Reaching out

Kevins mum
Kevins mum Member Posts: 5
edited December 2011 in General discussion

Well had a positive routine check with the medical oncologist yesterday and he exceeded expectations. Along with the usual questions about my progress and a physical exam, he asked me about my support and suggested a support group.  I have gone through that typical downer following treatment (lumpectomy, chemo and radio) - the fatigue was worse weeks after treatment ceased which shocked me somewhat. Whilst I see a psychologist regularly the med oncologist felt that I would benefit from linking with other women living with or surviving breast cancer.  I shared this with a BC buddy and she recommended this network.  Thanks A. I was diagnosed a year ago, two months after losing my husband after a long illness.  It's been a big year. 

Comments

• Kevins mum
    edited March 2015

Joy K thanks for responding to my first post.  I am so pleased to hear that you are feeling great in your challenging context and that you coasted through treatments well.  I hope that you have escaped the tiredness and that you can continue to enjoy feeling great.

Keep well

Kevin's mum x

• Kevins mum
    edited March 2015

Thanks Tonya.  Yes it has been a big year and I somehow wonder where it's gone.  At times during chemo I was feeling each minute and doubting my capacity to get through it.  My children (adults) were wonderful as was my sister but at times I felt very alone. I am much better at living in the moment now which I really appreciate. xx

• Lyn11
    Lyn11 Member Posts: 272
    edited March 2015

Hi Kevin's Mum, I tried to go it alone but soon realised I really needed to talk to someone who had been through the same as I had. First of all I found this site and it was wonderful....so inspiring. Then I wanted more. I wanted face to face. But there was nothing around my area so I started my own group and it was the best thing I could have done. I love my group and I love all the ladies. They lift me when I need lifting and make me laugh again and I hope I do the same for them. Have you looked for a support group in your area? We are in North Brisbane and if you are anywhere near us you would be made very welcome.

You have had a pretty bummer year but as we are nearing 2012, let's hope things improve.

Love,
    Lynne

• jo1234
    jo1234 Member Posts: 291
    edited March 2015

Hi Kevins Mum,

I'm so sorry that you have endured a rotten year with losing you beloved husband and having breast cancer as well. I understand you when you say your grown up kids were wonderful but you also felt very alone.  Family and friends  are wonderful  but I found that   unless someone has had BC themselves then they really do not understand the true emotional effects it has on the sufferer.  

I am  glad you have found your way onto this site as there are so many wonderful women that  have been through BC like yourself and can understand and sympathize with you. I am one of the lucky ones because i have only had cancer once and have just finished radiations last week.

I wish you all the best and hope to hear from you soon. Cheers Jo xx

• Kevins mum
    edited March 2015

Hi Jo,

Many thanks for your supportive comments. You are so right about needing to link with other women who have or are experiencing BC.  One thing I find very difficult to explain to others, who don't have this experience, is the impact of chemo brain.  I have worked to manage it and it is not impacting on work - but it's like nothing else I have experienced in terms of memory.  I describe it as having black holes in my memory - like swiss cheese!  Not a welcome side effect i must say!

love Kevin's mum. 

• Kevins mum
    edited March 2015

Thanks Lynne,

Yes I may look for a face to face group - not sure yet.  I am in Melbourne but I really appreciate the invitation.  But I must say that I am always struck by the shared sense of 'knowing' and empathy when you meet and talk with a fellow BC sufferer or survivor.   

Kevin's mum x

• kay
    kay Member Posts: 73
    edited March 2015

Quote from Jo below

Hi Kevins Mum,

I'm so sorry that you have endured a rotten year with losing you beloved husband and having breast cancer as well. I understand you when you say your grown up kids were wonderful but you also felt very alone.  Family and friends  are wonderful  but I found that   unless someone has had BC themselves then they really do not understand the true emotional effects it has on the sufferer.  

I am  glad you have found your way onto this site as there are so many wonderful women that  have been through BC like yourself and can understand and sympathize with you.

I'm with Jo as she said above. I was diagnosed two years ago. I still have trouble with chemo brain & can't describe it to others. I am on a low antidepressant now & I think that has helped.

You have had a big year losing your husband and chemo as well. My heart goes out ot you.

Kay

• Mouse
    Mouse Member Posts: 32
    edited March 2015

Just to share with you and others- how's this for chemo brain " I forgot to go and get my bloods checked before my final chemo session. Now I reckon that takes the cake!!

Mouse xx