How to get on public hospital waitlist for breast reconstruction?

Julia44
Julia44 Member Posts: 361
edited December 2011 in General discussion

Hello,

Can anyone advise me how to get on the public waitlist for reconstruction surgery?  I am in Sydney near RPAH. I will probably suss out how much is costs privately but would like to also put down for public in case I can't afford it and I assume it is a long waitlist!

Thank You,

Julia

Comments

• Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Hi Julia, I have now started reconstruction with tissue expanders, but before I chose my surgeon and hospital, I had a consult with a Dr from RPA. This was Professor David Pennington, and he was excellent. Because his main hospital of choice is RPA, I'm pretty sure he would have a private and a public list. If you were to ring his rooms, I'm sure his secretary would be able to advise you. Another Dr who I know does both private and public, is Megan Hassall, and she works at RNSH. For both of these Drs, I have seen their work for implants, TRAM and DIEP. They are really good Drs, and produce excellent results with happy patients. Megan is so popular, that you will need to wait about 5 months to see her. I know, as I had an appointment with her, and in the end got sick of waiting, so decided to go with a
    plastic surgeon who operated at a ptivate hospital near
    me. I hope this might help.
    Love Chris xxx
  • Chris
    Chris Member Posts: 813
    edited March 2015
    Hi Julia, I have now started reconstruction with tissue expanders, but before I chose my surgeon and hospital, I had a consult with a Dr from RPA. This was Professor David Pennington, and he was excellent. Because his main hospital of choice is RPA, I'm pretty sure he would have a private and a public list. If you were to ring his rooms, I'm sure his secretary would be able to advise you. Another Dr who I know does both private and public, is Megan Hassall, and she works at RNSH. For both of these Drs, I have seen their work for implants, TRAM and DIEP. They are really good Drs, and produce excellent results with happy patients. Megan is so popular, that you will need to wait about 5 months to see her. I know, as I had an appointment with her, and in the end got sick of waiting, so decided to go with a
    plastic surgeon who operated at a ptivate hospital near
    me. I hope this might help.
    Love Chris xxx