Donna

donnar
donnar Member Posts: 61
edited February 2014 in Health and wellbeing

Hello everyone, with xmas and new year coming is alcohol a no no? I'm a moderate drinker but was just wondering.. I've started chemo ( AC) for breast cancer with 2nd treatment next Thurs and it would be nice to raise a glass if ok'd. I'll ask when I see my oncologist next week. :-)

Comments

• hilsandglen
    hilsandglen Member Posts: 95
    edited March 2015

Hi, hope your treatment is being kind to you ? My onc told me there was no problem with the odd glass or two ! the only problem I found is I couldn't tolerate it ! Bummer.....All alcohol tasted like metal and I just couldn't stand to swallow it as it then burnt my throat. I dran Ginger beer instead, bubbly and helped with the nausea. Hope you are travelling well and best wishes for a peaceful Christmas Regards Hilary xx

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Hi Donna, my Oncologist also said a little alcohol was fine. I'm not a big drinker, but one or two glasses of wine never seemed to hurt me when we were out for dinner. Hope you have a good Christmas.
    Love Chris xx
  • donnar
    edited March 2015

Thank you so much Chris and and Hilary thats great to know. I think I might have a nice glass of wine tonight.  I'm traveling well taking it easy. Have a lovely xmas and new year too. Love Donna xx

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015

I also love an occasional glass of wine, but found that my favourite red smelt and tasted "off" due to the chemo (FEC and Taxotere.) It took nearly a year for me to be able to have a drink again, One positive aspect was that I was breathalysed 3 times in that 12 months and blew 0.00 each time!

Enjoy your Christmas drink,

Joy K

• Joy K
    Joy K Member Posts: 158
    edited March 2015

I also love an occasional glass of wine, but found that my favourite red smelt and tasted "off" due to the chemo (FEC and Taxotere.) It took nearly a year for me to be able to have a drink again, One positive aspect was that I was breathalysed 3 times in that 12 months and blew 0.00 each time!

Enjoy your Christmas drink,

Joy K

• donnar
    edited March 2015

Thanks Joy, I know what you mean about the breathlisers- I'm as sober as a judge and haven't been pulled over-please pull me over!  I'm looking forward to the odd glass or two over xmas which tastes better I'm finding mid cycle.. not at the start for me as my taste is funny.. Have a lovelt xmas, Donna :-)

• LeeS
    LeeS Member Posts: 128
    edited March 2015

Hi Donna! Merry Christmas. Have a wine or two!...My oncologist and surgeon ( a wife and hubby team!) would remind me that stress isn't good for us either so take the guilt away and enjoy a well-deserved chill! I couldn't drink or even look at a bottle of wine without throwing up during my chemo and even for a couple of years afterwards!...I enjoy a glass a night now, am over the nausea...but still feel guilty...although less so as time goes on! (I indulge in more than that on occasion too...Christmas day will be one of them!)

On that...you should see the BC ladies indulge when we get together at BCNA summits/training etc!

Cheers to you. See you again online soon,

LeeS.X

• donnar
    edited March 2015

cheers LeeS, I hope you had a merry xmas! I'm sittng here right now airing a nice bottle of red wine. I'm looking forward to having a glass ( or two) tonight. I had my 2nd treatment of AC on Thur 22nd and feel my tummy is starting to come good again. It can be a guilt thing can't it? which is silly as its not like I go all out. I'll keep an eye out for he BCNA summits/training sounds fab!

Take care and thank you! Donna xx

• LeeS
    edited March 2015

I hope you enjoyed your Christmas drinks. Well done!

In August this year there was the BCNA national summit in Melbourne. Ladies flew from all over the country for it. We attended various sessions and talks covering a range of topics during the days and then went out at night for dinner and a big party on the last night. BCNA also hold Forums during the year around the country...another great way to meet others with a similar experience.

Perhaps we'll meet some time.

All the best,

Lee. x

• donnar
    edited March 2015

Thanks for that LeeS, I'll def keep an eye out

. Well after planning on enjoying the odd glass of wine or two over xmas just couldn't stomach it.. especially with the metalic taste and for some reason smell of amonia. coming good now

take care, Donna x

• LeeS
    edited March 2015

lol...we saved heaps of money in 2007 and 2008 due to no hair and no booze...not much food was eaten for a while there too! "them's the breaks!"XX