Any advice?

Options
LindaD
LindaD Member Posts: 16
edited January 2012 in Health and wellbeing
I'm a 37 year old mother of 3, I've just finished my 6 treatments of chemo & will be starting tamoxifen next week, can anyone give me some advice about what's in store for me? I've already lost a boob, my hair, gained too many kgs Im having hot flushes & i still feel like crap & want my old self back ( I know that's not gonna happen!) but if I know what to expect it might help me prepare for it! I also want to do some excercise but am unsure what to try.
You all seem like lovely people who will know exactly how I feel.
Linda

Comments

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Linda, Can i say firstly that you really look quite lovely in your photo   The head gear  really suits your face..... You really should be  very proud of yourself  for finishing your chemo treatment, it is probably one of the toughest things you will have to have in your life and you blitz it,  Your a champ.

Cancer takes so much  more from us than just our health. Our emotions are so badly affected along with our self esteem, our lest  and even down to  our  energy which is also  affected... Linda you have been through a rough trot with loosing your breast and  loosing your hair from the chemo ,  so no wonder you don't feel so good.  Give yourself time to come to terms with  the loss and everything else you have just been through.. You will get better with time so just be  kind to yourself .  Dont worry about the extra kgs or anything else because you are still alive and you can deal with the rest later. 

I am on tamoxifen and  the side effects are a pain in the butt. The hot flushes  and sweats  are quite extreme , but with saying that you may not get them any worse than you already have.There is several medications you can try to reduce the intensity of flushes. I hope everything begins  to settles down soon for you and you start to feel good again.

I always felt the need to talk about my cancer for days on end which BCNA really helped me emotionally. If you feel the same way there are so many ladies on hear that have big hearts and are more than willing to chat about what you have gone through.  Good luck   Cheers Jo xx

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Linda, Can i say firstly that you really look quite lovely in your photo   The head gear  really suits your face..... You really should be  very proud of yourself  for finishing your chemo treatment, it is probably one of the toughest things you will have to have in your life and you blitz it,  Your a champ.

Cancer takes so much  more from us than just our health. Our emotions are so badly affected along with our self esteem, our lest  and even down to  our  energy which is also  affected... Linda you have been through a rough trot with loosing your breast and  loosing your hair from the chemo ,  so no wonder you don't feel so good.  Give yourself time to come to terms with  the loss and everything else you have just been through.. You will get better with time so just be  kind to yourself .  Dont worry about the extra kgs or anything else because you are still alive and you can deal with the rest later. 

I am on tamoxifen and  the side effects are a pain in the butt. The hot flushes  and sweats  are quite extreme , but with saying that you may not get them any worse than you already have.There is several medications you can try to reduce the intensity of flushes. I hope everything begins  to settles down soon for you and you start to feel good again.

I always felt the need to talk about my cancer for days on end which BCNA really helped me emotionally. If you feel the same way there are so many ladies on hear that have big hearts and are more than willing to chat about what you have gone through.  Good luck   Cheers Jo xx

• Jrova
    Jrova Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015
    Options
    First of all, congratulations of finishing your chemo; it sucks!! I finished mine about 6 weeks ago, but also had six months of chemo back in 2002 when I was 34 with 2 young daughters. I've had two different tumours 9 years apart. I don't know where to start with regards to advice because there are so many things i'd like to tell you! I never thought I'd ever feel like my old self again after the first diagnosis; it turned my world upside down and I needed a lot of counselling to come to terms with it. But I eventually felt normal again and even forgot about it as the years went by. When I got diagnosed the second time, it was much easier to deal with and we pretty much cruised through it because we knew what to expect. I don't really dwell on what might happen in the future, I focus on the present and enjoy life as much as possible. With regards to exercise, nothing beats walking with an iPod full of upbeat music, and I also used to swim in a heated therapy pool. Even just walking up and down in the pool is great exercise. You didn't mention how you are feeling mentally. If you are feeling sad or detached from others, don't hesitate to find a good counsellor to talk things over with. Everyone has there difficulties coming to terms with breast cancer and it's great to find your feelings are normal. All the girls on this site give great advice too, and will understand what you're going through. If you have questions about tamoxifen, reconstruction, prosthesis or anything else bc related, there's always lots of girls who have been through it and can offer you their personal experiences. Its a comfort to realize you're not alone with what you're going through. xx Jane.
  • Jrova
    Jrova Member Posts: 125
    edited March 2015
    Options
    First of all, congratulations of finishing your chemo; it sucks!! I finished mine about 6 weeks ago, but also had six months of chemo back in 2002 when I was 34 with 2 young daughters. I've had two different tumours 9 years apart. I don't know where to start with regards to advice because there are so many things i'd like to tell you! I never thought I'd ever feel like my old self again after the first diagnosis; it turned my world upside down and I needed a lot of counselling to come to terms with it. But I eventually felt normal again and even forgot about it as the years went by. When I got diagnosed the second time, it was much easier to deal with and we pretty much cruised through it because we knew what to expect. I don't really dwell on what might happen in the future, I focus on the present and enjoy life as much as possible. With regards to exercise, nothing beats walking with an iPod full of upbeat music, and I also used to swim in a heated therapy pool. Even just walking up and down in the pool is great exercise. You didn't mention how you are feeling mentally. If you are feeling sad or detached from others, don't hesitate to find a good counsellor to talk things over with. Everyone has there difficulties coming to terms with breast cancer and it's great to find your feelings are normal. All the girls on this site give great advice too, and will understand what you're going through. If you have questions about tamoxifen, reconstruction, prosthesis or anything else bc related, there's always lots of girls who have been through it and can offer you their personal experiences. Its a comfort to realize you're not alone with what you're going through. xx Jane.
  • LindaD
    edited March 2015
    Options
    As I sit here reading your kind words I find myself crying into my special k, although I have so much good support from family and friends They don't really know how I'm feeling in my head and in my body, so thank you so much. I am usually really positive about everything but I think having school holidays start at the end of my treatment I feel like I haven't had time to myself & everything just becomes a little overwhelming. I am so great full for having my life and knowing that I will be fine eventually it's just getting to that place. I think I'm just impatient!
    I went for my first swim last week and I loved it so I want to keep that up & I think I should give walking a try too.
    Again thank you
    Linda x
  • Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Linda,

