Smiley Ky
Smiley Ky Member Posts: 32
edited January 2012 in General discussion

Hi everyone, I'm 30 yrs old & was diagnosed with Stage 3 cancer in 2010. I've been tested positive for the BRCA2 gene. I've gone thru all the chemo & radio, mast's & at the mo I'm half way thru recon plus on a whole heap of tablets & injections to prevent the cancer from coming back. 

I'm full of questions. I hope people could help me answer them & put my mind at ease. 

Thank you, I look forward to our conversations :-)

Comments

• moira1
    moira1 Member Posts: 449
    edited March 2015

Welcome to our band of friends who are full of support, just what we all need, there are so many on here with different diagnoses, and at different stages of treatment, so don't be scared to ask questions, as we say on here NO question is silly, so good luck, and hope to hear from you. Regard Moira

• Smiley Ky
    edited March 2015

Thank you for your warm welcomes. 

I had Lat Dorsi reconstruction. I've got tissue expanders under neath the muscles. I wanted to ask the ladies out there who have had the same op what sort of exercises do they do? I used to do Pilates but it just feels uncomfortable now & I have no strength in my arms. I know it'll take some time to get back into but I wondered what everyone else is doing in the way of gentle exercises?

Many thanks.

• Tanya
    Tanya Member Posts: 380
    edited March 2015

Hi Ky

I had the tissue expanders for about twelve months before my exchange surgery.  I found most exercises uncomfortable even swimming cause my expanders kinda wanted to float and they would slosh around like two children at the pool who just wanted to excape lol.  I am now 4 years out and I have returned to normal exercise and the strenght has returned.  have you tried the encore program which is designed for us BC girls and yoga is another good one.  Your strength will return in time.

Many young women I know have the BRACA 1 gene, not sure what the difference is between the 1 and 2?

Hopefully many other young ones will see your post and give some advice.  Good luck and feel free to ask away.

Much love  Tanya xx

• Tanya
    edited March 2015

Hi Ky

I had the tissue expanders for about twelve months before my exchange surgery.  I found most exercises uncomfortable even swimming cause my expanders kinda wanted to float and they would slosh around like two children at the pool who just wanted to excape lol.  I am now 4 years out and I have returned to normal exercise and the strenght has returned.  have you tried the encore program which is designed for us BC girls and yoga is another good one.  Your strength will return in time.

Many young women I know have the BRACA 1 gene, not sure what the difference is between the 1 and 2?

Hopefully many other young ones will see your post and give some advice.  Good luck and feel free to ask away.

Much love  Tanya xx

• Tanya
    edited March 2015

Hi Ky

Much love  Tanya xx

• sillysam83
    sillysam83 Member Posts: 378
    edited March 2015

I cant help much, I had a diff recon than u (tissue expanders replaced by silicone implants) but I got heaps of my arm strength back by doing Personal Training sessions, expensive but worth it ! What state r u from? there are free excercise programs out there that are for breast cancer patients and can be very helpful as well as a good chance to meet other women who have been thru it too... a very popular one is dragonboating! :) 

• Smiley Ky
    edited March 2015

Thanks Danielle, I'll Google that exercise video.

Yeah, I had the tissue expanders put in then one got infected, got it removed & waiting for it to go back in *sigh* I'm getting impatient for my new boobs!! LOL

No I don't have any children. My partner & I will be trying after all the drugs are over & done with. We sort of have a plan & spoken to professionals so see what happens :)