Last Herceptin

Allicat
Allicat Member Posts: 83
edited January 2012 in Health and wellbeing

Tomorrow is my last Herceptin. 17 down, 1 to go! Back when I started I couldn't imagine that I would one day get to the finish. It is amazing.

I feel a bit sad about it. I like going to the chemo room and sitting in a comfy chair and chatting with the nurses. I get the morning off work and I can relax and do the crossword and eat free food. Yes, I get a needle stuck in my arm but nothing's perfect.

I also feel comforted by knowing that I am going to the hospital so that I am being monitored and if anything is worrying me I have a chance to talk to a doctor. It is a bit scary to not have that security blanket.

First I had to adjust to having cancer, then I had to adjust to not having cancer any more but still having treatment. And now I will need to adjust to not going to the chemo room for treatment any more. It is all a lot of adjustments.

Comments

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015

Aren't we funny little people?  I understand entirely.  I still have my portacath in (7 months since I finished chemo) as my surgeon wants it in for 2 years after chemo - WHY.  (I've already stated that I am not having any more chemo - suppose I will play his silly game!!)  Anyway by having the portacath in I need to have it flushed every 4 weeks.  This means a trip to the chemo room every month.  I get to speak with the lovely nurses and of course get to meet those who are having chemo.  I feel it keeps me "connected" - in a positive way.  Unfortunately it is not easy to "get away from cancer" and we can never fully "break free".  I also like being around "cancer free" people so that I can "pretend" I am NORMAL.  You will be fine and you will advance into another "phase" of this "journey".  Best wishes. XLeonie