I had a mastectomy in June (after two lumpectomies in May)finished my 6 chemos in November and then had 5 weeks radiotherapy and have now had 4 days on Tamoxifen, so am in a similar situation to some of your treatment- no radiotherapy for you??     Only four days in and I am anxiously awaiting some side effects- nothing yet-.

I am wondering if those who have gone before with Tamoxifen can say when the side effects start?

Good Luck to us!

Julia

• Julia44
    Julia44 Member Posts: 361
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Linda,

I had a mastectomy in June (after two lumpectomies in May)finished my 6 chemos in November and then had 5 weeks radiotherapy and have now had 4 days on Tamoxifen, so am in a similar situation to some of your treatment- no radiotherapy for you??     Only four days in and I am anxiously awaiting some side effects- nothing yet-.

I am wondering if those who have gone before with Tamoxifen can say when the side effects start?

Good Luck to us!

Julia

• LindaD
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Julia,
    No no radio for me, that's a plus that I am thankful for its because I had a full mastectomy and I had clear margins. Anyway the tamoxifen is the next step fingers crossed the side effects are not too hard to deal with!
  • Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Options
    Hi Linda, I took Tamoxifen for 4 months with no noticable side effects. I did get the hotflushes, but they have been part of my life for 7 years, apart from the wonderful 3 months that I took HRT. ( breast cancer put an end to that ). I'm now on Femara ( I'm post menopausal now ), and I get side effects, so I'd much prefer the tamoxifen. You mentioned about wanting to do specific exercises, post breast cancer. I had all my surgeries at the Sydney Adventist Hospital in Wahroonga. ( Sydney ). the physio department there, runs classes in the pool and the gym specifically for breast cancer surgery patients. I love these classes, and as we have all been through cancer and the various surgeries, we have a wonderful comraderie between us all. There is no embarrassment with lopsideness or
    baldness, and usually the class concludes with coffee at
    the canteen. The exercises are designed especially for
    our type of surgery and recovery, and many have been
    going for years. I don't know where you are from or
    what hospital you had your surgery, but maybe you
    could enquire at the physio department and see if they
    have a good program running. Also there is an Encore
    program that the YWMCA runs for breast cancer as
    well. It is very inexpensive and is an 8 week session
    and moves around to different areas. I have no other
    details about it, but google could probably help you. Also the BCNA have just released a DVD on pilates specific to breast cancer patients. Good luck with everything. Love Chris xx
    Wishing you all the best for 2012. Love Chris xx
  • Pennybryn
    Pennybryn Member Posts: 43
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Linda,

When I first started on BCNA I had all those feelings that you have described, but I soon found that I felt "so at home" on this site, the ladies are non judgemental, full of advice and love and always ready to jump in and help support you.  They do know what you're going through and how you feel.  So when you are confused, overwhelmed and just not coping, jump on here and you will soon realise that with their help you will start to feel better and more able to confront the issues that face you.  I think it is the fact that we do know how you feel that makes all the difference, and you're not alone.

I try and exercise by walking and plan to swim again after many years not going to the beach.  I must admit I have to push myself to do exercise but once I'm out doing it, it makes me feel good.

Take a step at a time and each day as it comes and soon you will begin to get on top of things.  You might even find you become a BCNA addict like so many of us.

Best wishes and talk to us anytime.

Dalexx