the longest 5 weeks of my life. Christmas and the surgeons holidays certainly delay things...  Bring on next Wednesday! 

I am glad your family are being a great support, smiley face text messages during the day make all the difference to me.

Thinking of you,

Kylie

• Gadgetmumma
    Gadgetmumma Member Posts: 15
    edited March 2015

Hi ladies

It is strange to imagine how so many positives can come from facing a crisis. I also had fantastic support during my BC journey.

My elderly mother (90) went through bowel cancer a couple of years ago. Before that she used to sit alone at home (she lives alone in a small country town) and see heaps of her neighbours receiving visitors daily - with their family living locally. She became embittered that no-one visited her, no-one phoned regularly enough etc.It didn't matter how often we phoned she would answer the phone with "It's been a week since you phoned me last!" (Focussing on the negatives.)

Once she had been through the cancer, and the family rallied to encompass her with assistance, support and love, she viewed the whole thing very differently. It truly changed her attitude to us all. She is the most loving mother now and so pleased to hear from us. And, because she is so warm and welcoming, we phone more often! :)

She has been a widow since she was 38 so she has had it tough, but she certainly hasn't been grumpy all those years. It only started once all her friends started dying off. She is one of the last of a big group. She also did lots of community work until about 5 years ago. She is missing the sense of community.  I call it her 'small paddock' . . . she is a big thing in a small space now, so everything seems LARGE to her.

Anyway, after a big rave . . . :) . . .  my message is that the bowel cancer was the best thing that happened to my mum in a few years because of all the positives that were to be gained from her troubles. I hope that you and your family also can draw goodness from this, Judy.

Best wishes for your journey, Judy. Also, good luck with the pathology. The wait is terrible, isn't it?

Jenny

• Samhutto
    Samhutto Member Posts: 51
    edited March 2015
    Hi Judy. Glad you found your way here. I was diagnosed in oct, had a right mastectomy & a negative sentinode biopsy result, but my short 5 day wait for those results is fresh in my mind...I can't imagine how your long wait has been...I am not religious but I pray you get great results early this week!! As Mel & the others say, once you get your results & know what you are dealing with, you will feel much more empowered.
    Goodluck & thinking of you.
    Sam xo