Farewell, and thanks to you all!

Options
Lyn Swinburne
Lyn Swinburne Member Posts: 6
edited December 2011 in General discussion

I want to take this opportunity to thank all those people, and especially our BCNA women, for your support, encouragment and love over the years.

I have said on many occasions that my first advocacy thoughts following my diagnosis in 1993 were about improving a system that mostly didn't work for me.  In my ignorance and naiveity, I didn't realised that in some ways this would be like turning around the Queen Mary!

I am stunned and so impressed with what has been achieved.  Certainly there were no thoughts about creating such a powerful, influential and effective organisation such as the BCNA we have today, but that's why I am so proud as I step down from my role as CEO.

People have asked me why I made the decision to retire from this wonderful role.  The truth is that it's now that I CAN!  I know this to be the correct decision for me for a whole lot of reasons. 

Here's my top ten!

1. BCNA is rock solid - an organisation in sound, robust shape.
2. We have appointed a fabulous new leader -- Maxine Morand -- who will take BCNA to even greater heights.
3. Our Chair, Marg O'Donnell and a stable team of Board members will ensure BCNA is governed well.
4. We have healthy relationships and mutual respect from both sides of government.  Both the Prime Minister and the Health Minister are great supporters.
5. We have fantastic staff members who are committed and extremely capable.
6. Our sponsors are behind us 100%.  Bakers Delight, Sussan, Berlei passionately believe in us and our work.
7. Our Member Groups, Consumer Representatives, Community Liaisons are our eyes, ears and action people at a community level.
8. We have 63,000+ members whose voices will drive our advocacy efforts.
9. I need to have a break and then establish a new life for myself which will include a heap of stuff from my bucket list which keeps growing.
10. Until we find a cure for breast cancer, there is so much more to be done and BCNA has a full workplan for the future!

So, as they say in  cricket, 'How's That?'

It's been a very long time since my own diagnosis; almost 19 years in fact.  Still I remember how scary that time was for me and how helpless I felt.  I was very fearful for my children Eliza and James who were 8 and 6 at the time.  Now they are beautiful, capable adults living their onw lives.  So much has happened, and so many hours have been dedicated to this cause by me and my family and we have so much to be grateful for.  But it has all been worth every minute, every conversation, every new friendhsip made even though some have been made and lost again.  One of my mentors was a bloke called Sir Peter Derham and he once told me that 'Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration', and I can see now that he was right.  Anything worth fighting for and every change we make is is hard yakka, otherwise it would have been achieved long ago.

I am so grateful that I can now look back on my contribution with enormous pride.  I know I haven't always got it right and there were plenty of boo boos along the way, but mostly it's been progress forward and I can now look at myself in the mirror, see past all the wrinkles and be proud of what I have done.

Thanks to you all for the contribution you have made to our combined successes.  Whilst I step back, we will need many of you to keep the momentum happening.  I'm relying on you!

With my love

Lyn

Comments

• pisces_tas
    pisces_tas Member Posts: 474
    edited March 2015
    Options

Hi Lyn,

I have never met you, but have watched your achievements with others, through the years. I was diagnosed in 1998.

All the best, Kathy.

• Leonie Moore
    Leonie Moore Member Posts: 1,470
    edited March 2015
    Options

Wow "Darl",   Thank you, thank you and more thank you.  I was told recently that my purpose on this earth was for "personal development".  I had been "lost" in the sea of life for a long time until BC.  To others astonishment, I say that BC has been so "beneficial and a positive experience" for me.  It has allowed me to connect with BCNA and all that IT has to offer - resources, opportunities, companionship with outstanding women and men and so much more.  I do believe "things" happen for a reason - my reason is BCNA.  I have "gotten" so much from BCNA and the little I can return in the form of support to others is my blessing.  Thank you for being YOU and wanting to help others. I am truly grateful for all of your hard YAKKA.  Enjoy your bucket list items - you deserve it.  XLeonie

• Jo.L.
    Jo.L. Member Posts: 89
    edited March 2015
    Options

So Long Farewell Take Care loves Ya Darl... mHope you loved your quilt. Breast Intentions word... Hilarious because you are. A big HUG from the Peninsula xx